• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Dual Deploy Altimiter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Major Tom

Reaction score
Hi folks, I am looking for a used but working DD altimeter to put in a Badazz Defender MK 3. I am aware of the low priced adept and rrc models, but am trying to finish this so I can certify without taking out a second mortgage. Just wanted to see if I could spend less. I know there will be some who will say "you gotta pay to play" , " find a new hobby", etc. I know it's an expensive hobby, but I am still going to find a way to complete this (and continue) .With that said, if you have a spare you are willing to part with for a fair price, please let me know. Thanks!

just pin and rivet the ebay and put the chute in the fin can, fly it single deploy....most people don't fly electronics on their L1, especially on a heavy rocket like the mk3

PM sent.
Hi folks, I am looking for a used but working DD altimeter to put in a Badazz Defender MK 3. I am aware of the low priced adept and rrc models, but am trying to finish this so I can certify without taking out a second mortgage. Just wanted to see if I could spend less. I know there will be some who will say "you gotta pay to play" , " find a new hobby", etc. I know it's an expensive hobby, but I am still going to find a way to complete this (and continue) .With that said, if you have a spare you are willing to part with for a fair price, please let me know. Thanks!

KISS. Keep it simple. My first eletronics cert flight was my level 3.

If you are going to use an altimeter as standard practice then I say go for it from the start. I used one for my L1 flight, although it was relatively low so I just used it to deploy the main and fire a couple e-matches as practice for true DD. I feel a lot better about altimeter controlled apogee events than I do trying to get a delay right. I have flown all my limited number of HPR flights under altimeter control with motor backup as I want to be as sure as I can that I won't be responsible for dropping a 4 lb lawn dart on someone.

Make your cert what you want it to be. What's the worse that happens the alt fails, the motor blows the drogue a bot past apogee, your rocket hits hard under drogue and you don't get your cert. Life will go on, you will get another try.

All that being said, you won't have to do DD on this flight if you don't really want to.

KISS. Keep it simple. My first eletronics cert flight was my level 3.

That is surprising to me. It seems as though most of the HPR build threads include electronics. I think my problem is that I don't have a lot of access to launches and I am getting a skewed idea of how I should go about this. That and the idea of my rocket landing a little closer appealed to me.Maybe I'll rethink this.

It all really depends on what you want to get out of the certification.

• If getting the certification a simple stepping stone to access larger motors, then follow the KISS principle. You can easily certify L2 on a 6# rocket with a J350 and motor ejection.
  • If you want to prove something to yourself, or whomever, knock your socks off. Make it as complex as makes you feel like you have achieved your goal.

My L2 flight started out the day as a seriously complex plan with a deployment bag based tether controlled arrangement. At the last minute I started to have doubts on the whole complicated mess, tore it all out, slipped in a J350 and flew a simple straightforward flight. Later that day I actually did my original plan successfully when I was a lot more calm.

In any case - it's a hobby, the only wrong way to do it is the way that is not fun for you.

Last edited:
Another example:

I've done over 70 dual deploy flights. On May 17, 2014 I did my L1. I built the rocket for dual deploy and even had an altimeter on board yet for this flight I decided to take the KISS route.
Did a simulation in Open Rocket to determine the delay and used motor ejection for recovery. Got the rocket back with out a scratch and was a happy L1 camper.
Later in the day I flew the same rocket with dual deploy, also recovered it with out a scratch but I wasn't under so much stress :)

The OP didn't say anything about L1, nor did he ask "If" he should use electronics... He's looking for help if anyone has a DD altimeter they might want to sell.

We all have our reasons for what we do in the hobby. Both my L1 and L2 birds were scratch designs, and my L2 used electronics. Yes, there may be easier ways to accomplish certification if that's your only goal, but as others have said time and again, fly what you like.

The OP didn't say anything about L1, nor did he ask "If" he should use electronics... He's looking for help if anyone has a DD altimeter they might want to sell.

We all have our reasons for what we do in the hobby. Both my L1 and L2 birds were scratch designs, and my L2 used electronics. Yes, there may be easier ways to accomplish certification if that's your only goal, but as others have said time and again, fly what you like.

I took the above highlighted to mean that he did. In any event, I think that this place can give a scewed view of how much electronics are used...certainly half or less of the high power flights I see go up at our monthly launches don't use electronics.

You do have a point that we may have drifted a bit off topic though.

Last edited:
The OP wanted to buy a "used" altimeter on the cheap. Ok, I like cheap. Heck I think free is better. Folks took it one step further and demonstrated that there were a fair number of situations for HPR flying and certification up to L2 w/o electronics. A little additional info from experienced flyers was not out of context for the question.

And I sent him a PM about selling an altimeter. He still hasn't responded. I want to get an RRC2+, so I am selling my Adept.

Some simple advice: Don't push yourself into something you are not ready for or don't fully understand.

I flew my L1 with a SU motor, using just motor deploy.
I tinkered with DD until I got the feel for it...some simple low alt flights.
Just before my L2 I did one test flight with an I.
It had the exact configurations for the L2 except: I omitted the drogue; as it almost cost me a rocket.

The L2 went off perfect, without a hitch.

Good Luck!

JD

Some simple advice: Don't push yourself into something you are not ready for or don't fully understand.

I flew my L1 with a SU motor, using just motor deploy.
I tinkered with DD until I got the feel for it...some simple low alt flights.
Just before my L2 I did one test flight with an I.
It had the exact configurations for the L2 except: I omitted the drogue; as it almost cost me a rocket.

The L2 went off perfect, without a hitch.

Good Luck!

JD

Thank you. I would start with a SU motor, but it's a heavier 54 mm min diameter rocket and I don't know if there is one that would do the job.

That is surprising to me. It seems as though most of the HPR build threads include electronics. I think my problem is that I don't have a lot of access to launches and I am getting a skewed idea of how I should go about this. That and the idea of my rocket landing a little closer appealed to me.Maybe I'll rethink this.

You have to understand that the majority of the rockets you see at a launch don't have build threads on them. Don't let the things you see online skew you, let the things you actually see fly steer you into the right direction. People tend to get into electronics to add complications, not because they are needed.

Thank you. I would start with a SU motor, but it's a heavier 54 mm min diameter rocket and I don't know if there is one that would do the job.

That kit will fly fine with a nice 38mm H or I single use. In the long run they are not your cheapest option but if you are only doing this a few times then they are a great option. The Aerotech DMS line seems to be growing by the day so there are plenty of options there. Put your plans on hold a bit, get out to a launch and watch, kick some tires and learn. See what an H or I will actually fly, run the numbers (not sim). Then stick a motor in your altimeter less Defender and have fun.

Back