Popular 29's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering getting the complete line of RT cases from WM for $162, but kind of would like to know from you guys if it's worth buying the complete set or just the case that offers the most reloads. The discount price is exactly the same whether you buy one at time or all of them. So I'm just throwing it out there. I know the bigger the case the more it will cost to fly the reload, but if I wanted to fly cheap I could always use my hobby line case as well.

How many times do you fly per year. The more you fly the more you save.

It depends on a million things. I've got all of them... I find myself using the 240 the most, then the 120. The 360's take a couple rides a year.

You might want to consider the 360 complete motor (which contains the seal disc) and the 120 case in tandem with the 29mm Reload adapter system; Part #29RAS. This should save you a fair amount of dollars and you'll have every configuration available for whichever reload. The money you save should buy you a reload or three... You'll carry a little extra weight when "stepping" the cases down, but that's not a big deal in my view.

From observation, the 240 and 180 reloads are about equal in popularity followed by the 360, then, 120, and finally the 100 and 60.

If you have the hobbyline cases, I think there's marginal gain from getting the 29/60-120 cases. Maybe the 29/360 and the spacer system would be the best bet. There are alot of motors for the 240 case, like the awesome H250G, and quite a few for the 180 case as well. I have the 29/180, 29/360, and the hobbyline as well as the spacer system. That way I can fly the G77R in the 29/120, but that's just my personal color preference.

I have the 29/180 and 29/240. My personal preference is the 240, which gets the overwhelming majority of flights. I agree with Nute that the H250G is one of my favorites!

If you have the hobbyline cases, I think there's marginal gain from getting the 29/60-120 cases. Maybe the 29/360 and the spacer system would be the best bet. There are alot of motors for the 240 case, like the awesome H250G, and quite a few for the 180 case as well. I have the 29/180, 29/360, and the hobbyline as well as the spacer system. That way I can fly the G77R in the 29/120, but that's just my personal color preference.

I agree. The upside to the 60, 100 and 120 cases compared to the 40-120 hobby line hardware seems limited. The only exception that comes to mind is AeroTech's re-release of the G25 for the 120 case. Other than that, I would keep it simple and stick with the 40-120 hardware for the E through G motors and just get the 360 motor and the spacer system. You'll essentially have comparable reloads on the lower end while saving a good amount of money to spend on reloads...........

I fly the 120/180/240/360, I like that there are redline loads for all of them. Multiple closures allow me to build more than one the night before. I use the 29/40-120 just for the full F reloads.

Thanks guys for all your input. Since I got my friend hooked on the hobby and we are pretty much at the same level everything we buy we split the cost. This includes building materials, motors and of course the cases. I'll probably get the high power motor set from Wildman for $162

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/ProductDetail.aspx?product=2054

It seems reasonable and maybe I'll get an extra set of closures so myself and my friend can assemble our motors at the same time. I think we are planning a drag race for out L1's I think that would be pretty cool. I really would lik eto stay at the 29's for awhile. It seems somewhat more affordable and it will allow me to launch more often throughout the year.

If you haven't already got the AT hardware,you might want to look into CTI. They have some very nice motors, and you can go from a F all the way to a baby H with only two cases (a 3-grain and a 6-grain) with their spacer system. They're a lot easier to assemble than the AT motors too... you pretty much just put the load in the case and screw on the end closure.

If you haven't already got the AT hardware,you might want to look into CTI. They have some very nice motors, and you can go from a F all the way to a baby H with only two cases (a 3-grain and a 6-grain) with their spacer system. They're a lot easier to assemble than the AT motors too... you pretty much just put the load in the case and screw on the end closure.

I appreciate the input, but I really don't like CTI. I'd rather take the extra time time putting together an AT motor than to spend additional ca$h for a CTI reload. I actually enjoy assembling the AT motors and never have had any kind of issues.

Thanks guys for all your input. Since I got my friend hooked on the hobby and we are pretty much at the same level everything we buy we split the cost. This includes building materials, motors and of course the cases. I'll probably get the high power motor set from Wildman for $162

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/ProductDetail.aspx?product=2054

It seems reasonable and maybe I'll get an extra set of closures so myself and my friend can assemble our motors at the same time. I think we are planning a drag race for out L1's I think that would be pretty cool. I really would lik eto stay at the 29's for awhile. It seems somewhat more affordable and it will allow me to launch more often throughout the year.

Good friend to have. I wouldn't hesitate to introduce him to 38mm's, followed very closely by 54mm's, then; well, you get the picture....

Good friend to have. I wouldn't hesitate to introduce him to 38mm's, followed very closely by 54mm's, then; well, you get the picture....

Funny you should say that. He's the one wanting to get involved in 38's because there's that DARKSTAR Dual Deploy he wants .. I told him slow down and have fun. Get your L1 first. Yeah we are suppose to drag race on our L1 flights. His GFORCE against my SUMO and he did some repairs and paint on his GFORCE and I swear if he jinxed the flights I'm gonna hit him. I told him the rocket gods don't like it when you repaint a rocket... I can see it now. Mine will leave the pad first and his will have a longer delay on the pad. Next think you know his rocket will collide with mine as mine is deploying the chute and his will tear right through the chute as it opens and destroy it, whiles his opens lands safely on the ground while mine comes in ballistic!! Yeah just what I need to shot out of the sky!!

Last edited:
First I predict you'll be flying L's in a year.

A 38mm 360/720 set with an RAS is pretty cheap. But grab the 29 set and enjoy it.... lots of great motors.

First I predict you'll be flying L's in a year.

A 38mm 360/720 set with an RAS is pretty cheap. But grab the 29 set and enjoy it.... lots of great motors.

Yes exactly...enjoy is the key word here. Not race up the levels...there's a lot of scratch builds I want to try and I have a few cool 29mm kits I want to build maybe even throw in a scaled SV

I fly lots of the g's in 29 40/120 have 2 cases , 9/10 launches I'm driving MH and at site a few hrs before it starts , 1:00 pm start so have a idea what weather is and proceed to assemble AT motors .. if 38mm atm I'm screwed only have 1 set of closures :(

I have the 29 240 case and have never used it but on bucket list to

38 mm I can fly every load AT makes with adapters .. which adapter wise have only used once because I like to stuff case with all it will take :)

I would but the 180 and 240 cases. Between those cases and spacers there are a bunch of loads.

I want to get the 360 for a potential rocket I have in Rocksim, but there are so many cases I want and so little cash:)

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I love my 29 40-120 case and pick up Fs and Gs from hobbylinc.com for cheap and no hazmat on shipping, because the grains are in separate bags.

I have 3 of the 180 cases I picked up last year and am enjoying now.

I have the 180 and 240 (love that H250G), and just recently got the 120 case as there is no longer a redline for the hobby case. One can hope the G71 will return, but I'm not that patient. Lots of choices in these sizes. And comparatively cheap as well.

So here's what I decided to do. Rather than buying the whole set of 29's I decided it would be best for me to just buy the 29/240. One it has more motors for it and I save money not buying the entire set. I figure if I'm not going to fly them all, why bother? I also have the hobby line case 29-40/120 that gets a lot of use. So I might go to a launch and take a few high motors and maybe a dozen G motors. I think it would be nice balance. My friend Matt and I plan on drag racing for our L1's using the 29/240 case. I plan on borrowing a case for the race and we will be flying the H250G-10 motor. I think I simmed the GFORCE at 1925' and the SUMO come in at 2145' either way I think it would be a cool way to bring in the high power status. I have until November to get ready and need to finish painting the SUMO, but the weather this past weekend had a humidity of 82%!!!

So the money I save from not buying the entire 29 set I can buy a couple 38 cases .. trying to streamline it so I don't lose my mind and wallet.

Something I've observed in my use of cases- I have the reload adapter system for both 38 and 54 mm (not 29). Originally it was to let me own fewer cases (which I did initially), but over time I now have almost all the 38 and 54 sizes. I still use the RAS a lot though, because it lets me fly two motors that would normally use the same case, but without cleaning the case in between. For example, I fly a lot of the 38/360 reloads (my favorite size), so I frequently use my 360 case and my 480 case with RAS to launch two 360 motors. Point being, the RAS system is useful even after you acquire a full set of cases, so it and a couple cases is a great way to start.

For hi power I like the 29/240 with my favorite being the H220 Blue Thunder. For mid power I go to the 29/40-120 with my favorite being the G64 white lightning.

So the money I save from not buying the entire 29 set I can buy a couple 38 cases .. trying to streamline it so I don't lose my mind and wallet.

No No NO don't save. get all of them, they are so .....

case2_zps08e35eb9.jpg

I fly mostly the 180 case and the 40-120 for G53, G76, and G138. I do not like the Hobbyline case for E or F motors. If I am going to fly an F, then I will get a reload for the 60. I only used a 240 case once when I was going for my L1 because the local vendor was out of anything for the 180 case and I borrowed Dallen's 240 case. Otherwise, if I am going beyond the 180 case, I jump over to the 38 mm cases.

I fly mostly the 180 case and the 40-120 for G53, G76, and G138. I do not like the Hobbyline case for E or F motors. If I am going to fly an F, then I will get a reload for the 60. I only used a 240 case once when I was going for my L1 because the local vendor was out of anything for the 180 case and I borrowed Dallen's 240 case. Otherwise, if I am going beyond the 180 case, I jump over to the 38 mm cases.

Yeah that makes sense, but we wanted to get a 240 case because out of all the 29 cases that one offers the most reloads, The 40/120 case is a fun case to fly all the other rockets and not hurt the wallet so much. Probably jump right into the 38's after the L1 flights. Gives a reasonable and affordable mix of variety.

I started buying AT cases before CTI became available. I have the HobbyLine for E to G, the 29/180 & 29/240 for H, and the 38/240, 360, 480, 600, & 720 for the full H thur I range. Of course the 720 is for the baby Js, but for most Level 2 I go with the 54/1280 & 1706 and CTI 6GXL with or without spacers. Those case allow me to fly the full range of motors from E to small L. I can't fly every reload, but enough to keep me entertained!

The way I see it, there isn't a lot of advantage in getting the cases on either extreme end of any of the sizes. The 29/360 can be replaced with a lot more reloads in the 38/360. The 38/1080 can be replaced with more reloads in the 54/1280. The same applies when looking at the low end like the 29/60 & 120 cases can be replace with the HobbyLine, the 38/120 by the Hobbyline or a 29/240. It's just my thinking, but I won't get one of the cases on the ends of the ranges unless there is a specific motor I just have to be able to fly. I haven't come across one in the 8 years I've been flying HPR, but you never know. For those that do have that one reload they just have to fly, by all means, get the case! Enjoy!

Back