'Flying' a new parachute through the neighborhood

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRLewis

Reaction score
A new parachute arrived in the mail today. Biggest I've every purchased. Fruity Chutes Iris Ultra 96". Couldn't resist 'flying' it up and down the street in my neighborhood. I must have looked quite the fool. But OMG it was lots of fun. Anyone else done this?

Tie it to your back and everyone will just think you are are training for some sport.
See kids running back and forth on the soccer fields with chutes tied to them all the time.

I've been thinking of putting a harness on my cat, my LOC parachute, and giving her a go! She'd take off running at full speed and only be going about 5 mph!

Tie it to a shopping cart, sit in the cart, and let a stiff breeze propel you down the street.

Not quite, but close.

I made up a chute that looks very much like yours. It started a 9 foot X form and was a bit small for what it was intended. I filled in the spaces between the X legs to make a semi-hemi chute from it. I haven't used it yet but that's in the plans.

I've been thinking of putting a harness on my cat, my LOC parachute, and giving her a go! She'd take off running at full speed and only be going about 5 mph!

Ummm... I actually did this. I really don't recommend it. I got really nasty looks from the cat and the wife!!!

Ummm... I actually did this. I really don't recommend it. I got really nasty looks from the cat and the wife!!!

It wasn't so much you tied a parachute to the cat it was your laughing your a** off when you did it ;)

I made up a chute that looks very much like yours. It started a 9 foot X form and was a bit small for what it was intended. I filled in the spaces between the X legs to make a semi-hemi chute from it. I haven't used it yet but that's in the plans.
That's the basic premise of the "Crossfire" chute from Top Flight, which is what you see in the picture. I don't think I can sew strait enough to make one that large myself.

When grandma's eyes started going bad she taught me to use her sewing machine. I was 13-14 and very active so I'd wearout or rip my clothes a lot. I learned patching my own pants :) Moved onto parachutes more than 20 years ago. I got a hotknife blade to fit my Weller soldering iron to cut the nylon and sewed up my first chute, the one I used in my all scratch Conformation rocket. It looked like a hot air balloon coming down :)

When grandma's eyes started going bad she taught me to use her sewing machine. I was 13-14 and very active so I'd wearout or rip my clothes a lot. I learned patching my own pants :) Moved onto parachutes more than 20 years ago. I got a hotknife blade to fit my Weller soldering iron to cut the nylon and sewed up my first chute, the one I used in my all scratch Conformation rocket. It looked like a hot air balloon coming down :)
I somehow managed to retain what I learned in the 8th grade. I've never made a parachute larger than about 36", think I'll take a stab at something a little larger.

I somehow managed to retain what I learned in the 8th grade. I've never made a parachute larger than about 36", think I'll take a stab at something a little larger.

There's something really satisfying about seeing your rockets come down under a chute you made yourself. Sewing machines are a skill that not many have anymore thus folks like Frutychutes and TopFlight do so well. I think the hardest part is remembering not to run a finger under the needle ;)

'Did Gracie forget to tell you?...She LOVES to bungy jump!

Kenny

Last edited:
Back