AIM-7 Sparrow photos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrian

Reaction score
Last Saturday, the Museum of Flight at East Fortune had its annual air show. Having arrived early enough, I went round some of the museum's regular exhibits before the flying started. One of them is an AIM-7E sitting next to an F-4 Phantom. So I took a few photos...

Overall view, close-up of mid fins, detail between the mid fins, close-up of the stud
022aim7_1.jpg 023aim7_mid_fins.jpg 024aim7_detail1.jpg 025aim7_detail2.jpg

Alright, maybe not a "few". :)

Attachment point from the side and from above, tail from the side, tail detail from below, forward end of conduit below mid fins.

026aim7_detail3.jpg 027aim7_detail4.jpg 028aim7_tail.jpg 029aim7_detail5.jpg 030aim7_detail6.jpg

And in case you want to include interior detail as well, the guidance system. That, however, is the British version developed by Marconi Space and Defence Systems, so if you include it then you'll need to paint the missile in British markings. :D

031aim7_guidance.jpg

Beautiful pics! The electronic innards are pretty awesome :)

Would there be obvious stability problems with a model rocket AIM-7 as long as the CG is in front of the CP by 1-2 BT diameters?

I know I can sim this to get the static stability but I am too new to get what the effect would be on the dynamic stability, let's say with winds of 15 or 20 km/h.

thank you for posting these! I am currently taking a break from rockets and building an F-4 in 1/72 scale....I will be painting Sparrows shortly! thanks again for posting!

Would there be obvious stability problems with a model rocket AIM-7 as long as the CG is in front of the CP by 1-2 BT diameters?

I know I can sim this to get the static stability but I am too new to get what the effect would be on the dynamic stability, let's say with winds of 15 or 20 km/h.

TLP sells one IIRC, and Estes had a sidewinder before IIRC. It's all a matter of balance, and getting the CG at least one body diameter ahead of the CP with it loaded in flight configuration. Add noseweight until it's right.

You're right, though, you DON'T want to fly a "twitchy model" like this in stiff winds... you do have to match conditions to the rockets you plan to fly... if it's too windy, you wait for another day...

Later! OL JR :)

I just provide the scale photos. Getting the model to fly in a stable manner is left as an exercise to the reader. :D But yes, the basic rule of stability is plenty of nose weight in the front and enough power in the back to lift that weight.

And don't fly the model in too high a wind. Apart from stability, if you've gone to the effort of putting lots of detail onto the model then you don't want it to drift into the next county!

I am not sure I would feel comfortable to implement free-turning front fins. I do not want to take the risk to turn a model that is stable in theory to a fast moving pointy object that is unstable in practice :)

I also do not have access to a machine shop and live in an appartment that is already over crowded. The kitchen is also the painting/sewing/gaming/model building workshop :) I will restrict my builds to carboard and balsa for some time since my launch field is a small park.

Again, a modeler could use the pivotable forward fins as mentioned in the other thread and documented on Rocket Reviews (formerly EMRR).

Yes, quite true...

Still have to ensure stability though... a combination of the two, or verifiable simulations indicating sufficient stability, is still a good idea though...

Later! OL JR :)

I am not sure I would feel comfortable to implement free-turning front fins. I do not want to take the risk to turn a model that is stable in theory to a fast moving pointy object that is unstable in practice :)

I also do not have access to a machine shop and live in an appartment that is already over crowded. The kitchen is also the painting/sewing/gaming/model building workshop :) I will restrict my builds to carboard and balsa for some time since my launch field is a small park.

Umm... you don't have to make these parts out of METAL... in fact, it's basically against the safety code to do so (no "substantial" metal parts, which granted is a bit open to interpretation.

If I were building a rocket with pivoting fins, I'd use a pen tube or other plastic tube going through the body tube as a pivot 'bearing', and a SMOOTH hardwood dowel for the "axle" upon which the fins pivot. Cut and glue the pen tube through the body tube so that basically it JUST protrudes a bit on either side. Fit the wood dowel so that it doesn't bind in the tube, but isn't floppy either. It should rotate smoothly and evenly. The dowel should be long enough to stick out about between 1-2 inches or so for the forward fins to be glued onto it, on either side. Cut the forward fins to the desired shape, and then cut notches into the root edge toward the center of the fin for the dowel pivot rod. These notches, ideally, should be as FAR FORWARD on the fin as possible, while still maintaining sufficient structural strength to hold the fin together... IOW, maybe the 1/4 chord line of the forward fin, IOW, about 1/4 of the way from the root edge front tip towards the back tip. If one is concerned about possible "binding", add a plastic washer (available at practically any hardware store) to the axle before gluing the fins onto the dowel pivot axle, to create a small gap between the fin roots and the body tube. Just make sure no glue gets into the tube and dowel, locking the dowel axle in place inside the tube.

It's not like these things have to be on ball bearings or bronze bushings or whatever... it's not THAT critical... the fins aren't going to move much at all in flight, actually. It's just that they have to be FREE to move; IOW, if there's an aerodynamic force that starts acting on the forward fin, they have to be ABLE to swing a little to negate or damp that force out, rather than transferring it into the body tube, which would affect the stability of the rocket.

That's really all there is to it...

If in doubt, experiment a little... read up on the technique, see what works and what doesn't, build some "test rockets" (make a Big Bertha "Wasserfall" or something with forward fins, something big and slow and with a blunt nosecone) and test your methods, and then when you're comfortable with it, build your bigger/faster/heavier/pointier version of whatever interests you...

Good luck! OL JR :)

Does anyone actually fly in conditions that windy?

Does anyone actually fly in conditions that windy?

15-20 KILOMETERS per hour isn't but about 7-10 miles per hour.... Heck in Texas that's a pretty calm day for flying,..

Some guys fly in 20-25 mile per hour winds but that is pretty much TOO windy IMHO....

Later! OL JR

Great rocket and nice pics, thx Adrian for sharing... on the wind question, i flew my record, 2850m with a L hybrid on a day with 6 beaufort. It was a lot but thx to DD it landed just 400m away...

15-20 KILOMETERS per hour isn't but about 7-10 miles per hour.... Heck in Texas that's a pretty calm day for flying,..

Some guys fly in 20-25 mile per hour winds but that is pretty much TOO windy IMHO....

Later! OL JR

Good to know! I was beginning to think I was being reckless :)

Quebec City is generally pretty windy too.

Last edited:
Back