Origin of the Name Tripoli Rocketry Association?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure who had them but the group started with the sale of coins from Tripoli, Libya. The money raised started the club.

I learned something; I didn't know there was 3 cities named Tripoli. One in Lebanon which is where the coins came from and Libya which is the Tripoli mentioned in the Marine Corps Hymn. There's a Tripoli in Greece, too... three cities...named Tripoli...which mean 'three cities'...how odd...

Tripoli is a fine organization, and I admire their acomplishments. So there is NO disrespect or offense intended when I say this:

Does anyone agree with me that "Tripoli" was a bizzare, and perhaps sub-optimal choice for a national organizational name?

I think it is a weird name, but it doesn't seem that the original organizers ever thought it was going to become a national organization.

Tripoli is a fine organization, and I admire their acomplishments. So there is NO disrespect or offense intended when I say this:Does anyone agree with me that "Tripoli" was a bizzare, and perhaps sub-optimal choice for a national organizational name?
The name was picked well before the club was national (or international), and it referred to the three towns (the tri poli) where the club was active. So that's why, and it made some kind of sense at the time, but I agree that the name does nothing for the organization at this point. Maybe they would have done better by calling it "Algeria."

a.k.a. "Fire Island"

:wink:

Indeed.
You could find yourself in the predicament that the owner of Pen Island did when he was told that the url of his new website was the company name, lower case with no spaces....

Back