Steampunk scratcher-" THUNDER CHILD"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's him... I went so far as to go out and buy supplies in the mid '80s after watching a few of his programs... Hmmm, if we could get Sod, HD and QQuake together on a show.....

I'll bring the power tools!

Amazing as always, HD! I love the detail you put into the interior!

Wow! I love this idea. I can imagine seeing Zaphod Beeblebrox sitting in that chair.
Awesome build.
It also makes me think of this rocket. Way different for sure but I thought of it when I saw your build.
Thanks!

IMG_4289.jpg

It's unbelievable, that this thread got past me. I admire detail to artistry. Hell, I can't do some things as good as I'd like to. Your attention to detail is profound! That in itself is very admirable. Steampunking a rocket is something I don't think I could give justice to. You, on the other hand, seem to have it well within your grip. I give you a HIGH 10! This in itself, brings me to a crossroad. If I could build this, would I be willing to fly it? HELL NO! That's a work of art. Not some model rocket. Flying it would be considered blaspheme in the art world.

My 1st attempt to go over the top with a design, was trying to recreate Soren's Probe, designed by PML, on a much smaller scale of course. It proved to be a failure with two unsuccessful launches. And no one can figure out why this bird doesn't fly right. It has all the right stuff. I put a lot of attention to detail on the BOMB/payload section, and gave myself a thumbs up, on it's reasonable accuracy.

If you fly this really serious piece, you will probably have the MOST puckered butt anyone ever had.

Here's my Soren's Probe. Built with a BT 70 airframe.

DSCF2771.JPG

It's unbelievable, that this thread got past me. I admire detail to artistry. Hell, I can't do some things as good as I'd like to. Your attention to detail is profound! That in itself is very admirable. Steampunking a rocket is something I don't think I could give justice to. You, on the other hand, seem to have it well within your grip. I give you a HIGH 10! This in itself, brings me to a crossroad. If I could build this, would I be willing to fly it? HELL NO! That's a work of art. Not some model rocket. Flying it would be considered blaspheme in the art world.

My 1st attempt to go over the top with a design, was trying to recreate Soren's Probe, designed by PML, on a much smaller scale of course. It proved to be a failure with two unsuccessful launches. And no one can figure out why this bird doesn't fly right. It has all the right stuff. I put a lot of attention to detail on the BOMB/payload section, and gave myself a thumbs up, on it's reasonable accuracy.

If you fly this really serious piece, you will probably have the MOST puckered butt anyone ever had.

Here's my Soren's Probe. Built with a BT 70 airframe.

View attachment 251662
Thanks Gary, the Soren's Probe is beautiful. What did it do--sky write?? Your right , There's gonna be pucker factor for sure on this one. I keep thinking I might have downsized the fins a bit too much but then I say--" those pods are gonna help" . I don't have the guts in her yet but she's not tail heavy, if anything she's a bit nose heavy.

Thanks Gary, the Soren's Probe is beautiful. What did it do--sky write?? I don't have the guts in her yet but she's not tail heavy, if anything she's a bit nose heavy.

Thanks man. Nose heavy is always better than tail heavy...in most cases.

Soren's went up about 40' on a D12 and took a sudden horizontal turn and nearly crashed. Next flight was on an E20. Did the same thing but at about 50-60'. Not one person at the launch could see a reason why it did that. CG is all but dead center. I shelved it. Couldn't stand the thought of risking all the work that went into that payload section. I had to craft every piece of the bomb based on movie snips, and that clear tube had to be hand rolled.

We all know the risk of many hours spent on our builds and expect the worst now and then, chalking it up and moving on. Your build has so much detail that, to me, it's no longer a model rocket. It's more like an exquisite piece of decor. I know I probably have over 20+ hours on Soren's payload. I'm sure you'll have way more than that on this job.

Very nice!!!! ya I'd be torn if I would let it fly if I made that, luckily I cant make rockets that nice so I can fly all mine :D

Thanks man. Nose heavy is always better than tail heavy...in most cases.

Soren's went up about 40' on a D12 and took a sudden horizontal turn and nearly crashed. Next flight was on an E20. Did the same thing but at about 50-60'. Not one person at the launch could see a reason why it did that. CG is all but dead center. I shelved it. Couldn't stand the thought of risking all the work that went into that payload section. I had to craft every piece of the bomb based on movie snips, and that clear tube had to be hand rolled.

We all know the risk of many hours spent on our builds and expect the worst now and then, chalking it up and moving on. Your build has so much detail that, to me, it's no longer a model rocket. It's more like an exquisite piece of decor. I know I probably have over 20+ hours on Soren's payload. I'm sure you'll have way more than that on this job.
Wow, that sounds like a nuts flight profile. I think you made the right choice the shelve her--ya know I'm gonna sit here and think about this for a while !! Cruise missile is one thing but land sharking is a whole other ball game. I'm glad you saved her. To answer Daddy----yup, gonna go with a punch off the pad---samb---still in the build process for the mmt's --I should have that done in the next couple weeks. This was an outside in build--again---I know , I know, hit me now, but I sort of figured it would be that way. First flight will be with a 29 mm something -er- other --down the road I'd like to try a slightly canted cluster of three.Most likely 24's. I need to see what fits and will most likely do a test bird --something close to this one with out all the fazizlle to try the concept out with. If it works then I can just change out the mmt's and fly. I don't see me making the FEB DARS launch--inventory again--but I've already scheduled March off !! maybe I'll bring Tigerwolf. She's been up on 1-2 and 3 motors. I'd like to try 4. IF only I knew the RSO--hmmm---I heard there where some D-11 p's in Texas :wink:

I don't see me making the FEB DARS launch--inventory again--but I've already scheduled March off !! maybe I'll bring Tigerwolf. She's been up on 1-2 and 3 motors. I'd like to try 4. IF only I knew the RSO--hmmm---I heard there where some D-11 p's in Texas :wink:

Yeah Buddy !! Two 3-pack D11-P's... check.

Absolutely incredible work...
And insanely cool to boot....
I think that's about the coolest rocket I've ever seen,,,
My greatest compliments HD....

Just gorgeous..........................

Teddy

Thanks guys, So the guts are in and here's the pics. In the end I decided to go with a single/fixed 29mm. mmt.I really wanted a couple different mounts but that started to become a project of it's own since it was never designed into the rocket to begin with--we'll do that on another project I have planned later--. I found these plywood rounds at walmart in the arts section, they were the same size as the o.d. of the rocket so the needed to be sized. I have no idea what kind of wood they are but they are VERY lite and strong--shown after drilling the centering holes---IMG_20150127_114050.jpg--Next I had to make a little tool to spin them on with a drill--IMG_20150127_114258.jpg---It took about 10 minutes of sanding with 60 grit to get them to the right size--IMG_20150127_114637.jpgIMG_20150127_120002.jpgIMG_20150127_120024.jpg--- next I used a 1 1/4 hole saw to open up for the mmt. Oh yea that thing --it comes from a walmart brand large aluminum foil roll-- most fit fine but the one was a little tight on the motor so I split it lenghtwise --put the motor in it with a couple wraps of scotch tape for clearance and put another split tube over it --all glued up with elmers yellow. As it turns out the fit was a little tight ------the hole saw had slots on either side so I ran a piece of sandpaper through it and had a home made flap sander--IMG_20150127_133722.jpgIMG_20150127_133728.jpg--I started gluing stuff together --IMG_20150127_134005.jpgIMG_20150127_135917.jpg---It's gonna have a baffle--more in a few -H

Here's a little more--I had a wrapping paper tube that just happened to fit perfectly over the mmt lip. I cut it in half amd put a centering ring on the end--IMG_20150127_144436.jpgIMG_20150127_171159.jpgIMG_20150127_171220.jpg--This will act as the base for a very simple baffle---IMG_20150127_135841.jpgIMG_20150127_143557.jpg----more later---H

I decided I didn't like the top of the baffle and discarded it for another piece--IMG_20150128_132925.jpgIMG_20150128_132938.jpgIMG_20150128_133353.jpgIMG_20150128_134010.jpg--On the bottom I bolted on a metal sink strainer, this seats over the puffer tube . On top I attached a steel fishing leader. This will be attached to a long elastic shock cord-- and that to the capsule. I nnede a shoulder on the capsule so a piece of bt was used. I slit it down one side and removed about 1/2 inch of material , this left me gap---it was needed to clear a couple of small bubbles on the inside of the rocket where a couple of copper pipes ran in. Those bubbles were covered with epoxy and smoothed out. Later a small piece of bt was cut and glued to the inside surface of the shoulder. This took care of the gap and any pressure relief problems I might have. For the first flight I'll be using a couple of Interceptor chutes I have laying around. IMG_20150128_134631.jpgIMG_20150128_134652.jpgIMG_20150128_135314.jpgIMG_20150128_141108.jpg---THIS ONE IS DONE AND READY TO FLY !!!!---I loaded everything up along with a g-78 I had laying around--total weight---1.75 lbs--should be a good park flyer.---H

Fingers triple crossed that the flight goes well and this gets quickly and safely retired to the display case!

Fingers triple crossed that the flight goes well and this gets quickly and safely retired to the display case!

Honestly, I feel pretty good about this one. I figure some of the little details will get knocked off--easily replaced--I would like to try a single large chute at some point. This whole project has gotten me thinking about a follow on steam project----Ya know, the Americans did send one to Venus !!! Here's some gratis pics--IMG_20150128_183931.jpgIMG_20150128_183954.jpgIMG_20150128_184012.jpgIMG_20150128_184218.jpg---by the way, the JQ is still in the build hanger--more later---H

Those daisy chains slay me. And what's up with that foil stuff in the payload section? I choose the chains as a goner in flight, unless you gave less attention to something else. Still, classic steampunk.

Outstanding, both in creativity and execution. Please tell me you are bringing this one to a DARS launch.

Outstanding, both in creativity and execution. Please tell me you are bringing this one to a DARS launch.

Yep, already got the day/ days off for Feb and March---if it's windy it will be a no go---but I'll be there with her in hand---You will see the maiden flight !!!

Yep, already got the day/ days off for Feb and March---if it's windy it will be a no go---but I'll be there with her in hand---You will see the maiden flight !!!

Fantastic. Will be good to finally meet you as well. With your fleet it won't be hard picking you out.

This rocket is even cooler in person. You should have heard Casey trying to tell his brother and Mom about it. He got really hung up on the lamp.

Back