Where do you get your rods?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UberSquid

Reaction score
I'm just getting back into rocketry and starting to build some midpower rockets. I'm working on building my launch rig but I'm having trouble sourcing quality rods that are long enough. I've found 304 and 416 stainless in 3/16 and 1/4 but the longest I can get is 48 inches. I'd like to get 60 inch rods to ensure that I've got enough length before going to a rail. (Though with the cost of stainless rod maybe I should just skip it and go straight to the rail.)

Any input is appreciated.

Jeremiah

Look for a local metal/raw materials supplier. The last time I bought rods I paid about six bucks for a five foot length of 1/4" 416 SS.

Unfortunately I live in a small town, Bloomington Indiana, and we have no metal suppliers. Indianapolis is an hours drive but I work regular business hours during the week so it's almost impossible to get up there when any metal suppliers would be open.

Check in your area for a Fastenal or Grainger store. If all else fails, you can always pay a lot more and order something from McMaster-Carr.
If you can easily store and transport a six-foot rod, get that. Shipping becomes an issue beyond that length so any local suppliers will likely be limited to 72".
A nice piece of PVC with caps is a good storage/transport device for a long (or short) rod so you don't accidentally get a small bend in it.

All that Lowes stocks is mild steel though and I have yet to find a piece that was even close to straight. I did buy a 48" piece of 3/16 at the Lowes here but that was the longest and largest they had. Maybe they will restock soon.

I'll check out McMaster-Carr.

Thanks for the tips!

Check in your area for a Fastenal or Grainger store. If all else fails, you can always pay a lot more and order something from McMaster-Carr.
If you can easily store and transport a six-foot rod, get that. Shipping becomes an issue beyond that length so any local suppliers will likely be limited to 72".
A nice piece of PVC with caps is a good storage/transport device for a long (or short) rod so you don't accidentally get a small bend in it.

...a lot more is right. I bought 3 6 foot rods from McMaster-Carr. What I got was O1 drill tool steel. The finish is ground and smoooooth... Other side of the coin...these are a few thousandths undersized for more clearance on the launch lugs. My problem was having to pay double shipping because the 1/8th" and 3/16th" rods came from one place and the 1/4" rod from another. If I'd have known that would happen I'd have skipped the 1/4" rod. I cut the 1/8th" in half for 2 36" rods and took 2 feet off the other 2 rods so they are 4 feet long.

I paid way too much, over $50 with $30 of that for shipping, but I sure have nice rods :)

edit: I wanted to add, they sent the 1/4" rod in a 6 foot long 3" in diameter tube, perfect size for my 75mm CTI 4 grain case :D

Last edited:
All that Lowes stocks is mild steel though and I have yet to find a piece that was even close to straight. I did buy a 48" piece of 3/16 at the Lowes here but that was the longest and largest they had. Maybe they will restock soon.

I'll check out McMaster-Carr.

Thanks for the tips!

You do have a Fastenal in Bloominton. If they don't have it in stock, they can order it.

Store Code: INBLM
Hours: Monday - Friday 7:00am - 5:00pm
Phone: (812)332-8054
Fax: (812)332-8249
1180 South Liberty Drive, Suite 110

Bloomington, IN USA 47403
Map and Directions

There are other options rather than rods as well. Take a look at the mini and micro buttons that are available on my website.

Got mine off eBay but only short lengths for Estes size stuff. I flew my 1st HPR on a rail and will never fly any other way. So much safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

OnlineMetals.com 15% coupon today only July 29 Use Coupon Code: DCG5A

Since the mid 1980's I've used nothing less then 316 Alloy Stainless steel for my launch rods .049", 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 3/8" 1/2" and 3/4" diameters .049" to 3/16" in 36" lengths. 1/4" and Up in 72" lengths. That said alloy 304 will work just fine for most mod-Roc applications.
From back then to this day I get them from McMaster-Carr. 1/4" x 6foot current Cat. # 89325K9. Recently for our club I purchased a few various rods and rails. UPS single tube Shipping wasn't all that bad at 12.95. It does pay to get more then a single long rod at a time;)

Over the years The Club and my personal Launcher have used these rods monthly.. some several times a month. Even with such heavy use they will last until someone steps on it or youngster grabs it and bents it into a pretzel. The Great thing about using Stainless is it cleans up with a spray of Fantastic cleaner followed by a light wipe-down with Good old WD-40. Tough to remove AP residue melts cleanly away with a wipe down with White Vinegar. You'll never have to Sand rust off a launch rod again.

We do not buy the certified precision diameter rods since over time we have found the standard tolerance rods are more the sufficient for use with all available commercial Launch lugs, and tubes. We have found the extra stiffness afforded by alloy 316 over 304 is worth the extra dollar or two difference in price.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I live in a small town, Bloomington Indiana, and we have no metal suppliers. Indianapolis is an hours drive but I work regular business hours during the week so it's almost impossible to get up there when any metal suppliers would be open.

Have you tried Kleindorfer's? If they don't have it, they could point to a local supplier (if there is one).

One of the local Lowe's had some 6' 3/16' diameter zinc plated steel rod. Home Depot didn't have anything over 3' in that diameter, as did none of the hardware stores I checked. I ended up cutting it down to 54", which seems to be a good length for the A-D (soon to add some E) powered stuff I fly.

Unfortunately most metal suppliers (at least the ones around here) aren't willing to deal with one or two piece orders for something they don't have in stock.

Back