Loc Precision Iris

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketjet787

Reaction score
I finally got my first 38mm rocket. It's the Loc Precision Iris. When I got it I was very impressed with the quality of the parts. I decided that I would fiberglass the body tube to reinforce it. It will definitely be able to handle big J's. The first thing I did was fiberglass (Didn't get any pictures). The next thing I did was sand and do a fit to test the fit.:eyeroll:. Then I built up the nose cone so that it was even wih the body (More sanding).:bangpan:.DSCN1124.jpg

Last edited:
DSCN1121.jpg
Sorry my first build thread and I picked the wrong picture. That one is of the MMT next to it is your average bottle of 30min epoxy.

Today I tacked on the fins and put the eyebolt on the top centering ring (pictures to come). I will start the internal fillets soon.

One of my favorite rockets. I did my L1 on it. No fiberglass and it's tackled multiple flights from small and medium H's to an I600. Lots of fun.

Quick question, what is a Junior L2?

Under the Tripoli regulations if you are not old enough for your real L1 than you can take a test and and if you pass you choose a mentor that is already L1 or higher and you get to fly up to their cert level under their supervision. Mine is an L2 (for 2 more months).

Oooh yeah, the mentorship program. I haven't heard it referred to as a Jr. L2 before.

Under the Tripoli regulations if you are not old enough for your real L1 than you can take a test and and if you pass you choose a mentor that is already L1 or higher and you get to fly up to their cert level under their supervision. Mine is an L2 (for 2 more months).

Okay, that makes sense. I'm taking the TMP test in a few days. won't use it much but what "level" I am will depend on who I ask to mentor me for the day.

The internal fillets are almost finished I did get pictures they are coming. I also attached shock cord and am getting ready for rail buttons. :)

Finished the internal fillets. It is now nice and strong. I also put the rail buttons on it was a challenge but they are now lined up straight I hope. Also I have a question how do you guys line up your rail buttons on scratch builds? I also attached the shock cord and quick link.

Sorry for such a long break I lost the thread and only recently found it. The rocket was completed and flown twice before an altimeter failure bought it in ballistic. It should be rebuilt a 25 inch piece of the booster was recovered intact.

Back