Mantis Launch Rods

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrAdam

Reaction score
So I was lucky enough to win the Aerotech Initiator starter set at the LDRS banquet. I am wondering if there is an adapter you can use to swap from 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4 inch rods without taking the screws out of the adapter disk, spinning the disk and re-assembling out in the field. Anyone have ideas or has anyone come up with an alternative solution? Couldn't find an adapter online.

All I can think of is finding someone with a lathe and have a couple of really short pieces of 1/4" drilled for the other two rods. Solder the rods into the holes and there you go :) I did something similar. I built 10 collapsible tripod pads with PanaVices for rod holders. They come with a 5/8ths" sockets for the different heads. I drilled out a bunch of different holes for the clubs' different rods. The pads were designed for the lower range of high power, up to an "I". A couple of the guys decided to launch a 5.5 rocket with a "J" and "discovered" that the pad would tip over...duuuh... :eyeroll:

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid machining of any sort but... Think it could be done with a drill press? I know I only have 1/32 left on a side for the 3/16 and I'm not sure that's even enough to support the finished part. Only other thing I was thinking was something similar to a tinker toy coupler. Lots of holes and places to lock rods in. Don't have capability to make that though. Maybe easier to go 1/4 rod or nothing. Hmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid machining of any sort but... Think it could be done with a drill press? I know I only have 1/32 left on a side for the 3/16 and I'm not sure that's even enough to support the finished part. Only other thing I was thinking was something similar to a tinker toy coupler. Lots of holes and places to lock rods in. Don't have capability to make that though. Maybe easier to go 1/4 rod or nothing. Hmm.

I will have the capability in the future but not just yet :p Small mill/lathe/drill machine is in the future for making small research parts.

A non-machine option I thought up is to find a brass stock display at Lowe's or Home Depot or ACE Hardware or something like that. The tubing ID and OD allow you to slide one inside the next for a nice fit. You have to buy all the different tubes and cut and deburr the ends but the smaller tube diameters prices aren't that bad. Solder or epoxy and your good to go :)

Along the same lines as Dave's suggestion... wrap the smaller rods with tape/paper/cardstock to fit, seal with epoxy or CA, then final sand to fit again. Remember it isn't structural, you are just trying to make a snug fit and it is well below the blast deflector so heat should not come into play.

Go down to your local hardware store and find some ¼ inch O.D. Slotted Spring Pins.
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/06039077

Using J.B. Weld epoxy the 1/8 1nd 3/16 inch rods into the spring pin. You will need to thoroughly clean the pins first as they usually have a antirust coating of some sort that doesn’t glue well.

I have a CNC lathe as well as a milling machine in the basement and can make up just about any type of adapter for you for a reasonable price. Just give me a shout if your interested.

[email protected]

Dale P.
Appleton, WI

Along the same lines as Dave's suggestion... wrap the smaller rods with tape/paper/cardstock to fit, seal with epoxy or CA, then final sand to fit again. Remember it isn't structural, you are just trying to make a snug fit and it is well below the blast deflector so heat should not come into play.

+1

I have used just plain old masking tape for many years. If I remember correctly the clamp part is plastic so heat really is not an issue and it doesn't take much tape. Much easier than removing the screws and trying to get both halves lined up again.

All great ideas. On vacation right now but sure to give some of them a try when I'm back and am in the dungeon.

One thing I did with mine was to fill the legs with BB's. Makes it a little more stable, but is rougher on the center mount. Maybe try 1/3rd or 1/2 full...

Adrian

I will be drilling holes in the legs and using tent stakes for added stability. Chad Rogers idea. Seems more practical with less weight to haul around.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Back