Tripoli East NC Butner Launch Report

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
My launch report. All photo credits are to either my dad or I. Feel free to take any pictures you want.

I learned several lessons today. They will be bolded.

We pull in to the field, and ensure the guard dogs are set...
DSC_7303.JPG

Setting up the launch rail...

DSC_7305.JPG

I launch a little rocket called "Ivan II".

DSC_7307.JPG

Loaded with an E-18. Have my 24-40 case and my keychain camera on board along with my ONLY nomex pad...
The field is apparently called "Murphy's Field". I learned why. I think most of you can guess what happens after I launch it.

While setting it up, an Estes Loadstar comes off the low power pads (I am over in the HPR pads).
DSC_7309.JPG

Back to me.
This thing almost teleports off the pad. My dad gets a few nice shots:
DSC_7317.JPG

Little blurry.
DSC_7320.JPG

This thing whips off the rail... Beautiful-ish flight to about 1500 feet and drifts about half a mile north. Right into the tree line. If it had come closer to the pad by 3 feet, it would have cleared the trees. Remember how I called it Murphy's field? Here is why.

DSC_7322.JPG

Yup, 24-40 case still warm and camera running. Map of the drift. Red circle is launch pad, blue circle is landing area.
Ivanflightmap.jpg

Well, my dad walks over to me, and starts throwing sticks at it (as I suggested). We are doing this for about 20 minutes. And yes, it is all on camera (at least the audio is).

About 20 minutes later, Aaron Schaefer (hope I got that right) runs over to me and tells me that Dave Morey has this long pole thingy doohickey used for telephone poles.

Needless to say, we were getting tired of finding sticks to throw. Mr Paul Schaefer rides over in his truck with Jim Scarpine and this thing. All I know is that it is a long extendable pole, long enough to reach the shock cord. Didn't get a picture, but I did get the rocket back. I will upload video once I edit it. :p

Lesson 1. Attaching your camera as a last second decision to a rocket will ENSURE the rocket lands in the tree.
Lesson 2. Dave Morey is awesome.
Lesson 3. A 40 foot pole is difficult to control.

Alright, so that killed about 40 minutes.

I want to have some fun with the camera.

Ron Hill's Arcas on a Estes E16-4.
DSC_7324.JPG

DSC_7325.JPG

Next was a particularly impressive drag race between Paul Schaefer and Jim Scarpine on CTI F50's. No need to mention the propellant type. :p Remember, Jim Scarpine is in this and the field was wet. What do you think he will launch?

None other than the infamous sparky motor.
DSC_7347.JPG

I took this photo.

These rockets are scooting. Barely managed to get this shot:
DSC_7349.JPG

Next up is Aaron's "Mean Machine" on a D12. Missed the liftoff, because SOMEBODY (not naming any names, DAD!!!) decided to turn off the burst mode on the camera, but still a nice flight:

DSC_7358.JPG

DSC_7359.JPG

DSC_7361.JPG

DSC_7363.JPG

LESSON 4. Always check the camera settings BEFORE 3 seconds before liftoff.

And touchdown!
DSC_7366.JPG

No clue what this one is. Still a pretty rocket and liftoff:

DSC_7368.JPG

DSC_7369.JPG

I go to start prepping my next rocket. Aaron walks over to my tent. I give him a unnamed rocket and a D12-5, and say "You know what to do". Nice flight.
DSC_7392.JPG

Lands about 300 feet away. Thanks to Aaron for getting it for me. :p

AND...

The highlight of the day... And the main reason I was there.

Demon and Dopey. No, not the dogs. The 2 stage rocket I am building. I decided to fly the upper stage on a G80SK for a shakedown flight. Yeah...

This rocket gave me a ton of trouble.

Dave Morey helping me on wiring charges:
DSC_7399.JPG

DSC_7400.JPG

And then I proceed to do a series of blunders that would make the 3 stooges jealous.

First off, I can't find my 1.5g charge and igniter I wired up the night before. Thanks to Jim Scarpine for the ematch.

First off, my altimeter arms while I am setting it up with live charges. That was exciting. I am using a pressure switch activated with a screw. That is being removed.

Then, thanks to Paul Schaefer for giving me a screw and letting me borrow his drill to screw in my altimeter bay.

ALMOST READY!!! Not. I bring it out to the pad, hook it up, and shift the pad a little to get the wires closer. Bonehead move number 37.

LESSON 5. The strength of your glue bond is directly related to how tired you are and how rushed you are. Bonds will especially fail in times of great need.

Then, my rail guides tear off on the pad. This is at about 1500. I am tired, and I forgot epoxy. Once again, Dave Morey once again saves the day. I take 1/4" launch lugs out of my box, and according to his guidance, tape them on.

Then I can't find my motor case. Could have sworn I had brought it. Thanks to Jim Scarpine for the case.

DSC_7402.JPG

FINALLY on the pad. I have a drogueless descent from apogee at about 410 feet to 300, where I activate a cable cutter to deploy the 26 inch chute.

Continuing to next post due to forum limits.

Last edited:
Liftoff!!

DSC_7406.JPG

DSC_7407.JPG

DSC_7413.JPG

Apogee works great. Cable cutter, not so much.

DSC_7415.JPG

Dave Morey helping with Post-mortem analysis.
DSC_7417.JPG

And the guard dogs once again.

DSC_7418.JPG

Demon and Dopey. :p

I will post destruction pictures once I get them uploaded. Basically, both body tubes are ripped where the altimeter bay is.

Thanks for reading!!

Thanks for the launch report! That's awesome you got your Ivan rocket back. I just lost my micron clone 40 feet up in a tree.

An excellent report. We had a great time at Butner. I hope we have many more. Thank you for the pictures. My Semroc Arcas in one of your pictures was on an Estes E16-4. It's not the top-of-the-line engine, but it did well. We mourn the loss of Semroc.

And I enjoyed meeting your pups. Handsome and well behaved dogs.

Last edited:
Great report Matt, and FYI, it was an F50 skid in my rocket. And I agree, Dave Morey rocks. Thanks Dave for all your help with Matt.

Back