Red, White, and Blue Success! (Canted cluster MDRM)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfcook

Mayhem Rocketry, LLC
Reaction score
Had a nice flight yesterday with the Mega Der Drei Max on an H133 Blue Streak, a G125 Red Lightning, and an H163 White Thunder. This time, all three motors lit simultaneously and the rocket jumped off the pad in a hurry - I was only able to get one shot, but here it is:

redWhiteBluee.jpg

At this point I am pretty confident that the Canted Cluster is working as it's supposed to, keeping the rocket stable under conditions of unbalanced thrust (last month it flew straight despite the fact that the H135 white didn't come up to pressure until the rocket was 100 or so feet in the air).

I'm not sure what to try in this thing next. 3xG33MY? 3xH410VM?

The picture doesnt do it justice, this thing needs to be seen in person flying!
Great Job Bill!

The looks great,, 2 questions.

Is that the 3 cluster canted "Tres" mount from Flis Kits you got on there?
Do you have build thread somewhere on it?

Thanks
Ed

:clap::clap::clap: Great photo of an amazing rocket. The canted cluster makes for a majestic flight, no mater what the colors or if they come up to pressure at the same time!

The looks great,, 2 questions.

Is that the 3 cluster canted "Tres" mount from Flis Kits you got on there?
Do you have build thread somewhere on it?

Thanks
Ed

It's inspired by the Jim Flis Tres Mount, but the actual mount is my own design. I wrote an article for Apogee Peak of Flight #363 that discusses the math as well as the design details. Nat Kinsey of UpscaleCNC will be happy to cut you a set of rings identical to mine, see post #80 on the "Latest from UpscaleCNC" thread. Stuart Rochon has built one out of bluetube with a tailcone, and it is really cool.

I really love this rocket. In the words of Ferris Beuler, "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

I have an album in my profile with a few pics.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
It's inspired by the Jim Flis Tres Mount, but the actual mount is my own design. I wrote an article for Apogee Peak of Flight #363 that discusses the math as well as the design details. Nat Kinsey of UpscaleCNC will be happy to cut you a set of rings identical to mine, see post #80 on the "Latest from UpscaleCNC" thread. Stuart Rochon has built one out of bluetube with a tailcone, and it is really cool.

I really love this rocket. In the words of Ferris Beuler, "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

I have an album in my profile with a few pics.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the links,,, I just picked up one of these a week agao and was deciding what to do with it...now I know:grin: I will PM Nat and you if I have questions (I'm sure I will) , so thanks for the offer.
Oh and it will be a "Blue Max"

Ed

Thanks for the links,,, I just picked up one of these a week agao and was deciding what to do with it...now I know:grin: I will PM Nat and you if I have questions (I'm sure I will) , so thanks for the offer.
Oh and it will be a "Blue Max"

Ed

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures!

Awesome!! Great job. I love this this bird--a great twist on an old favorite. Your Skid shots are very impressive too.

Congratulations! Love this design--and it was a spectacular flight!

If you're taking suggestions... 3 H123's would be a fantastic display!

Later!

--Coop

Sorry I missed the launch. Took my boy to the zoo on Saturday. I hope you'll be there to launch it in August!

Had a nice flight yesterday with the Mega Der Drei Max on an H133 Blue Streak, a G125 Red Lightning, and an H163 White Thunder. This time, all three motors lit simultaneously and the rocket jumped off the pad in a hurry - I was only able to get one shot, but here it is:

View attachment 179008

At this point I am pretty confident that the Canted Cluster is working as it's supposed to, keeping the rocket stable under conditions of unbalanced thrust (last month it flew straight despite the fact that the H135 white didn't come up to pressure until the rocket was 100 or so feet in the air).

I'm not sure what to try in this thing next. 3xG33MY? 3xH410VM?

Bill,,,
Do you mind,,,,
That is the most insane pic....
And the coolest launch,,,,
I'd like to put it on my site....

Teddy

Bill,,,
Do you mind,,,,
That is the most insane pic....
And the coolest launch,,,,
I'd like to put it on my site....

Teddy

Be my guest, it's all you! I emailed you a full-res copy.

Thanks for the (too) kind words. It flies with one of your harnesses, of course!

Take a look at the one I put up...
It's in assorted pic's...
Next to Dave Greger's Marvin Mag....
I touched it up a bit...
I don't see more resolution in the one you sent me....

Teddy

Take a look at the one I put up...
It's in assorted pic's...
Next to Dave Greger's Marvin Mag....
I touched it up a bit...
I don't see more resolution in the one you sent me....

Teddy

Looks great, Ted. Funny thing about this rocket, it keeps wanting to land like this:

IMG_0802.jpg

Or like this:

photo2.jpg

Or drape itself across the pad it launched from like this:

IMG_0712.jpg

I blame the harness :wink:

Come on,,,,
No way,,,,
There's no way it lands standing up like that.....

And they call me epic recovery Teddy,,,,
I go to 3000 ft and have to walk 4 miles to find the rocket....
You're tellin me it landed right on top of the pads....

That aint right.....lol

Teddy

Come on,,,,
No way,,,,

That aint right.....lol

Teddy

That's three out of its four launches so far. All I had to give up for it was a couple hundred bucks and my eternal soul.

Come on,,,,
No way,,,,

That aint right.....lol

Teddy

I remember at Red Glare XVI, when I met you, I think you drove around for more than an hour looking for your Green Hornet, only to come back and discover that it had landed 100 yards away, and someone had brought it in for you. :eyeroll:

Maybe your next canted should be a fwd mounted canted motor. Here is the two I have done (LPR for now). The WTF has flown (before I painted it) and the other is getting near the end of it's Steampunking regimen. rstaff3 (Dick) has built and flown one recently too. Hopefully cants and FWD cants will catch on more.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?66677-WTF-(Where-s-The-Front-quot-)

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?67272-Estes-V2-Steam-Punk-Forward-Mounted-Canted-Cluster-build-thread

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...k-Forward-Mounted-Canted-Cluster-build-thread

I remember at Red Glare XVI, when I met you, I think you drove around for more than an hour looking for your Green Hornet, only to come back and discover that it had landed 100 yards away, and someone had brought it in for you. :eyeroll:

John,,
I think the one your remembering was "Hyper Velocity"...
It came down in that corn field out across the road you come in on....
I looked till I just couldn't any more...
When I got back the rocket was on my table...... lol

Talk about a sigh of relief......

Years ago I would fly at Metra in Pine Island.....
I'd walk around looking and looking....
And inevitably,, when I got back,,,
There's my rocket,,, with the RSO...

Teddy

Teddy, Its true, I've seen it happen at least twice now. Its that fat a$$ the chute is dragging around!!! (All that motor/casing weight!)

I thought it was the amazing, magical harness!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

What's that soft green stuff you're flying off of? That might have something to do with it.

I thought it was the amazing, magical harness!

Now how funny is that,,,
That's something to advertise..
It's the amazing magical harness,,,,lol
Your rocket will land standing in an upright position everytime....
lol...

Teddy

Now how funny is that,,,
That's something to advertise..
It's the amazing magical harness,,,,lol
Your rocket will land standing in an upright position everytime....
lol...

Teddy

If you can build one that folds and repacks the chute upon landing, I think you will become a billionaire. :wink:

If you can build one that folds and repacks the chute upon landing, I think you will become a billionaire. :wink:

For sure...
There ARE still great inventions out there...
You just have to think em up....

8 years ago or so nobody ever heard of a "K" cup.....
Now if you want anything to do with the coffee industry,,,
you must offer your product in a "K" cup.....

I bet the inventor of the "K" cup is doing well.....

Teddy

Hey Bill,,

What length motor tube did you use? Something different or is it just two more of the size that comes in the regular lit?

Thanks
Ed

Back