Hybrid Ground Support Equipment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great video Karl,

just a great idea to include a remote vent indication on the remote piloting device.

Denis

Well most of these ideas are not my own. There was GSE that had a remote vent indicator on the Launch Control Module I believe it was "GSE One" and I think it is OOP. I am pleased with my idea to include a tone for the LCO to hear and know that the tank is full. My son is actually working with me to develop a vent sensor to sell. I think people will want a stand alone unit like the one I currently have and a unit that is totally incorporated into the GSE.

My son is actually working with me to develop a vent sensor to sell. I think people will want a stand alone unit like the one I currently have and a unit that is totally incorporated into the GSE.

Just curious what type of sensor you're using. Many ways exist to sense the presence of a liquid. You might even be able to cannibalize a basement water alarm for about $10.

-->MCS

edit: spelling

Last edited:
Hi Karl, Thanks for the schematic.

One simple addition I made to my GSE is an indicator that the fill solenoid is active. Filling a large N2O tank can require many minutes of time. With a large stand-back distance, it is hard to know whether anything is happening at the pad when the fill switch is held closed.

The implementation is as simple as putting a buzzer or light across the output leads on relay-1 in your diagram.

Q: any reason you are using relays instead of FETs?? (I used relays too FWIW)

-->MCS

Just curious what type of sensor you're using. Many ways exist to sense the presence of a liquid. You might even be able to cannibalize a basement water alarm for about $10.

-->MCS

edit: spelling

The sensor senses the drop in temperature when the liquid nitrous comes out. It places a thermistor right in front of the vent in order to sense the temp change. I don't think that John Derimiggio is the first to make a thermo vent sensor but it is a nice set up. I think flyers will want either a stand alone unit like I have or one that is incorporated into the GSE and runs off the 12 volt power source.

Hi Karl, Thanks for the schematic.

One simple addition I made to my GSE is an indicator that the fill solenoid is active. Filling a large N2O tank can require many minutes of time. With a large stand-back distance, it is hard to know whether anything is happening at the pad when the fill switch is held closed.

The implementation is as simple as putting a buzzer or light across the output leads on relay-1 in your diagram.

Q: any reason you are using relays instead of FETs?? (I used relays too FWIW)

-->MCS

I can see where a solenoid indicator would be useful. I would rather have a flow indicator. The best thing to do is to have a pad checklist when loading your rocket on the pad. One of the steps on the checklist is to test the solenoid. You not only want to make sure the solenoid opens but also that the vent line and sensor are secure. Also you can see the hoses jump if you use binoculars.

Thanks, Karl. There are a lot of ways to measure the presence of a liquid: conductivity, heat flux, temperature, etc.

For the solenoid-active indicator I use a 12v landscaping light connected across the solenoid leads, using alligator clips or whatever is convenient. The light can be seen from a goodly distance without binoculars. I don't have a launch video, but you can see the light in this static test:

[video=youtube;-21M73VEhgo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-21M73VEhgo[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-21M73VEhgo

-->MCS

I have uploaded a video describing my GSE. https://youtu.be/XKP87VSOg3o I also have a schematic of the electronics that I have uploaded. In the future I will be incorporating the vent sensor into the Pad Module.

To really clarify the GSE, and help new, interested fliers to hybrid GSE set-up, maybe you could do a video showing a static set-up of your GSE hooked to a rocket on the pad. Or better yet, get some help from a second party to shoot video of you actually prepping, loading, filling and firing one of your rockets.

I really like the vent sensor, a small technology that came along after I got out of hybrids years ago. Having the LED light-up on your launch controler is perfect, love the design! And thank for the video and schematic.

To really clarify the GSE, and help new, interested fliers to hybrid GSE set-up, maybe you could do a video showing a static set-up of your GSE hooked to a rocket on the pad. Or better yet, get some help from a second party to shoot video of you actually prepping, loading, filling and firing one of your rockets.

I really like the vent sensor, a small technology that came along after I got out of hybrids years ago. Having the LED light-up on your launch controler is perfect, love the design! And thank for the video and schematic.

I can do that but it won't be for a month or two until I fly. What I can do is show a video of prepping a 4 inch Nike Smoke. This rocket has a unique dual deployment design that guys might find interesting.
The vent sensor my son is working on is coming along. Right now we are waiting on parts in the mail.

Back