Cardstock gliders?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried several designs but never had much luck - all the designs I've tried so far have too much wing flutter on boost. Even several layers of cardstock are still not as rigid as balsa or foam. And making a cardboard core for the wing makes it too heavy. I haven't given up, but I also haven't found the solution yet.

I have a friend who built gliders of his senior design project (fighter jet with forward swept wings) out of paper and soaked the whole thing in thin CA. They fly fantastically when hand tossed. I've never been able to convince him to teach me how he did it. Not sure about the weight trade off of, a straight balsa glider maybe lighter than a paper built CA soaked one but it could be worth a try.

i came across some plans for an sr71 blackbird paper rocket that is glide recovery but not a RBG
send me a PM if you are interested in them. i think i still have the PDF plans

Anyone have plans for a boost/rocket glider made from cardstock?

Don't have any drawn up right now. Something I would like to do eventually.

Notice in one of the replies someone mentions that the cardstock won't work. I have several cardstock stomp rockets that are in the shape of fighter jets. They could be modified to fly with a small estes engine. I have several wing ribs/spar designs for bigger models, would need to downsize and fit to the smaller ones. By bigger = 4ft thru 9 ft long F104 and Blackbirds, 3ft-6ft long D558-II Skyrockets, 3ft-6ft Bell X1s, 4ft NAA X15, etc...

My problem is a full time job, and then drawing buildings at night & weekends for a local builder/engineer. Working on a 4-Plex and 5-different cabins right now. Should be done around the end of October. Could then get back to doing more rockets.

Mike

Back