Upcycling Textbooks Into Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJoiner

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and haven't launched a rocket in years, but loved it as a kid and launched a Red Max... a lot.

We're in the process of creating an Upcycling Textbooks site, UpcyclingTextbooks.org and I keep thinking about rockets.

Here's a bit about the project.

Most college students (past and present) have a strong dislike of textbooks. They grumble and they complain to each other about the cost, the weight, the bs with all the editions, and how we could do so much more with current technology, but they passively accept it all.

We want people to take that next step… to find their collective voice and finally express what's on their mind: We want something better.

And we think that one interesting and positive way to fuel this conversation is by having people take old textbooks and transform them into something better. Textbooks probably never really wanted to be textbooks. So, let's set them free.

Our hope is that the UpcyclingTextbooks.org site will include the full spectrum of pieces and voices-- from very artful to playful (an upcycled textbook pinata filled with highlighter pens?) and the practical (think an upcycled textbook iPad case or pulping textbooks into papercrete and filling some nasty potholes/cracks for cyclists), etc, etc, etc.

And, well, I’m biased, because I love rockets, but what could be better than taking an old textbook(s) and building rockets out of them?

We'd love to feature any rockets on the UpcyclingTextbooks.org site, along with the builder and any images or footage of the rocket in action. It would be a great addition to the site and hopefully inspire others to join in.

We have a bunch of old textbooks if you need some. We actually have 18,000 of them that were donated to us.

We're aiming to have the website up around the end of August—when students are going back to school and buying new textbooks—and we would love to have some great pieces up when it goes live, but we'll also be taking submissions as they come in.

We’re also working to do a gallery show of some of the pieces and would love to feature a great rocket!

Love to hear from anyone interested.

Thanks for reading,
Craig

Most college students (past and present) have a strong dislike of textbooks.

As a former student*, I strongly disagree with this statement. I regret letting any of my textbooks go. My sister taught English and I gave her all of my Eng. Comp. textbooks, thinking I would never need those again. I was wrong. I DID keep all my chemistry, math, physics, etc. texts; in fact, I have several of my High School texts if I ever need to refer (or refer someone) to one of the topics.

* a student studying math, chemistry, etc., I'm very familiar with thick heavy textbooks, and I curse whoever put the math, chemistry, and engineering schools at opposite corners of the OU campus!.

Point taken. I think the language there might be too strong for some people and, for some, it might be more accurate to say "many have some negative feelings" about all these shortcomings with textbooks. Thanks for reading and taking the time to give feedback. Much appreciated.

As a former student*, I strongly disagree with this statement. I regret letting any of my textbooks go. My sister taught English and I gave her all of my Eng. Comp. textbooks, thinking I would never need those again. I was wrong. I DID keep all my chemistry, math, physics, etc. texts; in fact, I have several of my High School texts if I ever need to refer (or refer someone) to one of the topics.

* a student studying math, chemistry, etc., I'm very familiar with thick heavy textbooks, and I curse whoever put the math, chemistry, and engineering schools at opposite corners of the OU campus!.

Last edited:
Well, I suppose there are some textbooks you could do away with. Art appreciation, psychology, most law textbooks... Actually, one of the most useless is one providing an overview of "current" engineering/technology; they're obsolete as soon as they're printed. The dead tree format seems to be on the way out, however. A lot of classes have electronic textbooks. I could go off on a rant here, because textbooks are a huge market, with millions of dollars spent each semester by the students of a school/university. With a book, you have something that will last until it falls apart. With electronic media, you frequently have restrictions and licensing limitations such as limiting use to a single device, time limits, inability to easily copy material, etc. Frequently the electronic form is at or near the price of the paper format.

So, a design challenge for you could be: create a cool rocket from some old psychology, art appreciation, law textbooks... or even a combo of all these books... send that high into the sky. That could be very unique and cool.

I'd also add that the rally cry of "We want something better." in terms of college textbooks doesn't have to simply mean a digital version of a book. Let's aim higher. There's potential for adaptive technology, multi-media, built in social forums, instructor interaction... all that can make provide a much richer and more one-on-one learning experience as a textbook replacement.

Thanks for the great comments.

Well, I suppose there are some textbooks you could do away with. Art appreciation, psychology, most law textbooks... Actually, one of the most useless is one providing an overview of "current" engineering/technology; they're obsolete as soon as they're printed. The dead tree format seems to be on the way out, however. A lot of classes have electronic textbooks. I could go off on a rant here, because textbooks are a huge market, with millions of dollars spent each semester by the students of a school/university. With a book, you have something that will last until it falls apart. With electronic media, you frequently have restrictions and licensing limitations such as limiting use to a single device, time limits, inability to easily copy material, etc. Frequently the electronic form is at or near the price of the paper format.

So, a design challenge for you could be: create a cool rocket from some old psychology, art appreciation, law textbooks... or even a combo of all these books... send that high into the sky. That could be very unique and cool.

I'd also add that the rally cry of "We want something better." in terms of college textbooks doesn't have to simply mean a digital version of a book. Let's aim higher. There's potential for adaptive technology, multi-media, built in social forums, instructor interaction... all that can make provide a much richer and more one-on-one learning experience as a textbook replacement.

Thanks for the great comments.

I appreciate the initiative and think it is a pretty cool project. Labeling the textbooks of any fields as especially useless, however, is just plain depreciative and unnecessary.

You want to give textbooks 'something better' than being unused piles of dead tree. That is very positive. If you keep the positive note through the project (eg: let's reuse them to create beautiful and useful things), your chances of success, like the rockets that will be build out some of those books, will soar high.

If, however, you stick to the negative feelings (textbooks suck, some field just plain suck, let's do something useful with them for a change...), I for one think the coolness of the project plummets to zero. It feels like you are labeling school as boring. School is cool. It can empower you to do the stuff you really care about!

Hope to see videos of some of those rockets fly here on TRF and good luck with your endeavor!

Last edited:
So, a design challenge for you could be: create a cool rocket from some old psychology, art appreciation, law textbooks... or even a combo of all these books... send that high into the sky.

Well, I suppose there are some textbooks you could do away with. Art appreciation, psychology, most law textbooks...

Soak those in Boric Acid and use them as blast deflectors.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Morlock. This is a positive movement. And the goal is a exactly as you suggest: "let's reuse them to create beautiful and useful things." I'd also add thought provoking.

Hence, a rocket... of some kind... made from upcycled textbooks is just the kind of inspired, positive creativity that will make the movement a success.

I'm so hoping a builder or builders on this board connect with this idea and then creates something to inspire and awe us all.

Thank you again for the comments. Much appreciated.

I appreciate the initiative and think it is a pretty cool project. Labeling the textbooks of any fields as especially useless, however, is just plain depreciative and unnecessary.

You want to give textbooks 'something better' than being unused piles of dead tree. That is very positive. If you keep the positive note through the project (eg: let's reuse them to create beautiful and useful things), your chances of success, like the rockets that will be build out some of those books, will soar high.

If, however, you stick to the negative feelings (textbooks suck, some field just plain suck, let's do something useful with them for a change...), I for one think the coolness of the project plummets to zero. It feels like you are labeling school as boring. School is cool. It can empower you to do the stuff you really care about!

Hope to see videos of some of those rockets fly here on TRF and good luck with your endeavor!

I'm sorry, I was being sarcastic and mean. I don't see an emoticon for that (actually, I don't see any because I'm using quick reply). But there really are subjects that are taught in a modern university that are .....hm, I hate to say useless...but they have no practical application, will only increase your student loan debt, and will not significantly increase your success in the job market.

I do thing the pages could be rolled for tubes and the backs of hardbacks for fins,

I'm sorry, I was being sarcastic and mean. I don't see an emoticon for that (actually, I don't see any because I'm using quick reply). But there really are subjects that are taught in a modern university that are .....hm, I hate to say useless...but they have no practical application, will only increase your student loan debt, and will not significantly increase your success in the job market.

My bad for not understanding the sarcastic twist to your post :)

Here is my sarcastic rant: Human life has no practical application, will only lead to death and does not guaranty your success in the job market. End of rant.

Each human life is different and frankly the only thing worthwhile is to explore what life means for each of us.

I'm pretty sure (99%+) that some people we know think we are morons for flying 'kid toys' and that it is pretty useless. We still do it ;)

Chuck,

I didn't want to lead anyone in terms of how to build, but what you're suggesting was my rough thought, too.

But that still leaves the nose cone? That part has me stumped!

Ps I like your signature about rockets "earning their paint." Nice.

I think it Blasphemous to destroy or deface a Book. I love all Books, Textbooks included, and collect them.
I can't get on board with this Idea.

How about keeping them and compare them with new editions to see what has changed? I know history somehow seems to change in every new edition.... Most of these classes are revenue generators for public universities the more people who take a class the more tax money they get... My law books won't be useless as I'll need them for my law degree hahahahahahaha

I respect your position, TopRamen. And I appreciate your voice and opinion in this discussion. Thank you.

I have a number of books that I love. But I'm not a fan of phonebooks.

I believe in this important movement of "something better" than textbooks for college students (solutions that increase engagement, provide a more personalized experience, improve learning outcomes, increase course completion rates, increase student retention rates, lower costs, etc.). I also believe that any higher-ed textbooks used for this movement will be old textbooks that are headed for the trash/recycling center or live on shelves and in boxes in basement and attics, collecting dust, benefitting no one.

I also love trees, and if there are ways to reduce cutting them down, I'm for it.

Last edited:
Alethins, certainly could be interesting to see some of these comparisons. Thank you for your input.

I would love to see the maps from geography textbooks over the last 50 years compared, as countries expand, contract, appear, and disappear That could be a really interesting animation.

I want to say.... Best of luck with law school. But your laughter at the end made me wonder if that pursuit is still ongoing. So, i'll just say: best of luck with the Athena!

Alethins, certainly could be interesting to see some of these comparisons. Thank you for your input.

I would love to see the maps from geography textbooks over the last 50 years compared, as countries expand, contract, appear, and disappear That could be a really interesting animation.

I want to say.... Best of luck with law school. But your laughter at the end made me wonder if that pursuit is still ongoing. So, i'll just say: best of luck with the Athena!

Yeah it is and my Athena flew in March 2014 and I received my L1 and will attempt my L2 soon! Thanks! Yeah since I was a senior in HS I've been on a crusade of School Choice as I experienced the hell of Public School first hand... Teachers can't be fired for anything, they have tenure, and seem to advance political agendas on students so why should they innovate I mean they are almost immune from firing... Anyways I agree there are no more shop classes, sports are discouraged, and music seems to be cut to make money for sports (weird right)... I personally like this https://successacademies.org/about-success-academy/
Innovation without regulation!

Honestly I don't know how you could use the text books as rockets unless you used the hard covers to make fins and some how roll a tube with the pages?

About the law school goal yes I am under way hoping to be a Constitutional Lawyer...

Right on. Here's to L2! That's awesome.

Happy to hear that I can say, "Best to you in your studies!" Maybe your school crusade will continue once you get your law degree.

Success Academy is an interesting organization. Always glad to see people out there actively making a difference. Thanks for sharing.

In terms of this rocket upcycling textbook design challenge: Can't the body be made out of hard cover books, too?

The obvious solution could be a triangular body? Would that work?

Maybe this rocket should be made from old physics textbooks? Or maybe from astronomy textbooks? Or both???

Back