Voo-Doo V-2 new 4in. Dual-Deploy kit continues...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope there's room for "our special payload"... I'm working feverishly to get it flight worthy.

Yes there will be a "special payload area". Please don't catch a fever.

Very nice..those full length slots for the fins will make a big difference! Most use the smaller slots for tabbed fins , but they seem to always flex behind the slot and crack that fillet when landing.
Kenny

Hadn't thought about this, but you are absolutely correct. Tim gets the honors for that.

.............................................................................................................................................................

Before pulling the recovery assembly out to proceed, take advantage & fit the fins:

Sand slots & fins for fit. Insert fin and draw line on one side.DSCN3149.jpg

Remove and sand both sides of root for internal fillet adhesion, make sure no shine remains.

DSCN3150.jpg

Reason for the line: when glueing fin onto motor mount, you may catch fin on CR or just not get it all the way tight to MM tube. This is a simple guide to show you instantly if fin is where it belongs.
If line is off airframe you know to push it in farther or remove fin and find what the trouble is.....before the glue sets.

DSCN3152.jpg DSCN3155.jpg

Sand on each side of slot [approximately 3/4in.] for external fillet adhesion.
DSCN3157.jpg

Now we have finished prepping the fin can.:smile:

GLUE:

A few words about what I'm using on this build.

We all have an arsenal of favorite epoxies we use, for the V-2, it is Black Pro-line 4500......West 105 resin, 205 hardner, CA [super glue] and 5 minute for tacking stuff.

DSCN3178.jpg

As mentioned you can inject internal fillets , I add chopped carbon fiber strands to my epoxy, kinda like re-bar in concrete.

Or pack your internals with thick epoxy or thickened laminating resin with a dowel/stick etc. after removing the CR.

When tacking fins in, after aligning them, I use a drop of CA in the fin slot to hold them in position. No more worries about the fin shifting or falling part way out anymore. Just a drop locks them in position.

Jim

Thank you for the conversation and stories as well as showing me some of the models you had at Bong Recreation area on Sunday the 27th.
It was nice to meet you and see Tim again, you two are as inspirational as you are Zany........... Love it !!

Here is that video and photos of the Sa-14 Archer I told you about...........

[video=youtube;WhYxijsmNq4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhYxijsmNq4&list=UUYRDn6OR-_C8H49tTDsvHnQ&index=12[/video]

100_7146R.jpg

The Dreaded second flight .............. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5fiAjZGsW4

Thanks Glasspack

See Jim,

You and Tim Inspired me to rebuild it and here is her third flight at Bong in September of 2013

[video=youtube;goCi4OxUIN4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goCi4OxUIN4[/video]

Thanks Again ............

The Archer has always been one of my favorites also.

Had fun visiting with you too!

Good luck with the re-built version AND don't forget the m....... c.....!:wink:

Remove the coupler/Cr recovery assembly and sand on the outside for gluing.

DSCN3167.jpg

Butter the root edge of a fin with epoxy, for tacking in place and alignment.DSCN3164.jpg

Once all 4 fins are in place, use a straight edge to line up the opposite side pairs. This will assure correct alignment.

DSCN3165.jpg DSCN3166.jpg

If your are injecting internal fillets, coat the inside of tail-cone & outside of motor mount with a thin coating of epoxy. Put a dab of glue on the four areas where the CR will hit top of fin to seal it for injecting. Push assembly into position in tailcone.

DSCN3174.jpg DSCN3176.jpg

If not injecting, just slide the coupler/Cr recovery assembly back into position to hold things in place while the glue cures.

Well my buddy "VooDoo" the V-2 started complaining about being"raw-hided" with sandpaper, poked with syringes, & skin being ripped raw with tape.........

Sooo..... we decided to take the day off for a Tropical adventure and day of relaxation.

A short interlude and we arrived at world famous "Lehr Falls" one of the great wonders of the modern world.

VooDoo decided to kool his overheated feet in the miraculous healing water of the falls and enjoy the sunny afternoon.

DSCN3186.jpg

Well... me thinks, as the afternoon wears on & the tropical sun begins to set, the ONLY thing missing here [besides the Swedish Female Ski Team & a gallon of suntan oil] is a cool refreshing cocktail!
As if reading my mind, VooDoo announces he has been testing the payload for size & insulating properties.....Ohhh MY! What a buddy... what a VooDoo.. who knew that VooDoo had stashed this Kewl!!! Revealing a frozen bottle of my favorite Grog... fit for a Pirate......Capt. Morgans to the rescue!

DSCN3188.jpg

Well as the sun began to set soooo did we.....a few shots, some rum punch,a flagon of grog....and yuupp.... guess we over did it a bit. Sunburned, woozy and barley able to walk..... he took a bit of a spill. No worries though, after all it's Voo-Doo!

DSCN3190.jpg

So I'll continue finishing my buddy when we recuperate.

The keyboard has become a bit blurred for now.

Stay tuned for more adventures of Voo-Doo the V-2..... most interesting rocket in the world!:wink:

Last edited:
Well my buddy "VooDoo" the V-2 started complaining about being"raw-hided" with sandpaper, poked with syringes, & skin being ripped raw with tape.........

Sooo..... we decided to take the day off for a Tropical adventure and day of relaxation.

A short interlude and we arrived at world famous "Lehr Falls" one of the great wonders of the modern world.

VooDoo decided to kool his overheated feet in the miraculous healing water of the falls and enjoy the sunny afternoon.

View attachment 179465

Well... me thinks, as the afternoon wears on & the tropical sun begins to set, the ONLY thing missing here [besides the Swedish Female Ski Team & a gallon of suntan oil] is a cool refreshing cocktail!
As if reading my mind, VooDoo announces he has been testing the payload for size & insulating properties.....Ohhh MY! What a buddy... what a VooDoo.. who knew that VooDoo had stashed this Kewl!!! Revealing a frozen bottle of my favorite Grog... fit for a Pirate......Capt. Morgans to the rescue!

View attachment 179466

Well as the sun began to set soooo did we.....a few shots, some rum punch,a flagon of grog....and yuupp.... guess we over did it a bit. Sunburned, woozy and barley able to walk..... he took a bit of a spill. No worries though, after all it's Voo-Doo!

View attachment 179467

So I'll continue finishing my buddy when we recuperate.

The keyboard has become a bit blurred for now.

Stay tuned for more adventures of Voo-Doo the V-2..... most interesting rocket in the world!:wink:

Your buddy Voodoo isnt as bad as you think cause he remembered to put the cork back in the grog before he collapsed. :p

Sleep well
Ed

Voo-Doo takes a road trip for educational purposes:

Or how to get an edge drag racing "old School Style"

Since we will fly on "Hemi's". [I'll show how that works, when we get back to the build] I thought a couple of lessons might give him the edge.:grin:

6xl "hemi" case ready for Voo-Doo

DSCN3233.jpg

We are up bright sand early hitting ole Rt 66 in search of the cream of the crop in old school dragsters!

He was ready ready and waiting when awoke.
DSCN3235.jpg

Wait till you see what he'll be driving Soooooon.................:dark: We're headed to the land of lakes, and we ain't bringing back any butter!

...........adventures of Voo-Doo continue.

" the most interesting rocket in the world"

Last edited:
That Pal of your is almost nice enough for some Captain Morgans Sherry Oak Finish. Of coarse once a real nice scale paint job gets put on it you might spring for some Pyrat XO.

Just got in from our road trip after driving 560 miles in search of a "pro". We found a new runn'n buddy for Voo-Doo...... "Drag Nasty".Looks to be he might be a great teacher,long line of pedigree with this fellow in drag racing!

DSCN3242.jpg

Doesn't say much, but his words were short & too the point. Lesson one.

DSCN3244.jpg

[ with 900 hp + turning low 9's...160's mph in the 1/4....yes that's a parachute ...top left ...to stop Drag Nasty]

It's late I'm tired & I will fill everyone in [ with pictures of "Drag Nasty"]as to our adventure tomorrow with a grand announcement !

The adventure continues with....the most interesting rocket in the world...

Last edited:
It's late I'm tired & I will fill everyone in [ with pictures of "Drag Nasty"]as to our adventure tomorrow with a grand announcement !

Guess who was just stupid enough to perform a Google image search for "drag nasty", just to wonder what the heck these results have to do with racing... :eyeroll:

Reinhard

Guess who was just stupid enough to perform a Google image search for "drag nasty", just to wonder what the heck these results have to do with racing... :eyeroll:

Reinhard

@#$%^&*()_ I should have known... That #$%^&* crazy jim... :p

Reinhard

Not Me :wink: And Oh BTW Yes Jim that is "Da Grove"

Just got in from our road trip after driving 560 miles in search of a "pro". We found a new runn'n buddy for Voo-Doo...... "Drag Nasty".Looks to be he might be a great teacher,long line of pedigree with this fellow in drag racing!

View attachment 179626

Doesn't say much, but his words were short & too the point. Lesson one.

View attachment 179627

[ with 900 hp + turning low 9's...160's mph in the 1/4....yes that's a parachute ...top left ...to stop Drag Nasty]

The adventure continues with....the most interesting rocket in the world...

Knowing my Camaros and not seeing the distinguishing identifiers I would say that a 68

Somewhere in the far northern reaches of the US, a clandestine meeting is arranged , in one of the 5,000 Wal-Mart parking lots that shall remain anonymous .[for obvious reasons]

Voo-Doo awaits the arrival of his black-ops mentor in lonely desolation.

DSCN3238.jpg

Finally the time comes and a trailer arrives with 900 horses under the hood of his new mentor.

The collaboration happens in mysterious whispers, and after the negotiations, a deal is struck.

DSCN3248.jpg

Documents are signed in blood and 10W-40 & the deal is done, while Voo-Doo lurks in the background in observing strange silence.

DSCN3269.jpg

Drag Nasty ambles across the parking lot under his own power...all 900 horses of it rumbling & reverberating off the tree line and walls of the nearby buildings through the open headers. Further intensifying the mystical experience, and causing all passers-by to stop in their tracks & stare at him, while he maneuvered on to his ride back to Van Orin.

DSCN3256.jpg

After getting settled in.....formal introductions were made....and a fast friend ship was forged!DSCN3263.jpg

Drag Nasties lesson # 2...We're gonna do things old school Voo-Doo....no computers.... no stink'n blowers....no laughing gas....

just pure brute power! That's how we'll do our rac'n & set the bar high!
[It's a Moran https://www.moranmotorsports.com/ burning 116 octane]

DSCN3271.jpg DSCN3245.jpg

Voo-Doo................the most interesting rocket in the world!

Last edited:
Not Me :wink: And Oh BTW Yes Jim that is "Da Grove"

]

I knew "D N" came from a good lineage! You just confirmed it.

Knowing my Camaros and not seeing the distinguishing identifiers I would say that a 68

Good call from what little you could see........actually a '67

I would like to see a Top Gear style challenge with Voo Doo and Drag Nasty. :cool:

I don't think that would be much of a challenge . D N may be prettier, but in the 1/4 mile Voo-doo would easily hit mach with his "hemi" motor of choice................... K-2045.....Voo-Doo-Max...... 160 on the ground ain't bad, but it ain't even close to 760mph!

I'm at the Track Guys....internet is terrible.....Tim's about to run again and I gotta go watch him release the Beast.

I am using a "stunt" double for V's appearances, so I will continue building the ..............most interesting rocket in the world upon my return.

And by the way.................

................. before any rumors start........... Tim is NOT getting tired of rockets in any way , shape or form.......... he just needs another hobby.....rockets are his living........he needs a hobby once a month too.

He is after all............. "The Wildman":y:

Back to building for a while;

If you are manually doing the internals, once again remove the coupler/recovery assembly exposing the inside.
Use whatever your preferred technique & finish the internals. I use 2 mixing sticks taped together to reach inside.
With the tapered tail-cone it gets very small & tight at the narrow end.

When finished glue in the recovery/coupler assembly.

DSCN3172.jpg DSCN3167.jpg

Soo I opted for injecting. First I use the same tool that will smooth the fillets..... for marking where the masking tape goes, to keep the epoxy fillets where they belong.
I coat an edge with marker ink, then rub in the V-groove leaving lines where the tape should go.
This may take several coats/passes.

DSCN3180.jpg

Lay tool on tape to check my fit.

DSCN3182.jpg

Then finish all my taping. I do this BEFORE injecting so once the glue sets up, I can do a set of externals right on top.
Now both sets can sit undisturbed for several hours while reaching the final cure.

DSCN3192.jpg

"the most interesting rocket in the world"

Last edited:
Time to inject the internals:

I used 17 ml of epoxy, enough for both fillets.

DSCN3193.jpg

Add my chopped carbon [or milled fiberglass, or chopped Kevlar]

DSCN3194.jpg

Make sure you mix thoroughly! For me that counting to 60 sec..... every 10 reverse mix, continue till the carbon is no longer in strand bundles and the epoxy turns black.
Fill your syringe. This one holds 10, I overfill to brim [15] just to save time.

DSCN3196.jpg

Inject half in one fin. Nice & slow so you don't splash it all over inside!

DSCN3197.jpg

Half in the other. Any left in cup divide equally between the 2 fins.
DSCN3199.jpg

JIMBO TIP:

Wait 15-20 minutes or till the dribble in cup begins to get gooey.
Take your mixing stick and gather some on the tip, plug the injecting hole and smooth over, so you are now ready for the externals

DSCN3202.jpg

"the most interesting rocket in the world"

Last edited:
I wait an hour, to an hour 1/2 depending on ambient temperature, for my internal to set up.
[Check the dribble, in mixing cup, for hardness status] Just has to be gelled enough, so you can continue with externals & not worry about these not set.

Then I do my externals right on top, for this a 1in. diam. section of PVC pipe will suffice.
Out comes the old triple beams, to weigh Pro-Line 4500, for these fillets.

5.5 gram resin- to 1 gram hardener ratio. Don't forget to put empty cup on first and set your tare!

16.5 and 3 is what I started out with to do 2. It is a bit much, but I would rather be over than get caught short in the middle of filleting.
You only need about 14-15 total if you scrape the cup clean and work fast. I was too lazy, to figure out precisely the ratio.

DSCN3211.jpg

Fill and pull smooth with tool.
Don't forget to tape your motor retainer, you don't want any glue on the threads.
I remove my tape 10-15 minutes after smoothing the fillets, so I don't get the tape permanently glued to fin can. [which will/can happen if you wait till full cure]

DSCN3205.jpg DSCN3207.jpg

Last edited:
Revealing a frozen bottle of my favorite Grog... fit for a Pirate......Capt. Morgans to the rescue!

View attachment 179466

A bit late in the thread, but I just had to start playing up quotes from the most interesting rocket in the world...
If this is the same concoction I tasted @ LDRS Friday night, I understand.

"I don't always drink Grog, but when I do, I prefer Cold Don-Q Grog"
"Stay thirsty, my friends."

Last edited:
Actually it's Don-Q in a Capt.M bottle.
I buy it in the BIG bottles & transfer it into small....kinda slows down the consumption rate....LOL

Don -Q .....is what we be a drink'n.......AAaarrg!

Now that fillets are finished , glue the body tube to tail cone.
Sand inside of airframe & outside of coupler.
Smear some glue on inside of airframe, push onto coupler with twisting motion.
Stand aside to cure.

DSCN3216.jpg DSCN3218.jpg

While glue is setting up, move onto the nose cone assembly.

Need to attach our recovery gear to the NC. We'll remove the bolt & replace with an eyebolt holding the tip on.

Unscrew the metal tip. Bolt should fall out leaving metal washer still in the cone. Use a screwdriver etc. to tap it out.

DSCN3219.jpg

Replace the bolt with a 2in long....1/4in eyebolt. The fit will be perfect.

DSCN3221.jpg

I used a section of 3/8 kevlar to make a loop through the eyebolt for recovery gear attachment. Black is electrical tape I used to neaten up the ends after tying a knot.
Run the eyebolt with loop attached through the metal washer....add a nut to hold in place....drop assembly into NC, while holding NC vertical. Apply some Loc-tite thread locker [or what ever your preferred locker is] I used the Blue, then attach the metal tip.

DSCN3222.jpg DSCN3225.jpg

Last edited:
Back