Voo-Doo V-2 new 4in. Dual-Deploy kit continues...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not a bad idea. Move it into a plastic bottle, send it up a few thousand feet, then invite your buddies over after the launch for some real "Rocket Juice"

We could have a new competition: the "Juice Shoot" I like where this is going.
It's interesting that this has come up, I look forward to Jim weighing in on it.

I'll risk losing a rocket. Putting alcohol at risk- no way.

On the other hand, taping a tracker to a bottle and dropping it on its own chute would make a hell of a game.

That's not a bad idea. Move it into a plastic bottle, send it up a few thousand feet, then invite your buddies over after the launch for some real "Rocket Juice"

We could have a new competition: the "Juice Shoot" I like where this is going.

Hey me likey that!

When I'm done with what ever this turns out to be...... an altitude contest.

First the contestants must fly one of these [what I'm building] on one of those [some motor to be announced].
have the flight card signed/witnessed by some one [preferably non-bribeable & scrupulous ] to verify altitude.

Maybe we'll just throw a dart at a motor list .....or maybe decide by poll......or decide by?????:facepalm:

Must be flown in some type for drag race [defined as 2 or more fliers of sound mind and body] that kinda limits the participants right there....don't it?

Side bets, "payload of sorts" and all other evil-dark-sided themes to be discussed/ decided on/ in person at launch time or -here to fore - in advance in PM's or private.

Dispersion of such liquid[ maybe?] type payloads after flight and their "proofs" be forever and fortuity, held in strictest confidence of participants only.

Turn in the card to someone for sorting with other contestants to find the winner................

.......... and the appropriate trophy/ t-shirt/money or some such proof of bragging rights be awarded to the winner!

You must first:

Build the rocket yourself.

Use "Real" glue. No flour & water- duct tape- horse hooves glue--super glue or foam.... well I get an exception to foam..... I called it.

Naked or Dressed will do [the rocket-not you]

Point the rocket "up"

Reach an altitude of at least 100 ft

Not land with the pointy part in the ground!

Have more fun than legally should be allowed.

Don't get caught .......... ........... between a rock & a hard place................

I think I know where I can find a Wild person........ who just might sponsor this nonsense!:shock:

I'll risk losing a rocket. Putting alcohol at risk- no way.

On the other hand, taping a tracker to a bottle and dropping it on its own chute would make a hell of a game.

Oh man...I'm really liking this.

"Trackers on bottles" out at apogee treasure hunt.

Some one [over 21] start writing the rules.

At this rate I don't even care what I'm building....it just "MUST' hold the payload.....back to the drawing board.

I know this project is on the right path? path of right-chest-nous or just took a serious left turn?

Ok.... I woke up...ummm ......I mean I'm back.....

where the heck Am I?

Oh Man, I just read this thread...... what the he$$ am I decronstucting. I need to shake this fog off & get back to building...something after I remember where I was going with this, before I forget where I am.................... again.

Let's go look at the pile of G-12/G-10, and see if I can decipher all this.

No making Freedom Launch..... I have a previous engagement/score to settle/dual in the Western Prairie of Kansas!:bangbang::bangbang:

Hey Sharon..... have you given any thought to what motor for the "Jimbo Jart'' teleportation thing we are collaborating on, for Funfest... I mean Airfest? Are we going to let anybody else play, or are we hogg'n the sandbox ?

Oooohhhh, lets open it up to all "Jimbo Jart'er's" and just pick the biggest motor we can fit and go for it.

I'm naked.....:surprised:.....I mean my Jimbo Jart is naked :facepalm:

The "Jimbo Jart" drag race has to be held separately from any "Wild Turkey" flights, we don't want anything (or body) to disappear for two days in the middle of a build thread or rocket launch.
You better get busy CJ, if Tim shows up tomorrow and all you have to show is "a pointy thing" and an empty bottle, it might not go so good....

Jason & I built the "Wildman Sport" proto to last week . It is a light weight 54mm airframe, with the new NC and a 29mm motor tube. Tim flew it yesterday on a plethora of motors!........... E-20-4......F-26-7.......G-75-10 metal storm.........H-115-MetalStorm [whatever delay].... finally a I-205- [whatever delay] all motor eject....all worked perfectly by the way!

We started out with 5min epoxy but after an hour it was just runny and dripping everywhere , so we cleaned it all off and began again with 12 minute. Same darn thing happened after waiting 1.5 hrs. [We may have mixed resin with resin, guess we'll never know]

So we proceeded with "FOAM" [2-part, you know the stuff] & Wild Turkey 101 [actually involved from the beginning]. .......well somewhere alone the line, the rear CR did not get put on & the foam pushed the mm to one side. It hardened up at a 15-20 degree angle. Would not fly good, unless you like going in circles.

I can assure you foam holds stuff really, really, really well. Knowing we had to de-construct it, the abuse began. Pulling, hammering ,pounding, drilling ..... finally using a section of tubing with the edges ground sharp we "cut the foam" free and began again.

This time the rear CR went on immediately after pouring the foam & the whole she-bang came out beautifully perfect! A little more foam poured over a loop of Kevlar cord in the NC & the build was done!

We gave it to Tim and the real abuse began. It now has the Wildman seal of approval.

AND NO one disappeared for 2 days. We actually finished it before disappearing I'll have you know!!!!@#@

All righty now... Sharon has spoken...anyone going to Funfest-Argonia with a 4in. Jimbo-Jart is cordially invited to join Sharon & yours truly in the Jimbo-Jart drag race. I will provide the preverbial stickers, proving participation to all entrants, and tomorrow I will see what I can stuff in it and give the final motor of choice.

Care to join in ?

Last edited:
It's now official, we have a tailcone slotted [several of them, just in case you like this]:

DSCN3122.jpg

We made several extra fins [just in case.lol]
DSCN3124.jpg

I glued the rear CR/motor retainer on the 54mm motor mount tube.

DSCN3125.jpg

It slides right in and fits Perfectly:

DSCN3126.jpg DSCN3128.jpg DSCN3129.jpg

So let the build begin tomorrow!

I will rename the thread, a fitting title to match our new rocket, and yes our special payload will fit, just in case!:grin:

Last edited:
Well Tim is back & play time is over.No more mix & match with all the G-12.

One thing is for sure.... it will NOT look like this:

DSCN3119.jpg

It WILL be this...A 4in. all black V-2 scaled down version of the 6in. big brother V-2. Capable of handling large 54mm loads!:smile:

DSCN3073.jpg

Last edited:
Ummm................yes...kinda only 1/2 [it WAS 101]... I split it with Jason. He's the one that couldn't say it 3 x's fast.

That's my story & I'm stick'n too it!!

Ya just couldn't resist, could ya Dr Dave..... ya had to bust us out.

4 inch Scale V-2 Wildman kit-Dr.D. Reese design.

36 inches tall.

54mm motor mount.

Flies on a variety of 38-54 motors.

NO nose weight needed!

DSCN3068.jpg

ALL BLACK
Nose cone [4 to 1] spiral wound G-12/with metal tip
6in NC coupler spiral wound G-12

8in body tube/airframe spiral wound G-12
3in. coupler spiral wound G-12

Pre-slotted tail cone [4-1] spiral wound G-12

11 in. 54mm motor tube G-12

rear CR is actually Aero-Pac motor retention... yes it's included with the kit. No need to buy one!
Forward coupler CR is wood Baltic Birch ply.. Pic shows G-10 ring. It COMES with the wood one!

4-scale V-2 fins 1/8in. thick - G-10 plate-CNC cut

Parts weight 4.15 lbs
height of V-2 36inches.
Diam. 4inches.

DSCN3061.jpg

Last edited:
Need to drill 2 holes in wood CR for the recovery harness. Or eyebolts if you prefer.DSCN3083.jpg

Jimbo Tip:

Easy way to center is: slide CR into tail cone & mark edge throughout opposite slots!DSCN3078.jpg DSCN3081.jpg

Lay flat and continue marks on face of CR and center mark for hole. Drill with 1/4in bit.
DSCN3082.jpg

We use a 2ft section of 3/8 Kevlar for recovery Y-harness. Masking tape ends to a point, fish through holes & tie an overhand or figure 8 knot.

DSCN3084.jpg DSCN3088.jpg

Recovery attachment done.

Oh man...I'm really liking this.

"Trackers on bottles" out at apogee treasure hunt.

Some one [over 21] start writing the rules.

At this rate I don't even care what I'm building....it just "MUST' hold the payload.....back to the drawing board.

I know this project is on the right path? path of right-chest-nous or just took a serious left turn?

This has to get built - I'm looking for an appropriate, unbreakable payload bottle - then I'll build a rocket around that. hehehe

Why do I live so far away from all the fun people?

Very Nice. And I can get it when?

:clap:

LOL.... When I done!@#@! :facepalm::wink:

These are the instructions being written as I go. But as fast as I build.....very, very, soon.

This is real time, I'm taking pics...glueing stuff, then posting as I go.

Tim's cutting parts as we post right now. It will take a few days to assemble all the slotted tailbones , fins, CR's, etc.

Edit:

you can always transfer your "holy water" into a small plastic water/milk/energy drink bottle.

Last edited:
check fit of Aero-Pac retainer/centering ring for rear of MM tube. Sand to fit if needed.

Sand entire MM tube with 60-80 grit.....all fiberglass will be sanded with 60-80 grit.

Epoxy the Aero-Pac on MM tube.

DSCN3125.jpg

Mine is green, yours will be black. I get all the short bus stuff. :eye roll:

By the way speaking of the short bus...... all pics can be blown up SuperSize by clicking on them 3 times.

Last edited:
Real time build thread! How much fun is that?

For you lots................ for me..........none. Especially when on a deadline.

Well actually, I enjoy building ANY rocket & trying to make it a seamless build, for you guys!

The smiles comes for me when I run into someone at a launch, and they tell me how easy my instructions made it for them, to build an otherwise complex kit

Very cool Jim , can't wait to see everyone at mwp. I have not built or flown since thuderstruck.

Sand the area where glue is in contact with CR and coupler.
Sand inside of tail-cone where coupler will contact.

The smaller 3in. long coupler is used between the airframe & tail-cone. Sand inside of one end of coupler where the wood CR will be glued.

The front wood CR, is mounted flush with edge of coupler.[more on that soon]

DSCN3133.jpg

Lightly sand rear/narrow end of tail-cone where motor retainer will be glued.
HERE IS A GOTCHA: barely sand it! Reach inside and stay away from the edge, when sanding!
The fit must be snug, if you sand to much on the very edge, you will enlarge the hole and retainer will be a sloppy fit. Then you will have to go back.....smear some glue on that edge... let cure... and sand hole to correct size again. BE CAREFUL HERE....this can come back and bite you!

DSCN3134.jpg

Take your recovery/CR assembly and push it flush with the sanded end of coupler. DSCN3088.jpg DSCN3145.jpg

Inside make a nice heavy filler around the inside edge to prevent the CR from pulling out.

DSCN3147.jpg

Here's why:
There a basically 2 ways to do internal fillets. Inject or remove a CR & fillet inside with a dowel/stick.
You cannot remove the rear CR as in normal construction the front one must be removed.

If you wish to inject, then the CR must be pushed down tight to top of fins, so glue cannot leak around the fins.
Either way: we must be able to first tack the fins in place, hold them there with pressure from the CR. Then when cured....remove the CR. [in this case CR and coupler, since CR is INSIDE the coupler....Got it?

Last edited:
4 inch Scale V-2 Wildman kit-Dr.D. Reese design.

36 inches tall.

54mm motor mount.

Flies on a variety of 38-54 motors.

NO nose weight needed!

View attachment 179207

ALL BLACK
Nose cone [4 to 1] spiral wound G-12/with metal tip
6in NC coupler spiral wound G-12

8in body tube/airframe spiral wound G-12
3in. coupler spiral wound G-12

Pre-slotted tail cone [4-1] spiral wound G-12

11 in. 54mm motor tube G-12

rear CR is actually Aero-Pac motor retention... yes it's included with the kit. No need to buy one!
Forward coupler CR is wood Baltic Birch ply.. Pic shows G-10 ring. It COMES with the wood one!

4-scale V-2 fins 1/8in. thick - G-10 plate-CNC cut

Parts weight 4.15 lbs
height of V-2 36inches.
Diam. 4inches.

View attachment 179208

Dagnabbit....Now you've gone and done it. How did you know I love V2's... Oh that's right with VooDoo amd I'm the doll. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWYFxekoAsM

Ed

Now the tricky part. Small bead of epoxy around the interior edge of tail-cone.
Not too much here. You must insert the motor mount tube with retainer on it, and not get glue on tube while sliding it into position past the glue. Unless you are a magician, face the fact you will, and be prepared to clean off top of tube where the coupler/CR must slide on! I put a motor in retainer and had the cap on to be sure of fit.
DSCN3135.jpg DSCN3128.jpg

Now slide the coupler/CR on top of MM tube to keep it centered while glue dries. It doesn't have to be in all the way, just far enough to keep things centered.DSCN3140.jpg

Stand assembly on end until cure.
DSCN3148.jpg

Check every now & then, to make sure the cap doesn't get glued to your tailcone or threads of retainer.
I go back every 15 minutes or so and loosen/tighten cap. If it gets sticky, wipe off glue with rag/alcohol.

DSCN3142.jpgDSCN3144.jpg

Last edited:
I will rename the thread, a fitting title to match our new rocket, and yes our special payload will fit, just in case!:grin:

I hope there's room for "our special payload"... I'm working feverishly to get it flight worthy.

Very nice..those full length slots for the fins will make a big difference! Most use the smaller slots for tabbed fins , but they seem to always flex behind the slot and crack that fillet when landing.

Also being able to use some 54mm 1g mild man cStar or 4g k740 is killer !

Kenny

Last edited:
Back