Voo-Doo V-2 new 4in. Dual-Deploy kit continues...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
Reaction score
:dark:Well it's been awhile since I did a full build..........:dark:

Actual build starts pg.2 post # 43!

I found this in my motor box. By the way that NC isn't really 6ft tall, it's just an optypical resolution!

DSCN3100.jpg

And this 4-grain 54 case. Well no, that's above here....to hard to save the pic ...just use your imagical-nation. This wood disc with a hole in it and some rope tied on will be the inspernation for this diabolical guestamate of a Scientifrical abonomation.

DSCN3090.jpg

So I can cut something out of this for stability. Tain't no cardboard around and this stuff looks expensive. Yep that's the ticket

DSCN3091.jpg

Maybe pullout one of these and cut a section off. I don't think he'll even miss a small piece.{Tim left me alone again} This is gonna be ALL his fault.
DSCN3095.jpg

I'm sure I'll need some of this for something.....then I can sell the rest of it before he gets back.LoL:lol:
DSCN3097.jpg

This stuff looks like it might be good to hold the project all together--- for a little while at least. Last time a used flour & water.... worked pretty good till it rained.
DSCN3098.jpg

Finally I'll borrow one of these to make it pointy on one end....Hhmmmm...maybe 2 of them... make it pointy on BOTH ends....yeah..that's the ticket! Long as it goes up, does it matter which end get's there first?
DSCN3099.jpg

Oh Heck I got the entire weekend to figure out something before he gets back ..... wonder what it should be?:y:

Let's see 4 grain 54..[V-max or White Thunder for sure] want to kick it in the butt.

No more than a few inches longer than the case.

3-4 fins...ok what the he$$, haven't done 4 fins in a eon.....4 it is!

Go at least 8,000 ft. [really fast] Do I need a chute, not really, but it might be a good idea.

OH and I discovered the answer to: There is no such thing as a STUPID question.
Well here's one that's been bothering me for quite awhile. I actually read this somewhere a long...long..long..time ago.

Can I fly my rocket if it's not stable?

NO you idiot... THAT'S a stupid question! [man I've been wanting to say that forever] Now back to the insanity at hand.

This is shaping up to be lots a fun!! :tongue:
What say ye?

I think we all are going to be surprised with how it turns out...... I know I will.

Last edited:
Well, in answer to your question... You CAN fly a rocket if it is unstable, it just won't fly very well. :)

Well, in answer to your question... You CAN fly a rocket if it is unstable, it just won't fly very well. :)

Well there ya go..... a stupid answer to a stupid question!

Nope...not on my watch , we don't need any skywriting, that's hardly flying. It's an attempt to fly.
If I know it's unstable it's not going to attempt to fly.

Maybe you would allow it...... but hey.... that's you.
Well of course there are different types of flying.... your unstable, but I bet they still let you on a plane!:smile:

Oh my... did I just stumble into one of Crazy Jim's threads?? :pop::shock::clap:

Okay..Okay...Okay...

Things are starting to gel. I found an 8in scrap of 4in airframe in the cut off box....so that's where it's going. No need to even snatch a short section off a long tube!

DSCN3108.jpg

Well I sat it on the table, went to have dinner, beating my brains out on how to do this.

I couldn't fathom what happened upon my return an hour later...the Kentucky Leprechaun's paid a visit during my absence & left some inspirit-ation to clear my foggy brain.

Now things will begin to move in the right direction!

DSCN3120.jpg

Don't know what it is but I know I like it. A wee tug on the Turkey to get things started!

Next I found a 4in NC that had the tip cut off for some reason. Perfect now I have a tailcone, but wait a minute, there is not a centering ring to be found the will center a 54MM........HHhmmmm what to do.

DSCN3101.jpg

Stop and have a snort with the Leprechaun"s ! What else! That's when the light bulb came on, & my 2 remaining braincells quite chasing each other in circles, and got to the task at hand.

Got an Aero-pac & it's a perfect fit...no need for a CR.

Actually using a motor retainer for the CR, how kewl is that? I like where this is going.

DSCN3104.jpg

Time for more think'n about what's next, after all it IS Friday night.

Somehow I doubt this will be a "standard" build thread.... Isn't there some kind of law against posting up pictures from inside Tims shop? All that rocket candy is obscene!
Jim, you're not gonna convince me that that nose cone just happened ​to be cut off just right for a tailcone. Brilliant idea!

Oh my... did I just stumble into one of Crazy Jim's threads?? :pop::shock::clap:

More like falling into the abyss .

Yes. Once you enter, there is NO turning back.

Twilight Zone ....I have control of the TV.

Don't know what it is but I know I like it. A wee tug on the Turkey to get things started!

Ah... yes.. down here we like to refer to it as "taking a pull". So I'll take a wee pull for ya!

l
Jim, you're not gonna convince me that that nose cone just happened ​to be cut off just right for a tailcone. Brilliant idea!

Actually there are 3 of them laying around , and one of them, the hole fits a retainer perfectly, the other 2 weren't even close.

So there ya go....

Jim musta took creative writing when the class was available in Jr. High School. (that's what it was called back in those days) What's a build thread without a little drama anyway!!?? Go you CJ...Nice candy store btw.

Now that I have SOME direction, time to start stacking & fitting.
Looks like I'll have more than enough room for a 6xl case, the 4 grain just disappeared inside the tiny/short airframe

DSCN3110.jpg DSCN3111.jpg.

Yuup that's more like it. Now I need a NC.

DSCN3112.jpg Oh yeah ...plenty of room for 6xl goodness!

Last edited:
Time to give this bird some shape.

Can't leave this 6xl just hanging out in the breeze, can we?

DSCN3115.jpg

It just so happens the 54mm NC fits right on the end of a motor case perfectly....oooh it so pointy!

DSCN3116.jpg

I'm think'n a pointy type ram-jet look...super sleek....and POINTY!!!%^$#

DSCN3117.jpg

I think I am hooked. A V2?

Ya know Chuck, now ya got me think'n, it does have that V-2ish look to it, doesn't it?
I wasn't headed in that direction...... but now ya got me think'n.....

Who knew a "Voo-Doo V-2" kinda sings doesn't it! I'll have to ferment on this a bit...with the help of some 101!

After all it IS Friday night.

Is this a single build or are you gonna sell the idea to wild man for his next kit.

Time to give this bird some shape.

Can't leave this 6xl just hanging out in the breeze, can we?

View attachment 178867

It just so happens the 54mm NC fits right on the end of a motor case perfectly....oooh it so pointy!

View attachment 178868

I'm think'n a pointy type ram-jet look...super sleek....and POINTY!!!%^$#

View attachment 178869

Ya know Chuck, now ya got me think'n, it does have that V-2ish look to it, doesn't it?
I wasn't headed in that direction...... but now ya got me think'n.....

Who knew a "Voo-Doo V-2" kinda sings doesn't it! I'll have to ferment on this a bit...with the help of some 101!

After all it IS Friday night.

Well, that looks fancy doesn't it?

Is this a single build or are you gonna sell the idea to wild man for his next kit.

Ya know that's a great idea!

First we'll have to see where this thing leads...fly it/make sure it's stable, then see what the crowd reaction is.

It all just started today, gotta see where it leads.:grin:

I guarantee what ever it is, it will hold a larger motor than anything else it's size.LOL:smile:

Maybe he'll like it, or maybe he'll kill me for play'n with all his stuff while he is away..... time will tell:y:

Teaser Alert:............................................................
I am working on another Top Secret go fast project..... think I'll call it the SpacePloughBoy!

Injection molded NC good to Mach-4! Weighs 1/2 of a Spiral wound.

Last edited:
I think he said he would be there all 3 days... Me hopes to see this... And me hopes to see you today... :p

Jim your design is starting to look like one of the old Public Enemy ultra fatboys . It would be pretty sweet to have a all glass version added to Tim's line of kits .

Eric

Jim your design is starting to look like one of the old Public Enemy ultra fatboys . It would be pretty sweet to have a all glass version added to Tim's line of kits .

Eric

I think Shadow Aerospace now owns the Fatboy/Ultra Fatboy designs.

I'm thinkin' the bottle is empty and CJ is looking for some more "inspiration".

If it's truly empty then methinks one might first look under the workbench or maybe he's hugging the "Porcelain God"

Ya know... A bottle of that would be a nice payload.... Fly it and drink it... :p

Ya know... A bottle of that would be a nice payload.... Fly it and drink it... :p

That's not a bad idea. Move it into a plastic bottle, send it up a few thousand feet, then invite your buddies over after the launch for some real "Rocket Juice"

We could have a new competition: the "Juice Shoot" I like where this is going.

Ok.... I woke up...ummm ......I mean I'm back.....

where the heck Am I?

Oh Man, I just read this thread...... what the he$$ am I decronstucting. I need to shake this fog off & get back to building...something after I remember where I was going with this, before I forget where I am.................... again.

Let's go look at the pile of G-12/G-10, and see if I can decipher all this.

No making Freedom Launch..... I have a previous engagement/score to settle/dual in the Western Prairie of Kansas!:bangbang::bangbang:

Hey Sharon..... have you given any thought to what motor for the "Jimbo Jart'' teleportation thing we are collaborating on, for Funfest... I mean Airfest? Are we going to let anybody else play, or are we hogg'n the sandbox ?

Last edited:
Back