Fin Fillet - BSI Slow Cure 30 Minute Epoxy and any tips?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyropetepete

Reaction score
Have BSI Slow Cure 30 Minute Epoxy. Is this okay to use for my fin fillets?

Any tips?

BT is blue tube 2.0 and is 4'' Dia, fins are 1/4'' ply

I've also some isopropyl alcohol

Sure it will work!

If you can find some filler (colloidal silica, micro-balloons, "fairing filler", talc/baby powder) to give it a "peanut butter" like consistency that will let you mold and hold its shape and really help them look awesome. Otherwise, just put a dam at each end of the fin and let it setup that way. Just be cautious for gaps between your fin and airframe as you may have a little leakage - i think that the BSI 30 minute is pretty thick so a small gap likely wouldn't leak much but if you have a giant gap you might lose a bit of material while the epoxy sets up.

There are many threads on this topic but I think that I used this page when I was figuring out how to do fillets: https://www.skypirate.net/rocketry/con_fil_01.htm

Sure it will work!

If you can find some filler (colloidal silica, micro-balloons, "fairing filler", talc/baby powder) to give it a "peanut butter" like consistency that will let you mold and hold its shape and really help them look awesome. Otherwise, just put a dam at each end of the fin and let it setup that way. Just be cautious for gaps between your fin and airframe as you may have a little leakage - i think that the BSI 30 minute is pretty thick so a small gap likely wouldn't leak much but if you have a giant gap you might lose a bit of material while the epoxy sets up.

There are many threads on this topic but I think that I used this page when I was figuring out how to do fillets: https://www.skypirate.net/rocketry/con_fil_01.htm

Really baby powder? So this can smell amazing at the same time?

I've sealed the all the gaps as foamed the fin can! Yep this stuff is thick but it can always be thicker

Really baby powder? So this can smell amazing at the same time?

I've sealed the all the gaps as foamed the fin can! Yep this stuff is thick but it can always be thicker

Yep, baby powder does a good job of thickening fillets. I think that it's the "old school" method before everyone decided the silica and micro-balloons were a preferred alternative. Check that skypirate tutorial out - it has some good tips for making sweet fillets!

Yep, baby powder does a good job of thickening fillets. I think that it's the "old school" method before everyone decided the silica and micro-balloons were a preferred alternative. Check that skypirate tutorial out - it has some good tips for making sweet fillets!

Just had a look. Wow, I have some Tower Conduit Heavy Gauge 25mm https://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-conduit-heavy-gauge-25mm-x-2m-black-40m-pack-of-20/42601

I'll cut a bit off and see what it looks like

Back