Motor removal suggestions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1406268841.991570.jpg
I'm looking for suggestions on removing a stuck motor. I launched this Estes Farside and lost it in the bushes. After a couple of days of rain I came back and found it. The rocket looks good and the nose cone still fits. I would like to try to fly it again. My problem is that the motor that sat in the wet weather is stuck. Pulling it out with the leatherman doesn't seem to work. I'm open to anything that doesn't destroy the rocket. Surely someone has figured this one out before.
Thanks,
Mark

When my rockets get lost they stay lost so I have never had to do this. My bet though is the rocket is still damp inside and the paper has swelled. I would put the rocket somewhere super dry and warm and wait. It might take a week or more for it to dry inside. The motor tube is quite thick and it may have residues inside which will also need to dry.

UK houses have what we call an 'airing cupboard' its usually where the house hot water/heating system is installed and generally has racks for drying clothes. Its warm and dry in therea nd anything left in there will be dried through quite quickly. I dont know how ametican houses are designed so have no idea if this is a feature or not thats available to you.

Take the leatherman's needle nose and start twisting and peeling, eventually it will come out. If you can bang from the top with a rod or stick try that.

Take the leatherman's needle nose and start twisting and peeling, eventually it will come out. If you can bang from the top with a rod or stick try that.
The rod will probably end up hitting the clay nozzle. You'll also need to bend the retaining hook out of the way while you're attempting to force the motor case out. Eventually either the motor will come out of the rocket or the nozzle will come out of the motor.

If the latter happens, then go back to the Leatherman. With the nozzle out of the way, you can get a better grip on the outside and inside of the casing. You may then be able to twist the Leatherman to deform the casing, making it narrower and easy to pull out.

Another thing you can do, mount a wood screw in a dowel, and screw that into the nozzle. Sometimes works.

Sometimes you can knock the clay nozzle out and then try peeling the motor layers from the inside. I have had that work for me.

When my rockets get lost they stay lost so I have never had to do this. My bet though is the rocket is still damp inside and the paper has swelled. I would put the rocket somewhere super dry and warm and wait. It might take a week or more for it to dry inside. The motor tube is quite thick and it may have residues inside which will also need to dry.

UK houses have what we call an 'airing cupboard' its usually where the house hot water/heating system is installed and generally has racks for drying clothes. Its warm and dry in therea nd anything left in there will be dried through quite quickly. I dont know how ametican houses are designed so have no idea if this is a feature or not thats available to you.

Whenever I have to dry something out, usually an electronic device, I put it in a ziplock bag full of rice to draw the moisture out. I'm not sure where you can find a bag big enough for that rocket, but maybe you could fill the BT with rice and wrap it with plastic wrap for a week.

You could try to drill it out. Just use a bit that is slightly smaller than the diameter of the motor. What is left should be pretty loose and should come out easily.

Back