Moisture in RMS bags

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MALBAR 70

More Rockets Than Room
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I had my case of reloads out in the sun this afternoon. When I was picking up to leave I noticed a small amount of condensation inside some of the unopened reload bags. Is this harmful to the propellent grains?

I'm going to guess that this is okay,but if its not,what do I do to keep this from happening?

I had my case of reloads out in the sun this afternoon. When I was picking up to leave I noticed a small amount of condensation inside some of the unopened reload bags. Is this harmful to the propellent grains?

I'm going to guess that this is okay,but if its not,what do I do to keep this from happening?

I believe your propellant grains might absorb the moisture and swell up. I would place a dessicant bag in a new ziploc bag, along with the propellant and securely seal the ziploc

I'm sure most of the water in the bags was once in the grains. I wouldn't be toooo concerned with the presence of some water in the bags, except that it might soften up the casting tubes.

I've see this with AP and BP motors. Right on vendors' tables that have stuff out in the sun. Even on my igniter box. Condensation from the moisture in the air (inside the package).

Not sure it mattered, but I wasn't going to buy motors I seen like that.

At LDRS Aerotech has some F & G motors in blister packs with small amounts of condensation.
Gary R said it comes out of the paper the instructions are printed on.

M

I believe your propellant grains might absorb the moisture and swell up. I would place a dessicant bag in a new ziploc bag, along with the propellant and securely seal the ziploc

+1....
I'm not sure that the propellant would swell,,
but the cardboard casting tube certainly could......
Was probably a bit humid that day when the packages were sealed.....
I think Hank's solution is a quick,, easy fix...
No big deal...
Your a good man Hank...........

Teddy

At LDRS Aerotech has some F & G motors in blister packs with small amounts of condensation.

M

That's interesting.

Thanks for the tips guys. I found some silica gel packages in my wife's shoe box collection and put them in the case I use to keep my reloads in. Hopefully that will help.
I store them in my basement which is cool and dry, except on launch days. Out in the field I try to keep them in the shade,but the other day that wasn't possible.
The amount of water is not much and I find the theory of moisture from the paper or the grains to be plausible.
I too have seen condensation in packages on vendor tables and didn't buy those either.

M

How much instructions are there. My sunday paper sitting in my driveway till noon must be soaked

How much instructions are there. My sunday paper sitting in my driveway till noon must be soaked

It is
Newsprint has a lot of water in it, it makes the ink work better.
Under condition like at this years LDRS where the sun was strong and the air temp cool it makes the condensation appear worse but the water is there even when it can't be seen.

Plus the humidity in the air when the bag was sealed. I have used AP and BP with condensation in the bags and watched lots of folks use the same with no issues.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN

Latest posts

Back