Estes Tercel Sustainer Replacement <HELP NEEDED>

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My kids wanted a glider in the rocket collection. So, taking the easily way out, I bought an Estes Tercel.

The 1st flight had the sustainer take it to a very nice height, and the glider looped its way back down. The folks at the DARS club were kind enough to help my son tweak in the glider for a better flight.

However, the next time out, we had two bad rocket flights.

Once, the sustainer went up and down and ejected only feet above the ground.
Another time, the sustainer drove the glider into the trees. The glider somehow returned to earth. The sustainer did not.

So, I need to fabricate another sustainer. I thought I'd upside the sustainer to handle standard A, B, and C motors, possibly using a standard Estes model like the Viking for the body tube, and nose cone.

Question 1. Will that work?
Question 2. If I do use a standard Estes Kit, should I leave any of the normal fins on the body tube of the sustainer. The original Tercel only had the connection for the glider on the sustainer.

I don't know "Jack" about gliders, and just want to have one for the kids to enjoy. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Yes
2. No

You'll have to make a new pod hook, but that shouldn't be too hard.
Use short delay motors- A8-3 instead of A8-5; B6-2 instead of B6-4.

kj

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I can easily duplicate the hook.

Thanks for the advice on the delay. I think that ( wrong delays) is what went wrong during the last launch.

Willie

I am finishing up a replacement pop pod for my Tercel. I cloned the parts for the glider hook out of 1/16 basswood...a little heavier than the stock tung/faux balsa but cuts and sands so much nicer....and the rest of the parts are from an Estes Star Trooper kit. It's a tiny bit shorter than the stock pod but close enough! Also improved it with a motor hook I made from piano wire.

i haven't got around to making a replacement pod. I was planning to make it to support the B/C motors. Not sure if that will over power the gliders construction...

i haven't got around to making a replacement pod. I was planning to make it to support the B/C motors. Not sure if that will over power the gliders construction...

The Tercel will go high enough to glide for a minute or more on an A10-3T. You'd be doubling the impulse on a B and quadrupling it with a C. Unless your pod is big and draggy, it makes me wonder if the glider could handle the higher air speeds during boost.

Latest posts

Back