The fastest rocket ever built is up for auction

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can imagine the RSO scratching his head while staring at it at your next launch.

Is this actually true? I thought the Sprint ABM was the fastest (atmospheric) rocket ever?

Or maybe Sprint was the fastest accelerating rocket, but not fastest in absolute terms? Dunno.

I'm guessing trying to fly it low & slow wont work :)

I need to talk to the wife and consult with HOA before bidding, but thanks for sharing. :eek:

I already have one in my basement somewhere. Let me know how much they get for it.
:neener:

It's extra awesome that it is a Modified S200 Angara/SA-5 Gammon.
I love Soviet/Russian stuffs.

It's extra awesome that it is a Modified S200 Angara/SA-5 Gammon.
I love Soviet/Russian stuffs.

That's the rocket that's used to "get it up to speed". The actual Kholod is just the nosecone. It's a coaxial ramjet, that exhausts along the upper surface of the booster rocket, "pulling" it along.

kholod5_2.jpg

That's the rocket that's used to "get it up to speed". The actual Kholod is just the nosecone. It's a coaxial ramjet, that exhausts along the upper surface of the booster rocket, "pulling" it along.

View attachment 178655

That makes more sense.
I just looked at the Pic' and thought, "Is'nt that an awful lot of Drag?"
Guess I should have read the thing.

View attachment 178655

I never had much interest in SC/RAMJET's, but that's awesome! Although, I was always partial to the Estes RAMJET. Does that count?

I believe that fastest rocket ever launched was the Atlas V with strap-on solid boosters that launched the New Horizons space probe to Pluto. It cleared the vicinity of the moon's orbit in record time after reaching Earth and Solar escape velocity. The relative velocity to Earth was 36,373 mph and set the record for the highest velocity of any human object leaving Earth.

Time to see how much is in my secret account in the Cayman Islands. I was saving up to buy a volcano, but the rocket might be a good alternative.

You can use the rocket to shoot down that pesky British secret agent that always seems to show up at secret volcano hideouts.

I never had much interest in SC/RAMJET's, but that's awesome! Although, I was always partial to the Estes RAMJET. Does that count?

I've modeled RAMJET's in sizes from a little one for 13mm motors up to a 6x big one that flies really nice on a K550. It's in the plans to do my 3rd level again using a 8x RAMJET. I have 2 10.5" OD cardboard tubes, not sonotube so there's no wax. Inner core is 6" PVC with a cone I'll turn from blue foam.

I'll be flying it on a CTI M2250. Should be fun :)

Is this actually true? I thought the Sprint ABM was the fastest (atmospheric) rocket ever?

Or maybe Sprint was the fastest accelerating rocket, but not fastest in absolute terms? Dunno.

Yes, the Sprint was actually a Mach 10 rocket powered missile that operated in the atmosphere, but the Soviet missile that is for sale actually boosted an experimental scramjet powered upper stage, and its velocity has been surpassed by the X-43A.

A factual report can be read here. https://www.russianspaceweb.com/kholod.html

Bob

There is the X-41, but its specs are still classified. AFAIK, there is not even a photo in the public domain.

Greg

I've modeled RAMJET's in sizes from a little one for 13mm motors up to a 6x big one that flies really nice on a K550. It's in the plans to do my 3rd level again using a 8x RAMJET. I have 2 10.5" OD cardboard tubes, not sonotube so there's no wax. Inner core is 6" PVC with a cone I'll turn from blue foam.

I'll be flying it on a CTI M2250. Should be fun :)

Defintely post pictures of that. I have LOC 7.5" and 5.5" airframes along with a 5.5" nose cone that have crossed my mind on such a project. It seems like a lot of effort though.

Yes, the Sprint was actually a Mach 10 rocket powered missile that operated in the atmosphere, but the Soviet missile that is for sale actually boosted an experimental scramjet powered upper stage, and its velocity has been surpassed by the X-43A.

A factual report can be read here. https://www.russianspaceweb.com/kholod.html

Bob
Beat me to it. Sprint went from zero to Mach 10 in FIVE seconds. Its ablative exterior became HOTTER than inside the motor. First stage was explosively separated by a linear shaped charge, first stage then disintegrated from aerodynamic forces.

Height: 27 ft
Max diameter: 4.5 ft
Weight: 7,600 lb
First stage: 650,000 lb thrust for 1.8 sec.
Second stage: 150,000 lb thrust for 2 sec.
Acceleration: 1st stage - 130 G, 2nd stage - 90 G, Maneuvers - 60 G

You'll note that the total motor burn time was 3.8 sec, so a significant part of that 5 sec to Mach 10 figure involved the time it took to gas-eject the Sprint from its silo.

A never-deployed, smaller conical US ABM research missile, HiBEX, didn't have quite the same max velocity, "only" Mach 8, but accelerated faster at 400 Gs. Zero to Mach 8 in 1.1 seconds after ignition. It was also gas-ejected from its silo faster, thought I read about an ejection time of 0.2 seconds somewhere.

Length 4.9 m (16 ft)
Diameter 1.1 m (3.6 ft)
Weight 1180 kg (2600 lb)
Speed 2560 m/s (8400 fps)
Propulsion Solid-fueled rocket; 2180 kN (490000 lb) for 1.1 s

https://highpowerrocketry.blogspot.com/2011/05/more-information-about-hibex-abm-tests.html

https://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app4/hibex.html

Latest posts

Back