NARAM 56 - Pueblo Colorado

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a dreary day out for sure! Very fall like.

I wonder what they do for contest make ups?

Thursday - we had a pretty good NARAM flying day at Hudson Ranch...cloudy and cool but not very windy. Not much classic thermal activity for the FAI 3-round PD event but there was still some lift to be had. Poor skies for tracking generally but the D SRA and 5xB Cluster Alt models were not horribly difficult (heh I was tracking for most of the afternoon). Plenty of flights since the cluster alt event was held over from yesterday. Heli duration will be held tomorrow concurrent with the Giant Sport Scale and Concept Scale flights. Scale model viewing is tonight so I'll be heading over with camera in hand in an hour or so.

A bit of interesting new tech is the use of flyaway rail lugs on some models like the D Superrocs. These are like Acme 1010 rail guides that are split in two and hinged around the body of the rocket, sometimes with a rubber band to flip them open after the lug leaves the rail. These give you the straightness of a tower launcher with potentially much lower launcher drag and the possibility of longer guidance (6-10 feet) with a much less bulky and complex launcher.

A bit of interesting new tech is the use of flyaway rail lugs on some models like the D Superrocs. These are like Acme 1010 rail guides that are split in two and hinged around the body of the rocket, sometimes with a rubber band to flip them open after the lug leaves the rail. These give you the straightness of a tower launcher with potentially much lower launcher drag and the possibility of longer guidance (6-10 feet) with a much less bulky and complex launcher.

How to make these is in the September 2009 Apogee newsletter: https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter243.pdf

Tim was using ones that looked (mostly) like that, but there were others that were built quite differently with Plastruct shapes for the bearing surfaces.

Ah - OK. After I got my cluster flights in yesterday I mainly watched the superrocs from a safe distance before I had to leave to meet my wife in Denver. I would have liked to see those refinements of Tim's idea. I like pop lugs on small models which are a related idea to leave the lug on the launch rod rather than drag it up with the model.

This is a very nicely produced documentary of the ULA student flights Saturday in Pueblo at NARAM with great on-board video. Note the size of the crowd in the panorama. https://youtube/IO44upzfr3s

Local news report with interviews of the combined NARAM sport and ULA student launch.
https://www.koaa.com/player/?video_id=25303

Rocket details of the M staged vehicle at
https://www.ulalaunch.com/uploads/docs/Intern_Rocket/2014/2014_Student_Rocket-Payload_Lineup.PDF

Everything flew well and looked cool. It was a great experience with a fine job done by the range crew.

Went to the range for about an hour before the boys got disappointed we weren't flying on Sunday...

Trying to decide if buying a few motors is in the budget for Thursday, but it's looking like not :(

I feel bad that i didn't see this until after i got home. I always have motors for kids. If I had known, you could have stopped by the NARTS booth and we would have hooked you up.

I feel bad that i didn't see this until after i got home. I always have motors for kids. If I had known, you could have stopped by the NARTS booth and we would have hooked you up.

It's all good :)
We went geocaching instead, they like that a TON too lol

Next SCORE launch is the 16th, we will be locked and loaded for it!

Didn't realize the conundrum of running completely out of motors...
How do you narrow it down to a few sizes when you need 1/4A-Gwhathaveyou to put everything in the air that you want to lol.

I was never a boy scout, so being prepared really ain't my thing lmao.

It's all good :)
We went geocaching instead, they like that a TON too lol

Next SCORE launch is the 16th, we will be locked and loaded for it!

Didn't realize the conundrum of running completely out of motors...
How do you narrow it down to a few sizes when you need 1/4A-Gwhathaveyou to put everything in the air that you want to lol.

I was never a boy scout, so being prepared really ain't my thing lmao.

We have a big tub with all of our motors in it. If we go to the field, the whole tub goes with us. As I move toward MPR and HPR I might need another tub...

Thursday - we had a pretty good NARAM flying day at Hudson Ranch...cloudy and cool but not very windy. Not much classic thermal activity for the FAI 3-round PD event but there was still some lift to be had. Poor skies for tracking generally but the D SRA and 5xB Cluster Alt models were not horribly difficult (heh I was tracking for most of the afternoon). Plenty of flights since the cluster alt event was held over from yesterday. Heli duration will be held tomorrow concurrent with the Giant Sport Scale and Concept Scale flights. Scale model viewing is tonight so I'll be heading over with camera in hand in an hour or so.

I would like to try that with my next Min Diameter rocket .. I have parts for 29 38 and now two 54mm's waiting in the wings !

Kenny

All the R & D reports presented at NARAM are now available from NARTS. See original thread here: link

Latest posts

Back