LEUP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mohmes

Reaction score
I know that this post has the potential to flare up quickly :facepalm: but that is not my intention. I don't want to get into the debate of whether or not an LEUP is needed.

What I want to know is how to get one and what goes along with it.

I have read that it may go by a different name now (EUP?) - can anyone confirm and clarify?

What equipment is needed - storage, field box, records, etc and any suggestions on where to find it.

I would like this thread to be geared to help those who have chosen to get one but need help finding out what all is really involved. Thanks!

How to get: call the ATF Federal Explosive Licensing Center and request an application packet. It will include the application form and the fingerprint cards that the ATF wants you to use. Read the Orange Book. Not all of it applies to you but nuggets are in places you wouldn't expect to look. For example: "Marks of Identification" are required to be recorded in your acquisition records but are defined nowhere. But if you look at the section describing the identifying marks required to be placed by the manufacturer, you get an idea of what to look for.

https://www.atf.gov/content/explosi...ry/how-become-federal-explosives-licensee-FEL

The ATF forms have finally caught up with the regulation changes that eliminated the explosives class distinctions (low, high, blasting, etc.) so there is not a User of Low Explosives Permit anymore. But you must have storage for the class of explosives you acquire. (Acquiring high explosives when all you have is a type 4 magazine is likely to get their attention at your next inspection.) Under no circumstances should you apply for a Limited Permit. It is so not worthwhile that almost nobody applies for one. (The ATF had statistics in one of their recent newsletters.)

A type 4 magazine is pretty much required. An alternative is contingent storage with another permittee. But the ATF recently published (in a newsletter I think) the record keeping requirements. Which are significant. Basically storing your materials in someone else's magazine is a change of possession. You are distributing it to them and both have to keep records reflecting that. Then when you pick it up later, it is an acquisition.

After you apply you will be interviewed by the ATF. If approved you can expect an inspection at least once every three years.

David - thanks that is some great information.

I have started looking for a Type 4 Magazine and so far the best one I have come up with is here https://merlinmissiles.com/explosives_magazine.html. Basically all that I am wanting to store is 1 can of BP, some igniters, and a few made up ejection charges. So I don't need anything big and this is about as small as I can find. Does anyone own this one and might be able to comment about it?

That is about as small a Type IV magazine as you will find and may even be the same one I used back in the '90's. One of the caveats with the permit is that you must also conform to local fire ordinances. Contact your local fire marshal and find out what's required, if anything. In either case, get a not required/compliance statement from them to show BATFE.

David - thanks that is some great information.

I have started looking for a Type 4 Magazine and so far the best one I have come up with is here https://merlinmissiles.com/explosives_magazine.html. Basically all that I am wanting to store is 1 can of BP, some igniters, and a few made up ejection charges. So I don't need anything big and this is about as small as I can find. Does anyone own this one and might be able to comment about it?

Back