Fliskits Teeny Triskelion.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
Yesterday I recieved a Package from TRF Member Cavecentral with a bunch of Goodies, and among the Goodness was a Teeny Triskelion.:D
I've wanted this Kit for a long time, and just had'nt gotten around to ordering one.
Anyhow, it was an enjoyable Build, and all that's left to do now is Paint and attach the Streamer.

Got the first Coat of Primer on there and sanded down a little.
Sanding at this Scale is incredibly difficult. I think I'm going to simply paint it by Hand with a Brush after the next Coat of Primer.
If I use the Testors Paints, I can then spray it with Clear Coat and that with melt the Paint and smooth over the imperfections and Rough Spots. This has worked well for me on two other Models, so I'll do it again.
Only bad thing is that I'm out of Clearcoat, so this will have to wait.

Sanding at this Scale is incredibly difficult. I think I'm going to simply paint it by Hand with a Brush after the next Coat of Primer.
If I use the Testors Paints, I can then spray it with Clear Coat and that with melt the Paint and smooth over the imperfections and Rough Spots. This has worked well for me on two other Models, so I'll do it again.

TopRamen: I Really Have to say Hold on there! You will not be very happy with your finished product if you do what was stated above.

Sanding at this size is a bit more of a challenge but is very possible to obtain a babies butt smooth finish by dry sanding your primer with 240 and 360grit sandpapers before rattle can painting this model as you would with any other size.

All those imperfections you speak of will be enhanced and Jump out at this scale by the gloss clear coat not smoothed over.

It's your Rocket so do what you want, but I really strongly suggest spending a little more time on the sanding before trying to paint the model.

My Teeny Triskelion was primed & painted entirely with rattle can spray paints with the exception of the fin spikes which were hand brush painted.
Hope this helps a little

MM 341p1-sm_Teeny Triskelion_ready for fins_12-31-07.JPG

MM 341p2-sm_Teeny Triskelion_BaseCoat Yellow_02-01-08.JPG

MM 341p3_Tiny Triskelion Decals Complete_02-10-08.jpg

TopRamen: I Really Have to say Hold on there! You will not be very happy with your finished product if you do what was stated above.

Sanding at this size is a bit more of a challenge but is very possible to obtain a babies butt smooth finish by dry sanding your primer with 240 and 360grit sandpapers before rattle can painting this model as you would with any other size.

All those imperfections you speak of will be enhanced and Jump out at this scale by the gloss clear coat not smoothed over.

It's your Rocket so do what you want, but I really strongly suggest spending a little more time on the sanding before trying to paint the model.

My Teeny Triskelion was primed & painted entirely with rattle can spray paints with the exception of the fin spikes which were hand brush painted.
Hope this helps a little

Actually no, what I stated above does work very well. It did great on my Mosquito and 220 Swift.
I appreciate your input, as you are after all the King of Micro, but I'm going to do what I have had good results with in the past.
The Clear Coat really does "Melt" the Testors Paint and it homogenizes evenly onto the Surface it is painted on.
I would not just do it if I had'nt seen it work flawlessly in the past.
I will sand as much as possible, but it won't be so critical to sand it to perfection using my Method.

I'll have to wait til' I have more Clearcoat anyway, as with the other two Models I did this with I did the Clear within one day of the Testors, while it was still slightly tacky.
In the meantime I'll gently sand it some more.:)

I actually find it kinda therapeutic working on these tiny models.

You have to let the paint get completely dry, then do the sanding. Goes much better. I can build & finish a large 3in. rocket, faster than one of these. As John states.... you must simply take your time & not rush at all.

Tearing....folding sandpaper....finding all the little angles when sanding becomes a new set of skills on these micro's.

When it comes to spaying , keep the model at a farther distance than you may be used to.... just gently fog the paint on. It's real easy to load up the tiny parts with paint if you approach these with a low or mid power mentality.

Fog them from a distance at many different angles to get a nice finish coat on evenly.

I tried.... once to brush on a finish... never again. [ I have a fantastic skill set when it comes to paint, did it 28 years commercially]

Sometimes one must just bite the bullet & learn new techniques, to fit the new project at hand...... just say'n.

I am most certainly NOT telling you how to work on your own model. Just expressing the learning curve it took me to get great results. It WAS with the extra effort in the long run.

Good luck with this rocket, it was also one of my first Micro's and is definitely a great flier.

My first paint job was the same rocket you are doing, kinda scared me too. After I figured it out, I was doing multi-colored jobs in no time. You will too. Just don't bite off too much, first time around.

100_2279.jpg

100_3711.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I have sanded as much as possible as was suggested, and sprayed the Blue, but since I did'nt have a good Yellow in a spray, I did the Testors Paint for the Nose, and it is going well.

Here's 13mm 220 Swift that I used the Testors Melt Method on.
I'm going to print up some more of this miniature Checkerboard for the Triskelion, as I love Checkerboards.

Last edited:
Well, I have sanded as much as possible as was suggested, and sprayed the Blue, but since I did'nt have a good Yellow in a spray, I did the Testors Paint for the Nose, and it is going well.

Looking good! :). I am hoping to have a full set of our micros out at the anniversary launch... Gotta git to building!

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Thanks!
And thanks for making such a Cool Design. I'll definitely being trying out a few more of your Kits.:)

I have a Rod now for this, but still need to get around to ordering some MMX Motors.

Nice! This got me thinking about using the MMX motors in my Estes 220 Swift. Always fun finding it after it has been flown on a 1/2A since it seems to always disappear from view and eventually found.

Back