Data port extension?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunderll

Reaction score
I'm trying to locate the plugs to make a data port extension cable for my stratologger installation. I want to avoid having to remove the altimeter in order to read the data. In the picture the screwdriver is pointing to the connector. I'd really like to locate about a 6" extension cable already made.

Thanks for any help.

Data plug.jpg

There are USB ports that can be bolted onto cases. I have seen a couple of people that have used these extensions and screwed the USB port to the outside of the airframe so they can just plug straight into that. For the life of me I cannot remember what they are called and where to find them. Someone on here will know what i mean and shout.

Thank you Azzie!!! That is exactly what I wanted. I can't believe as many times as I've looked at their website, I never saw that. Thanks for sending me the link!!

Keep in mind that the data port on the board is serial (RS-232), not USB. Perfectflite does have an adapter.
+1 It is an RS-232 connector and uses 3.3 volts logic, not the 5 volt logic in your computer. The connector only utilizes 4 pins of the 5 available and the connector design does not allow a reverse connection which could damage the altimeter. I would contact PerfectFlite to see if they could make you a cable, or suggest part numbers.

Bob

Thank you Bob...I located the exact cable I needed from Perfectflite under "accessories."

There are USB ports that can be bolted onto cases. I have seen a couple of people that have used these extensions and screwed the USB port to the outside of the airframe so they can just plug straight into that. For the life of me I cannot remember what they are called and where to find them. Someone on here will know what i mean and shout.

I think you may find some of those at this link at USBfirewire.com. Someone posted these in a project elsewhere here on TRF. I imagine there's a pre-wired version, too. Pretty slick, really.
PanelMountUSB-rr-214300-50.jpg

Mark

+1 It is an RS-232 connector and uses 3.3 volts logic, not the 5 volt logic in your computer. The connector only utilizes 4 pins of the 5 available and the connector design does not allow a reverse connection which could damage the altimeter. I would contact PerfectFlite to see if they could make you a cable, or suggest part numbers.
Bob

I like Bob's idea...

Maybe I'm just not understanding how you would use the Pigtail Cable for DT3U??? :confused2:

First of all, Stratologger data port uses 3.3V CMOS level (not RS-232, big difference).

DT3U uses the same pigtail cable with its "black" connector hidden below shrink-wrap. Take off shrink-wrap and check it out.

Wire pigtail cable from altimeter to the outside of the rocket. You can simply leave 1-2" of the cable hanging outside of the rocket and tape it to the body. After the flight, connect DT3U the rocket and download the data.

If you like aesthetics or want to keep DT3U shrink-wrapped, then make your own 5-pin extension cable. You can make it from this, glue 5 jumpers to a piece of plastic to make a flat connector.

If you really want to impress everyone, buy a couple of XBee's and make the whole thing wireless :)

Back