RRC3 Issue-- Incredibly Frustrated

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
OK, I am really frustrated at this point.

I have tried multiple times to connect my RRC3 to my computer. I have followed Jim Amos's instructions to the tee. His computer hooked up to it fine. I tried it on a VM on a mac, and also another windows machine. it still doesn't work. What are your EXACT steps to hook up your RRC3 to your computer?

I am really starting to think about getting another altimeter. I have literally spent EASILY 10+ hours trying to get this to work. Nothing has helped. At all. I keep on getting some stupid error where the Tx light isn't on, but the computer knows something is connected, and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pm me for my phone number if you don't mind talking me through the process.

Matt I feel the pain been there , I have a laptop and pc both use to be a fight to connect. I'm positive it was my pc's as my Baofeng radio wont either

I did seem have better luck using 9volt for power and switch to connect ? could have been in my mind.

RIP RRC3 Lake Icky got my in May

Good luck

Last edited:
I have never been able to get VirtualBox to work with the driver and have not tried any other vm's.

I had to re-install the driver with admin privileges on both win7 and 8.1. Even then I have to try the connection several times before it will take. I think the connect has to happen within a few seconds after the rrc3 boots.

It's your USB cable. I have had the same issues with lesser cables. There appears to be several different qualities of cables.

The weird part is, I sent this exact setup to Jim and he said it worked perfectly.

Could it be a USB 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 kind of thing? Do you two have the same USB capability?

Question:

Do you have your printer hooked up by USB as well?
If so; try unplugging it first then, try to connect to it.
I had this happen to me.
USB serial interface fights with other programs who hog it.

JD

The weird part is, I sent this exact setup to Jim and he said it worked perfectly.

It's your USB cable. I have had the same issues with lesser cables. There appears to be several different qualities of cables.

I had this EXACT issue, do you have any trouble selecting a com port?

I had an issue like this until I read the instructions.

Whatever the computer reports as com port when plugged in is what you set the program for.

Instructions say everything OFF including i/o switch. .. when you initiate the connection at the program and it starts blinking for the altimeter ...then SLIDE the i/o switch on .

I spent hours on this too with multiple reboots ..comport drivers reinstallation, different cables ..google searches for rrc3 problems... and then I found the paragraph in the rrc3 instructions.

About fell out of my chair when it connected with no problem..start OFF..then slide ON i/o switch when the lower screen is blinking to initiate...

Onward and upward!

Kenny

I've had a lot of trouble with mine also. Last time, when I finally got connected, there was no data to download. All the flights were gone.

Too finicky - will be used as a backup only.

That's really weird, I had a problem on the earlier version, but the last release I have never had a problem with. On my XP machine I did have but that was a compatibility problem with the Com port settings. fixed now and works great. Com port is a place I start with ( is it there and functional and what com did it assign it to, those can be forced, all of mine are set to Com#3), I will add another note here: when you setup and use one USB port, don't move it to another USB port and expect it to work, all USB port are different in software and well be reassigned. I have that problem with Windows in general all the time at work.

blackbrandt, you had this problem before, so now comes a big question, what did you change from then till now on your computer or cabling

Love those RRC3's, (4 )in hand now and expect to get more. Oh now have (5)RRC2+

Last edited:
To all:

Spoke with Matt this morning... there's a definite Windows system issue. Windows randomly associates different port numbers with the same silicon, so at any given moment the port is available, then unavailable, then available as a new port, etc... I'm having him scrub all driver instances with an FTDI utility, then performing a new driver install. Also as Matt mentioned, I personally validated all his hardware (including cables) on my Win7 system.

To Rocketjunkie:

If the unit does not record data there's most likely something amiss in the flash memory interface. If you send me the unit in question we'll get it operational.

To Rocketjunkie:

If the unit does not record data there's most likely something amiss in the flash memory interface. If you send me the unit in question we'll get it operational.
There was no data at all on the unit. All the previous flights were gone too!

BTW, I setup the computer to use a fixed (COM5) port every time the dongle is plugged in. Otherwise, the com port can be different every time.

Back