Unloading and transporting rocket motor casings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

75Grandville

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just a quick couple of questions prior to NARAM

1. Loaded up a couple of motors this weekend then didn't get to launch them. I am assuming I can "unload" all the bits into a ziploc bag, clearly labeled, then reuse at a later date. Any reason not to do this? Goo on the o-rings is a problem?
  2. Flying with rocket motor casings: Unloading because I want to bring my casings with me to NARAM. Not that I have that many. Has anyone brought RMS components on an airline? I'm talking about only the casings - no propellant, no ignitors, not even assembly lube. Just the metal bits. I just don't want to find out at the airport that the TSA has decided to disallow these sorts of things. Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated. Checked luggage vs carry-on?

Unless the motors have the axial seal setup then just loosen the ends a bit to take the compression off the O-rings. I let a 24/40 stay assembled for way longer than I should have with no troubles loosen the end pieces.

As the to reload case put it in your check-in luggage in pieces, I wouldn't try carry-on. Things get much more scrutinized at that point.

As others have stated; loosen the closures.

And then remember to re-tighten them before launch!!

Do not disassemble the motors- loosen the closures and that is it.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Just so there is no confusion, you cannot take propellant on an aircraft (Neither checked nor carry on). You will need to unload the case and leave the load at home if that is your only case. Course you could use this as an excuse to get another case.....

If you are forced to unload the case, yes put it in an air tight container and squeeze/vacuum out as much air as possible. Personally, given the availability of of replacement of delay grains, and their sensitivity to grease, I would buy a new one when you finally use the load.

There is absolutely NO reason to replace ANY components. I have has motors loaded for months, yes months with never an issue. Not in a baggie, let alone an airtight one. Loosening up either closure relieves pressure on both.

I take it from the OP that he has to unload the casings because he wishes to take them (casings) with him on an airline. If I were to "unload" one I would wrap the O rings in a piece of plastic wrap, take those and the grains, other parts and store them in a small ziplock bag until use. Replacing the delay grain is not a bad idea unless you can remove it with out getting grease on it. If you can I would also wrap that in plastic wrap and then store with the other parts.

Thanks, all. Jeff, you are correct. I need to unload the casings so that they can go with me to NARAM. I will take the suggestions, bag everything separately, and consider replacing the delay grains.

Thinking outside the box, could you leave them assembled, bag them like suggested, and ship them to yourself at NARAM? Expensive, yes. But worth half a thought?

Thinking outside the box, could you leave them assembled, bag them like suggested, and ship them to yourself at NARAM? Expensive, yes. But worth half a thought?

I should hope that a level 2 flier would know that we cannot ship reloads or any other energetic materials and would never suggest that anyone do so.... Maybe I am wrong

I should hope that a level 2 flier would know that we cannot ship reloads or any other energetic materials and would never suggest that anyone do so.... Maybe I am wrong

You'd have to get a permit and pay the fees. I don't know the dates of NARAM, so I don't know what his time frame is.

Why not drive? Instead of getting illegally groped and searched I'd drive or take a bus (bus option might be hard with a rocket).... A casing shouldn't be. A problem when I go to the range out of town I keep all my brass nd to reload and carried that on the one time I flew this year...

Also do not consent to the body scan!

As for unloading I don't really know.

Nope!

Two major problems with that. The first is the easier one to solve - you have to be a HAZMAT-licensed shipper in order to ship motors. The second one is that the packaging for a motor is part of the DOT approval. If you change it from an approved reload package to an assembled motor, it's no longer in its DOT approved packaging and thus no longer DOT approved for shipment.

-Kevin

Nope!

Two major problems with that. The first is the easier one to solve - you have to be a HAZMAT-licensed shipper in order to ship motors. The second one is that the packaging for a motor is part of the DOT approval. If you change it from an approved reload package to an assembled motor, it's no longer in its DOT approved packaging and thus no longer DOT approved for shipment.

-Kevin

A I knew about, B I didn't. Thanks.

If you bag the delay grain separately, it's better off than in the original package with the propellant. As long as no oil on it or ejection charge everywhere.

1. Flying with rocket motor casings: Unloading because I want to bring my casings with me to NARAM. Not that I have that many. Has anyone brought RMS components on an airline? I'm talking about only the casings - no propellant, no ignitors, not even assembly lube. Just the metal bits. I just don't want to find out at the airport that the TSA has decided to disallow these sorts of things. Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated. Checked luggage vs carry-on?

I checked with my friendly TSA agent (my daughter) and she said the best thing to do would be to put them in your carry on and then take them out and put them in the bin when you go through the X ray so the agent can see they're harmless pieces of aluminum tubing. If you put them in your checked baggage and they look suspicious they're going to open your luggage to see what they are. You'll most likely get the same result but you have no guarantee the agent is as good as packing as you were. Or you could do what I do, put them in a box and mail them to yourself at the hotel.

Back