OROC Summer Skies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryerse

Reaction score
Brothers launch site, Oregon. Research Friday, commercial Saturday (8a-6p) and Sunday (8a-2p). Standing waiver 20,500 AGL, windows 42,280 AGL. Camping, Vendor. $20 individual, $30 family, spectators free. This weeks weather: warm, upper 80's to 90's, so bring water shade and sunscreen. TAP on site for L3's, NAR & TRA certification personnel available. Find us at Lat 43.8231, Lon 120.638

www.oregonrocketry.org for more information

Fire danger HIGH = No sparkies

Well, I'm home from the PSAS launch, and am going to unload the truck after work this afternoon and start planning for my next adventure! Fire danger is listed as "Extreme" so we'll need to keep a close eye out, indeed.

Off the top of my head I have these flights planned:
Code Blue - M1297W (again :) )
Excel Plus - K375NW
Small Endeavour - H97J

I have a couple other K motors in my box which I'm pondering flying one of those, as well...TBD.
What about you all?

I'm got quite a few Loki reloads in the H & I class that need to be flown.
I've neglected them for too long now.

I'm putting the I110 into my LOC-IV clone and maybe another into the LOC HI-TECH H45.

I've got a couple 29mm loads I want to fly in my Arctic Wolf well (it will fly with the TeleMini).

I'm got quite a few Loki reloads in the H & I class that need to be flown.
I've neglected them for too long now.

I'm putting the I110 into my LOC-IV clone and maybe another into the LOC HI-TECH H45.

I've got a couple 29mm loads I want to fly in my Arctic Wolf well (it will fly with the TeleMini).

Sweet! Look forward to it.

Sweet! Look forward to it.

Me too. Put the final touches on the Arctic Wolf electronics bay last night. The TeleMini is mounted upside down with just a 1/4" or so of its antenna poking through the lower bulkhead. My track record with this altimeter hasn't been good, but that may be more the fault of the Tomach :)facepalm:). Also made up some charge holders for use with the Q2G2's.

I might take a look at Ryan's Binder Design Sentinel since he'll probably be flying it on a J540 or a FastJack K motor. I haven't looked at it since it was flown back in May when it had less than a nominal landing.

Heading out Friday morning!

Me too. Put the final touches on the Arctic Wolf electronics bay last night. The TeleMini is mounted upside down with just a 1/4" or so of its antenna poking through the lower bulkhead. My track record with this altimeter hasn't been good, but that may be more the fault of the Tomach :)facepalm:). Also made up some charge holders for use with the Q2G2's.

I might take a look at Ryan's Binder Design Sentinel since he'll probably be flying it on a J540 or a FastJack K motor. I haven't looked at it since it was flown back in May when it had less than a nominal landing.

Heading out Friday morning!
Here's hoping you can finally get that Telemini to work... Do you think you'll ever fly that "To-Mock," er, I mean, Tomach again?
Hitting the road Friday morning as well!

Here's hoping you can finally get that Telemini to work... Do you think you'll ever fly that "To-Mock," er, I mean, Tomach again?
Hitting the road Friday morning as well!

Yes I will. I have a plan to outfit it with an Eggtimer RevD. It will fit nicely in the ebay. I need to do some range testing to see if the Eggfinder perform satisfactory enough in the nosecone, given that I have a piece of allthread running through it. I made some poor choices while building the kit that I now need to live with. If I were to build one again, it would be built very differently.

Yes I will. I have a plan to outfit it with an Eggtimer RevD. It will fit nicely in the ebay. I need to do some range testing to see if the Eggfinder perform satisfactory enough in the nosecone, given that I have a piece of allthread running through it. I made some poor choices while building the kit that I now need to live with. If I were to build one again, it would be built very differently.

Ah, I see. Having seen several of these fly at Brothers now I am thinking about building one sometime with tip-to-tip on the fins so it can be flown on K or L motors... TBD. What's the range of the Eggfinder, by the way?

What's the range of the Eggfinder, by the way?

I few mine to 6,483 and it landed 3,075ft from my base unit. I had no problems tracking. I must confess that I did not stare at the computer the entire flight. In fact, I only looked at it after I watched the rocket land. For me, all that matters is that it gives me it's last known coordinate. I don't expect to push it's range again until I go down to XPRS.

From their website:
What is the range?
We have tested the Eggfinder to nearly 10,000' triangulated (altitude and downrange) with the included "wire" antenna. If you use a directional high-gain panel antenna on the receiver (under $20), you can figure on doubling that range. With an external "rubber duckie" antenna, users have reported a range of over 13,000' without losing lock. Due to a number of factors not necessarily related to the hardware, you may lose contact for a few seconds as your rocket goes through boost, however as it slows down near apogee it will be reacquired and you will be able to track it almost all of the way coming down, which is the real goal of having a tracker in the first place.

Personally, I would expect it to be very similar to your BRB900's range.

I few mine to 6,483 and it landed 3,075ft from my base unit. I had no problems tracking. I must confess that I did not stare at the computer the entire flight. In fact, I only looked at it after I watched the rocket land. For me, all that matters is that it gives me it's last known coordinate. I don't expect to push it's range again until I go down to XPRS.

From their website:
What is the range?
We have tested the Eggfinder to nearly 10,000' triangulated (altitude and downrange) with the included "wire" antenna. If you use a directional high-gain panel antenna on the receiver (under $20), you can figure on doubling that range. With an external "rubber duckie" antenna, users have reported a range of over 13,000' without losing lock. Due to a number of factors not necessarily related to the hardware, you may lose contact for a few seconds as your rocket goes through boost, however as it slows down near apogee it will be reacquired and you will be able to track it almost all of the way coming down, which is the real goal of having a tracker in the first place.

Personally, I would expect it to be very similar to your BRB900's range.
I use the handheld receiver of the BRB900 make sure my drogue is out (when I can't see the rocket), then use the last reported set of coordinates to track the landing. The BigRedBee website states it has a range of 31K - but Greg says that if you go over that altitude you'll likely lose GPS lock, then pick it back up again once you're under 31K. At NXRS Rob Lamb flew a BRB900 to 26K, had solid lock all the way up and down, then walked right to the rocket.

I use the handheld receiver of the BRB900 make sure my drogue is out (when I can't see the rocket), then use the last reported set of coordinates to track the landing. The BigRedBee website states it has a range of 31K - but Greg says that if you go over that altitude you'll likely lose GPS lock, then pick it back up again once you're under 31K. At NXRS Rob Lamb flew a BRB900 to 26K, had solid lock all the way up and down, then walked right to the rocket.

Ya gotta love these things. The Eggfinder was probably the best ~$100 I've spent in rocketry. (and I've spent my share of $100's to date)

Ya gotta love these things. The Eggfinder was probably the best ~$100 I've spent in rocketry. (and I've spent my share of $100's to date)

No kidding! Don't know what we'd do without these GPS systems. I've had several rockets that I surely would have lost by now without it. At the PSAS launch last weekend one of the team members flew a K250W in a stretched Tomach (tip-to-tip on the fins) to about 15K with my BRB900 onboard. We completely lost sight of the rocket on the way up. It landed 100 yards off the road in the valley to the east - GPS took us right to it!

Update - as packing and prep for this weekend has begun!

Code Blue - M1297W
Excel Plus - K375NW
NXRS RTV - K550W
Small Endeavour - H97J

Nice. Those will be some cool flights. Can't wait..

Thanks! Can't wait either - loading up the truck tonight and leaving tomorrow morning. The drive will be easy this time because for the first time since the May launch, I'm not towing anything...

I have a question on the "other" launches out at Brothers. Do they all have Friday Research days? Are any of the remaining launch this year, all Research?

I just got home from 8 days of fishing around La Pine and was thinking of going back up for a combo fishing and rockets.

Tony

I have a question on the "other" launches out at Brothers. Do they all have Friday Research days? Are any of the remaining launch this year, all Research?

I just got home from 8 days of fishing around La Pine and was thinking of going back up for a combo fishing and rockets.

Tony
Hi Tony - we would love to have you! As I understand our July and August launches are Friday research, with commercial on Saturday/Sunday. If we use the same format as we did last year, then our October launch will be research all 3 days. Personally I would love to see our launches be ALL TRA research (much like AeroPac and WAC), however we have had discourse within our club about this in the past.

Hi Tony - we would love to have you! As I understand our July and August launches are Friday research, with commercial on Saturday/Sunday. If we use the same format as we did last year, then our October launch will be research all 3 days. Personally I would love to see our launches be ALL TRA research (much like AeroPac and WAC), however we have had discourse within our club about this in the past.

We should ask for clarification on the October launch being research all three days. I fully support that (not that my support carries a lot of weight...)

Last edited:
We should ask for clarification on the October launch being research all three days. I fully support that (not that my support carries a lot of weight...)

Same here! Yes, we should clarify that...

ohhhh... catch anything???

--

Looks like I won't be at this launch, not after having a steroid injection into my ankle this morning. Nope, no hiking for me. No wandering out, tripping over the sage. Most of all though, and the real clincher...... I won't be able to do that 5 hour drive. Yeah, I could manage the rocket recoveries, but the drive would screw me up.

I have a review in a month, but at the moment it is keep weight off the ankle. We have 3 more launches this year after this one, and I have N/s to burn!!!! Depending on how bad this is, I may need to recruit a driver.

Take loads of photos, and I will see you at the monthly meet for pizza!

Rob

Tony

ohhhh... catch anything???

--

Looks like I won't be at this launch, not after having a steroid injection into my ankle this morning. Nope, no hiking for me. No wandering out, tripping over the sage. Most of all though, and the real clincher...... I won't be able to do that 5 hour drive. Yeah, I could manage the rocket recoveries, but the drive would screw me up.

I have a review in a month, but at the moment it is keep weight off the ankle. We have 3 more launches this year after this one, and I have N/s to burn!!!! Depending on how bad this is, I may need to recruit a driver.

Take loads of photos, and I will see you at the monthly meet for pizza!

Rob

Get well soon Rob. The sage is not the same without you.

Let me know on the driver thing. I have someone that might fit the bill.

Back