New Kickstarter campaign to produce rocket and airplane kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks cerving. I was not considering "kicking" in but it would be an impressive vehicle and I was hoping it was real. Thanks for the link to the other thread.
Maybe the Kickstarter will work for him and we'll end up with another kit supplier...but I'll hold my wallet and not my breath. :sigh:

This guy seems to be running a much more successful campaign. At least he's offering something tangible for the kick-ins.

Are we sure this is the same guy? It is a new account name here.......oh wait, never mind.

Thanks cerving. I was not considering "kicking" in but it would be an impressive vehicle and I was hoping it was real. Thanks for the link to the other thread.
Maybe the Kickstarter will work for him and we'll end up with another kit supplier...but I'll hold my wallet and not my breath. :sigh:

This guy seems to be running a much more successful campaign. At least he's offering something tangible for the kick-ins.

Over $61,000.00 to make fricken potato salad????? Apparently PT Barnum is alive and well. There still are suckers born every minute...
18 people pledged $110.00 or more :facepalm::facepalm:
Maybe I should start a kickstarter to fund the family farm :eyeroll:
Or fund my L3 with some sort of sob story or drama to reel in the suckers :dark:
Now the kickstarter for the Veronica Mars movie was a good idea that worked rather successfully. If I had heard about that one when active, I prolly would have kicked in a tenner.

Adrian

Maybe I should start a Go Fund Me account for my hernia operation (Really, it's scheduled for 8/15). Any surplus could help w/my college and rocket funds :wink:

Looks like this has become a good thread for Kickstarter humor. Here's one, a Rhymes With Orange comic strip from yesterday:

Rhymes with Orange 21Jul14.gif

Over $61,000.00 to make fricken potato salad????? Apparently PT Barnum is alive and well. There still are suckers born every minute...
18 people pledged $110.00 or more :facepalm::facepalm:
Maybe I should start a kickstarter to fund the family farm :eyeroll:
Or fund my L3 with some sort of sob story or drama to reel in the suckers :dark:
Now the kickstarter for the Veronica Mars movie was a good idea that worked rather successfully. If I had heard about that one when active, I prolly would have kicked in a tenner.

Adrian

Not PT Barnum....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_a_sucker_born_every_minute

I guess I dont get the whole kickstart idea. I mean if you really think that you have a "great idea" then dig deep and fund the project your self. Other wise when it's someone elses money the person may not care as much if the project does well or not.

Dale P.

I guess I dont get the whole kickstart idea.
The idea of "crowd funding" is to allow smaller investors to participate in the creation of companies and projects. Before this, one had to raise capital directly through friends and family or venture capital or get an art grant. The bigger picture is that the Internet can disintermediate many things, and this is simply disintermediating the raising of capital.

I guess I dont get the whole kickstart idea. I mean if you really think that you have a "great idea" then dig deep and fund the project your self. Other wise when it's someone elses money the person may not care as much if the project does well or not.

Dale P.

Sometimes it's a way to get things people want in their hands that just couldn't happen otherwise.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/515267715/mars-awaits-2015-calendar

It's tough, my model rocket Kickstarter project failed.

Sometimes it's a way to get things people want in their hands that just couldn't happen otherwise.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/515267715/mars-awaits-2015-calendar

It's tough, my model rocket Kickstarter project failed.

My understanding is that a creator of a project does not have to fulfill the backers.
The backer's money is escrowed until the end date. Its up to the creator to refund or not.
Even if the creator refunds backer's monies, it would be less fees 7-10%.

How did that work for you ?

My understanding is that a creator of a project does not have to fulfill the backers.
The backer's money is escrowed until the end date. Its up to the creator to refund or not.
Even if the creator refunds backer's monies, it would be less fees 7-10%.

How did that work for you ?

The first one failed, so I got nothing and no backers saw any withdrawals from their accounts, basically no charge for failure.

The second one is not done yet.

Not delivering if funded would be a "bad move".

Last edited:
The first one failed, so I got nothing and no backers saw any withdrawals from their accounts, basically no charge for failure.

The second one is not done yet.

Not delivering if funded would be a "bad move".

Ok, thanks. Didnt read that in FAQs. I was hoping I was wrong.
So I pledge $$ on an Amazon account. I assume it would be a hold to my personal bank account.
Its held in a type of escrow, but no money is exchanged until the project is fulfilled/fully funded ? KickStarter receives no fee.

When project hits its goal, all pledges accounts are hit, Kickstarter/Amazon collects fees and you are handed a check.

Am I close ?

Ok, thanks. Didnt read that in FAQs. I was hoping I was wrong.
So I pledge $$ on an Amazon account. I assume it would be a hold to my personal bank account.
Its held in a type of escrow, but no money is exchanged until the project is fulfilled/fully funded ? KickStarter receives no fee.

When project hits its goal, all pledges accounts are hit, Kickstarter/Amazon collects fees and you are handed a check.

Am I close ?

Yes, there is an opportunity to read your responsibilities when you launch your project.

Plus these FAQs:
https://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter basics#Acco

"Is a creator legally obligated to fulfill the promises of their project?

Yes. Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill. (This is what creators see before they launch.) This information can serve as a basis for legal recourse if a creator doesn't fulfill their promises. We hope that backers will consider using this provision only in cases where they feel that a creator has not made a good faith effort to complete the project and fulfill."

Back