Got my Level 1 today! LOC IV and the AT H123W

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Morgan

Reaction score
Well I finally made the trip to Memphis, TN today. My son and best friend joined me.
I took my LOC IV and loaded the Aerotech H123W-M.
I used the Rocket Man 48" chute, the winds were nearly calm, slightly out of the North.
SO, I'm now Certified Level One(1)!!!

The Launch was Picture Perfect, straight as an arrow, no rotation at all.

I drilled the delay ever so slightly so as not to have the full 10 second delay. The delay
was around 8 seconds, perfect deployment right at apogee. The rocket was probably going
10 mph when it deployed, I couldn't have asked for more.

Altitude was around 1,700' AGL.

Thank you Burt and Mike for your assistance and checking my flight.

My son has the video so we'll try in the next few days to get it up on YouTube for others to see.

A big thanks goes out too for the help I've received here on the forums!

JP Morgan

Level 1

PS. Andy I hope my view point of your (Mad Cow Patriot) puts you on your lost rocket.

Last edited:
Congrats. That rocket is really a workhorse. The H123 makes a beautiful column of smoke. Yours went higher than mine, which makes me assume it was lighter. Do you think the 48" chute was needed like you thought?

Congrats. That rocket is really a workhorse. The H123 makes a beautiful column of smoke. Yours went higher than mine, which makes me assume it was lighter. Do you think the 48" chute was needed like you thought?
Thank you Cody.
You're right, it did make a long beautiful column of smoke and the flame was bright too!
Yes, mine is a little bit lighter than yours. 42 ounces without case and motor.
I like the 48" Rocket Man chute. I'm glad the guys talked me out of using the 5' chute, it probably
would have ended up in trees.
The decent rate was around 15-17 mph. Nice and soft landing.
I would use the given 3' chute only on a windy day, soft soil to land on or a small field.

JP

Last edited:
Congrats JP!! Great to hear it went without any glitches. So now your Level 1 Certified what's next for you?

Congrats JP!! Great to hear it went without any glitches. So now your Level 1 Certified what's next for you?
Thank you.
Next; LOC Magnum 3. Use a 54mm (adapt) case first out with a K motor...

I like the mirror clips I put on the LOC IV. They fit the Aerotech case perfectly.
LOC IV mirror clips retainer.jpg

JP

Thanks guys!

I'll come back to this post when we get the video up.

JP

Congratulations, JP! The LOC IV is what I USD on my cert flight too. Do you have more pictures?

Back