Level 1 motor recommendation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Coop hit the nail on the head! It is all about flying the field. When you fly MPR at a HPR launch you don't have to worry much about recovery area. When you start pushing 75% of the waiver on HPR, you have to be concerned about recovery area and tracking. Flying the field is part of what you will learn as you move up in the HPR levels. It never hurts to take Coop's advice and start early.

Kirk is right about making thing more complicate can increase your odds of failure. But you have to consider the consequences of failing to certify, you get to fly another HPR motor. It isn't like you lose your job if the flight fails.

I think you need to have a goal for your cert flight, above and beyond certifying. In my case for my L1, I wanted to try DD, try new construction techniques, make my own nose cone, build the whole rocket from scratch, and learn as much as I could about HPR construction and flying. I did break down and buy a 38mm MMT, but everything else was scrounged or made. I then used a Loki I110 Moonburner for the cert flight so it would get the highest altitude I could. As it turned out, the flight was 4,200 ft and DD so it wasn't even pushing the boundaries at the launch site, but it was still a cool cert flight and it met the goal I had for the flight. I learned more building and flying that rocket than any other rocket I've had before or since.

My advice, worry about safety, not about failure. You're always going to have failed flights. As long as they are safe, down range and away from people, that's OK. That is why we have the safe distances for launches.
:clap::clap:Give this man a prize!

freeman.png

There's a lot of good advice in this thread already. I built a stock PML Amraam3 many years ago for a Level 1 cert but then life happened. This past year I got back into rocketry (now with kids!). I decided to go for my level 1 and went through a lot of the same processes here. In the end it ultimately came down to what I wanted to get out of my flight (apart from success). I asked a few people questions to help along the way which everyone was more than nice enough to answer. I decided on a CTI H225 for a nice mild flight. Whatever you decide on, know your surroundings and make sure you can keep track of it. I watched mine coming down in a distant field, looked away for a second when someone asked me a question then lost track of it. That definitely added a lot of search time.

Good luck!

Certainly it isn't the end if you fail certification. Might be an expensive lesson, but it is bound to happen eventually right? The big thing is that after you pass the cert, you have more freedom in the amount of guidance in prepping your rocket. Having said that, the amount of checking can vary from one observer to another anyway.

Don't give up after a failure. Take some time to reflect on the situation and what you learn.

Kirk

Back