Prowline Epoxy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frederocket

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, being LDRS this year conflicted with my wife' class reunion and I was unable to attend my preference, I decided to start a build today, (Gismo).

Having a virgin gallon can of Pro-Line epoxy resin and hardener that has been sitting in the hobby room for several years, I decided to use it for this build rather than use my normal epoxy, West Systems. Unfortunately, when I cracked open the resin can, it appears that some of the resin, (about half the can), had solidified. However, the hardener appeared to be ok. I mixed a small test batch and allowed time for cure and it cured solid under a heat lamp in roughly 30 to 40 min.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with Pro-Line epoxy? Being I have had this epoxy for well over 4 years, this may just be a shelf life issue.

Most of the laminating epoxies I use have an advertised shelf life of around a year. I have gone past that more than once but had there been problems I would not expect anything from the manufacturer. I have seen what you are describing and the epoxy was made usable again by heating the resin in hot water (very hot). I have heard of people heating it in a microwave but that does not seem a good idea to me. It will give off fumes if you heat it so beware. I doubt Pro-Line will endorse this approach so you're on your own if you try it. I know a gallon of epoxy is a decent investment these days but even if I could get it to go back liquid I would not use it in any high stress areas. George

It should liquify in boiling water. happens when it gets cold.

QUOTE=gltruett;734310]Most of the laminating epoxies I use have an advertised shelf life of around a year. I have gone past that more than once but had there been problems I would not expect anything from the manufacturer. I have seen what you are describing and the epoxy was made usable again by heating the resin in hot water (very hot). I have heard of people heating it in a microwave but that does not seem a good idea to me. It will give off fumes if you heat it so beware. I doubt Pro-Line will endorse this approach so you're on your own if you try it. I know a gallon of epoxy is a decent investment these days but even if I could get it to go back liquid I would not use it in any high stress areas. George[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response... Not looking or expecting anything from the manufacture, as I know this stuff is well past any shelf life... I just might try the hot water method... Forgot about the old hot water trick... Used to use boiling hot water on paste type epoxy resin that had gotten stiff.

Fred, I had the same problem. I was able to put the can of resin into a sink of hot water for an hour or so, which dissolved it back to a liquid. I have had no issues with it after doing this, and I like it almost as well as Aeropoxy.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

My can of West did this too. My oven goes down to 175 degrees, so I put the steel can in there for 10mins. Worked great. Never re-solidified.

Adrian

Back