ESTES Retainer Question?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a pair of these retainers and I'm wondering what's the best method to attach them. The instructions say to use epoxy, but I was leaning more toward JB Weld, because it can withstand higher temperatures. Also has anyone had any issues with these retainers. My friend said he would be concerned with them melting because they are so close to the exhaust and they are made from plastic.

Thoughts and concerns???

Last edited:
regular epoxy works fine. I had a cato that blew the retainer off but it was the mmt that failed, not the bond between the retainer and the mmt. they are pretty tough.

I have used JB weld, BSI epoxy (5 and 30 minutes) and Fasco Epoxy glue. They all work well. As these retainers aren't metal there isn't much heat transfer to the epoxy so JB isn't as much of a requirement. My only concern is that when using a non hobby-line case, there aren't that many threads holding the cap on the retainer. However, with that being said, I have fired several H motors and haven't had a failure of the retainers nor have they shown signs of of danger.

I have used JB weld, BSI epoxy (5 and 30 minutes) and Fasco Epoxy glue. They all work well. As these retainers aren't metal there isn't much heat transfer to the epoxy so JB isn't as much of a requirement. My only concern is that when using a non hobby-line case, there aren't that many threads holding the cap on the retainer. However, with that being said, I have fired several H motors and haven't had a failure of the retainers nor have they shown signs of of danger.

The biggest motor I'll fly is an "I" motor but mostly I'll be flying hobby line and "H" motors

I just bought a pair of these retainers and I'm wondering what's the best method to attach them. The instructions say to use epoxy, but I was leaning more toward JB Weld, because it can withstand higher temperatures. Also has anyone had any issues with these retainers. My friend said he would be concerned with them melting because they are so close to the exhaust and they are made from plastic.

Thoughts and concerns???

Isn't JB Weld a brand of epoxy?

Do the instructions say to use a 20 minute or longer cure time epoxy?

Rough up the plastic and use any good (NOT 5 minute) epoxy.

In my opinion these are great retainers at a better price. One set I have had withstood an 1200W without issue. There are limited threads with the HP closures but it's enough. I had one melt and bubble slightly on an H128W bur that was sitting very close to the blast plate

Nate. I have some on with Rocketpoxy and some with 15 min Zpoxy. Nothing remotely near a failure yet :)

Nate

Back