Actor James Garner passes away

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Reaction score
I just read that James Garner passed away yesterday.

Of the few actors I enjoyed watching on the big screen and on TV he definitely was one of them.

An all around fantastic actor no matter what part he played!

Really sad he is no longer with us.

I agree he was a great actor and will be missed. He had quite the following in Great Britain in the 60's, no doubt from his role in the Great Escape and Grand Prix. I was pleasantly surprised when we returned to the States in the late 60's to see Maverick in re-runs and just thought he was the coolest guy ever. Rest in Peace Mr. Garner and thank you for the hours of entertainment you brought to us.

A great actor. I will miss him. I think I will hum the theme song from "Maverick" in his honor

Rocket on, Space Cowboy!

Liked most stuff he was ever in... great actor. He will be missed!
Lots of his stuff on MeTV...

Later! OL JR :)

I really liked the character he played in the Rockford Files. The theme song from that show was a hit on the Top 40.

I recall seeing a morning show in the 80's ("Today" or something like it), where a spokesman from the US Army gave Garner a Purple Heart from an injury from Korea. He had made an off-hand comment about this injury sometime earlier and someone followed up on with the Army. Once the Army checked their records and confirmed the incident, they made good on it.

Greg

I especially enjoyed his movies, Support Your Local Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter . . . funny stuff.

Let's not forget that James Garner was also in the classic UFO abduction movie "Fire in the Sky". I love that movie!

Liked J. Garner in The Great Escape, but some of you may you remember the movie Gran Prix from the early sixties.
Still one of the great racing films of all time (I've seen Ron Howard's Rush but still like this one).
Bruce Dern interviewed both John Frankenheimer and James Garner and they both reflect on the groundbreaking film work they did on Gran Prix, and Garner was one of the few that actually could drive a race car (he didn't need a stunt double).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghyr2iG-its

Last edited:
We watched The Rockford Files regularly and recall an episode involving a BB gun. James Garner was also the model for the lead character in the Supermarionation series Stingray--Troy Tempest.

[YOUTUBE]E06cNv55jTs[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I agree he was a great actor and will be missed. He had quite the following in Great Britain in the 60's, no doubt from his role in the Great Escape and Grand Prix. I was pleasantly surprised when we returned to the States in the late 60's to see Maverick in re-runs and just thought he was the coolest guy ever. Rest in Peace Mr. Garner and thank you for the hours of entertainment you brought to us.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Important to note that you and I know you are speaking of the TV Maverick (1957-1962) not the movie that came much later. Some of these young whippersnappers wouldn't know about that. ;)

Back