LDRS 34

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, one other thing ... think about this for a minute ... what is the real difference between LDRS at Argonia and AIRFest? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Oooh! Oooh! I know! I know! Pick me! Pick me!

The difference? A banquet, and Board meetings, and all the extra work that entails for the KLOUDBusters.

Really, that's it.

Potter YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

Come out and party with us, Lance! It's a great place to visit, Niagara Falls is nearby, and they did a fine job hosting it last time. Having done it once, I expect this time around to be even better.

-Kevin

It was awesome at LDRS 33 to watch low power rockets flown right along with both commercial and research motors. I'm pretty please to see that the current research rule allows virtually everyone to come out, fly, and enjoy their fellow flyers doing the same thing regardless if they fly low power or commercial motors or research motors.

Look no further than Scott's thread about his flights with his daughter for reinforcement of that.

In the past, Sabrina would've been on the sidelines during the Research days. With the new rules, she and her dad were out having a great time alongside all the other flights.

-Kevin

Come out and party with us, Lance! It's a great place to visit, Niagara Falls is nearby, and they did a fine job hosting it last time. Having done it once, I expect this time around to be even better.

Just not having the TV folks underfoot almost guarantees that.

Plus if you come up you can go to the Salt Museum and The Jell-O Museum.

If you you're into waterfalls and don't want to drive as far.... Letchworth state park is not too far and has 3 nicely sized falls- https://www.flickr.com/photos/31757945@N05/sets/72157645437700470/

Upper, middle and lower-
14715526944_07f838633f.jpg
14717910885_a88cacf97d.jpg
14531532967_6755b9922f.jpg

Last edited:
I just presumed Airfest was three days, and figured on five would be a typical LDRS. To drive 32 hours (either contiguously or in segments) for three days is not a value proposition for me. I have my bride conned into going to Argonia for LDRS. I just hope it is not in 2016, as I don't think I can sell my 35th wedding anniversary trip as five days of fun in Kansas. Not to mention at least five days of driving.

You might be waiting a long time for an LDRS at Argonia since Kloudbusters has indicated they are not interested in hosting LDRS again. Maybe that will change if they cut down the number of days.

It always seemed a bit silly to have LDRS for six days. Three times we showed up on Thursday for LDRS at Argonia and twice we left on Tuesday morning for the drive home. The crowd on Monday was maybe 25% of the weekend crowd. The place seemed practically empty on Monday. By Tuesday morning the place was a graveyard. Almost nobody stayed for Tuesday.

Monday at LDRS 32 in Blackrock was a joke. A majority of folks had left Sunday evening or right away Monday morning. Only one flyer planned to fly a rocket on Monday. The launch crew was planning to come out and tear down on Monday after the flight. Our group got up early Monday to finish packing up and was on the road by 9 am.

I think it's hard doing it on both ends of a weekend. I have to bid vacations sunday to sunday....to do a full LDRS I need to bid and win two weeks in a row.

You might be waiting a long time for an LDRS at Argonia since Kloudbusters has indicated they are not interested in hosting LDRS again. Maybe that will change if they cut down the number of days.

Could you direct me to the post where it says the Kloudbusters are not interested in hosting LDRS again? This is news to us.

This is Going to cause a bit of "Discomfort" a small typo in the dates people are spreading..
LDRS34 is Thursday June 25th -- Monday June29th 2015
All 5 days, Research will be welcome. (that is my version of PC, Their EX days) NAR folks are Welcome to fly Commercial up to their cert level.
The host hotel is the Ramada inn on the lake, in Geneva NY. No doubt this will be the finest hotel of any LDRS Ever! An amazing discount code will be released when the website goes live, your not going believe how inexpensive! We were floored they accepted our counter offer :)
The banquet will be held there and the meal will be fit for a king! If you don't like to eat or are on a diet, you wont like this banquet.

It always seemed a bit silly to have LDRS for six days. Three times we showed up on Thursday for LDRS at Argonia and twice we left on Tuesday morning for the drive home. The crowd on Monday was maybe 25% of the weekend crowd. The place seemed practically empty on Monday. By Tuesday morning the place was a graveyard. Almost nobody stayed for Tuesday.

Monday at LDRS 32 in Blackrock was a joke. A majority of folks had left Sunday evening or right away Monday morning. Only one flyer planned to fly a rocket on Monday. The launch crew was planning to come out and tear down on Monday after the flight. Our group got up early Monday to finish packing up and was on the road by 9 am.

Brian, it sure sounds like you have a lot of complaints about LDRS. Perhaps, if it's not up to your standards, you should either A) volunteer to host the event, or B) save yourself the disappointment, and not attend?

-Kevin

I could not imagine running a 6 day launch... The hangover of 3 day URRF was tough. Bob you are spot on about the current rules, seeing big stuff fly along with mod rocks is great.

NARAMs are seven days.

Two different launch ranges on five of those days (Sport & competition).

It can be done.

NARAMs are seven days.

Two different launch ranges on five of those days (Sport & competition).

It can be done.

I have not been to a Naram, but I am a vet of running some fairly large TRA events including an LDRS, the issue is not whether it can be done but "Is the Juice worth the Sqeeze?" for the hosting club/clubs. I am fairly sure my committee would lynch me if i mentioned longer than 5 :eyepop:

I personally think 5 days is too long. Hell, we ran LDRS twice in Orangeburg, 3 days was fine!! I can see 4, but thats enough IMHO!!

Three times we showed up on Thursday for LDRS at Argonia and twice we left on Tuesday morning for the drive home. The crowd on Monday was maybe 25% of the weekend crowd. The place seemed practically empty on Monday. By Tuesday morning the place was a graveyard. Almost nobody stayed for Tuesday.

that's perfect so I will go on those 2 days, the waiting time to launch must be very low

Brian, it sure sounds like you have a lot of complaints about LDRS. Perhaps, if it's not up to your standards, you should either A) volunteer to host the event, or B) save yourself the disappointment, and not attend?

The whole point of my post is that there is no need to have a five or six day LDRS. The fifth and sixth days usually have limited attendance. I would go to LDRS at Argonia any time they hold it there no matter how many days it is. I didn't make to Bong this year due to finances and lack of days off. I sold my house and am looking for another house right now. I used up a bunch of days off getting my house ready for sale.

We simply have not been able to find a site large enough in Minnesota to hold a large event. Some years ago a search was done for a larger site and I remember someone actually flew around in a private plane looking for a site. At this point, I am probably the only person in the club would would want to host LDRS. It takes way more than one person to pull it off.

The whole point of my post is that there is no need to have a five or six day LDRS. The fifth and sixth days usually have limited attendance. I would go to LDRS at Argonia any time they hold it there no matter how many days it is. I didn't make to Bong this year due to finances and lack of days off. I sold my house and am looking for another house right now. I used up a bunch of days off getting my house ready for sale.

We simply have not been able to find a site large enough in Minnesota to hold a large event. Some years ago a search was done for a larger site and I remember someone actually flew around in a private plane looking for a site. At this point, I am probably the only person in the club would would want to host LDRS. It takes way more than one person to pull it off.
I've never been to an LDRS launch before so I can't speak to this but a 6-day launch sounds like quite a marathon! I take it LDRS is usually in the ballpark of Thursday-Monday. (Or to that effect?) Indeed, I've found that lightly-attended launches or launch days are usually not worth attending, just my opinion mind you.

Personally I'd love to see an LDRS launch here in Oregon - we've sure got the waiver for it (20K with windows to 42K) but I just don't think our launch site has the capacity and capabilities for a launch that size.

Brian, you totally and completely missed my point. I'll be more blunt about it, this time.

You've complained about LDRS pretty much every year I've been a Tripoli member. Yet you've never hosted it, or been a member of a club that has.

How 'bout you stop complaining and putting down the people who work their butts off to host the event, and instead show some appreciation for their efforts?

I know for a fact that people who work to host these events quickly grow weary of hearing whining because they didn't do it the way, or the time, someone else wanted. It's a slap in the face to them -- what a nice way to thank them for their efforts.

-Kevin

IIRC the old traditional LDRS had separate Research and Commercial Launch Days. You could not launch commercial on Research days and NAR members could only launch on commercial days. On launches that went from Thursday thru Tuesday, the first 2 and the last 2 days were research and the weekend was commercial. Now that you can launch commercial and research on the same day at the same location, you can have less than 6 days, however not everyone can take all those days off to launch rockets. A lot of folks will travel on Thursday and leave Sunday, some will travel on Friday or Saturday and leave on Sunday or Monday so you have to accommodate them.

For those of us on the organizing committee, we'll have worked for about 18 months to plan and execute the event, and the extra day doesn't matter that much as long as the participants are happy. For LDRS 34, the organizers will be arriving on a Tuesday and leaving the following Tuesday and will get 4 hours of sleep each night if we are lucky. When it's over everyone is burned out and needs a few days to recover. And yes we are crazy since URRG has sponsored LDRS 31, URRF 1 and URRF 2 in the 3 previous years and doesn't know when to quit.....

Bob

When it's over everyone is burned out and needs a few days to recover. And yes we are crazy since URRG has sponsored LDRS 31, URRF 1 and URRF 2 in the 3 previous years and doesn't know when to quit.....

Quitting is for quitters and I am a quitter, no doubt, I am just not smart enough to come out of the rain! :)

Last edited:
Back