LDRS 34

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC the old traditional LDRS had separate Research and Commercial Launch Days. You could not launch commercial on Research days and NAR members could only launch on commercial days. On launches that went from Thursday thru Tuesday, the first 2 and the last 2 days were research and the weekend was commercial. Now that you can launch commercial and research on the same day at the same location, you can have less than 6 days, however not everyone can take all those days off to launch rockets. A lot of folks will travel on Thursday and leave Sunday, some will travel on Friday or Saturday and leave on Sunday or Monday so you have to accommodate them.

Bob

FWIW: When LDRS 23 was held in Geneseo the research rules were such that on the research days you could ONLY fly research motors, commercial motors were not allowed, so the research and commercial days had to be separate. Jump forward to LDRS 28, when Bob Utley, Neil Mcgilvray, Debra Koloms and myself were Co-Launch Directors, research days still had to be separate from Commercial days but TRA Members could now fly any research OR commercial motors up to your cert level on research days. Oh yes and we had finally just WON our decade old federal lawsuit against the ATF and they were forced to remove AP propellant from their explosive list. Now move forward to LDRS 31 when I was the Launch Director and Al Gloer was the Co-Launch Director. The research days and commercial days were still separate but only because we were still having to allow for NAR only participants to be able to come and fly at an LDRS. Then we do a quick jump to a couple months later and the Tripoli BOD ruled to allow NAR only flyers the ability to fly on research days as long as they followed the NAR safety rules while flying on research days. So this lead to many Prefectures opting to have only research days on their calendars since there was no longer any need to have commercial days to accommodate the NAR only flyers to come fly with our Tripoli prefectures. This is why URRF 1 and URRF 2 were flown as Tripoli research launches and why both launches under Bill Clune's leadership as a Launch Director were and will continue to be popular. Just as LDRS 34 will be very well run by Bill too.
We should ALL note that these advancements to our hobby have been achieved by the leadership of our Tripoli BOD, and I'm sure things like this will continue to be accomplished by them.

Last edited:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! NOT THE TROJ LETTER!!! NO!!!!

Will this result in the proxy skillet of harsh discipline? :p

FWIW: When LDRS 23 was held in Geneseo the research rules were such that on the research days you could ONLY fly research motors, commercial motors were not allowed, so the research and commercial days had to be separate. Jump forward to LDRS 28, when Bob Utley, Neil Mcgilvray, Debra Koloms and myself were Co-Launch Directors, research days still had to be separate from Commercial days but TRA Members could now fly any research OR commercial motors up to your cert level on research days. Oh yes and we had finally just WON our decade old federal lawsuit against the ATF and they were forced to remove AP propellant from their explosive list. Now move forward to LDRS 31 when I was the Launch Director and Al Gloer was the Co-Launch Director. The research days and commercial days were still separate but only because we were still having to allow for NAR only participants to be able to come and fly at an LDRS. Then we do a quick jump to a couple months later and the Tripoli BOD ruled to allow NAR only flyers the ability to fly on research days as long as they followed the NAR safety rules while flying on research days. So this lead to many Prefectures opting to have only research days on their calendars since there was no longer any need to have commercial days to accommodate the NAR only flyers to come fly with our Tripoli prefectures. This is why URRF 1 and URRF 2 were flown as Tripoli research launches and why both launches under Bill Clune's leadership as a Launch Director were and will continue to be popular. Just as LDRS 34 will be very well run by Bill too.
We should ALL note that these advancements to our hobby have been achieved by the leadership of our Tripoli BOD, and I'm sure things like this will continue to be accomplished by them.

At LDRS 32 I believe it was the first with Research days with NAR members launching (commercial). We had kids with A motors in the mod rocket pen and O motors at the away cells.
It work better than I thought it would.

M

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! NOT THE TROJ LETTER!!! NO!!!!

Will this result in the proxy skillet of harsh discipline? :p

That depends.

How clean is your room? Does the lawn need to be mowed? Are the dishes washed and put away?

Oh, and do I need to bring Nerds to LDRS?

-Kevin

1. Cleaner than my workshop.
2. We have a riding lawn mower. That should answer the question.
3. You are supposed to wash and clean dishes? Not in the south... ;)

4. Yes. ;)

I promised myself I'de never leave my State again other than to visit my Grandpa, but I am totally going to go to NY to be at an LDRS.

I would like to go......but can't seeing as the dates are the first weekend of fireworks for the July 4th holiday and I am a professional pyro guy. Maybe next time.

That weekend gave me a bit of a pucker, it's just before our anniversary. Thank goodness I have a great wife. She has already given the thumbs up so it looks like we will make it. Now I have to start finalizing the plans on my LDRS project. Can anyone say twin 24mm 6 grain pinks??

Reservations confirmed!

Perhaps Robert Dehate and I can do another O drag race, and it would be awesome if another O flight or 2 can join in, assuming Mr Clune and crew can support it ;)

Jerry O

Any Idea of when the website will be up? I want to go but I have never been to potter. Are there any campgrounds nearby and could somebody provide a map or something? I don't like the idea of going somewhere I have never been and not having any info.

Any Idea of when the website will be up? I want to go but I have never been to potter. Are there any campgrounds nearby and could somebody provide a map or something? I don't like the idea of going somewhere I have never been and not having any info.

this is the club that's hosting.

https://urrg.org/

this is the club that's hosting.

https://urrg.org/
SWEET! Thanks! I found one that's about 10 minutes from the launch site. Only $25! Yes! Even my mom is on board, she said we will hopefully be reserving sites soon. I think it's hilarious how there are a lot of people (I included) that are already planning and building their LDRS project.

SWEET! Thanks! I found one that's about 10 minutes from the launch site. Only $25! Yes! Even my mom is on board, she said we will hopefully be reserving sites soon. I think it's hilarious how there are a lot of people (I included) that are already planning and building their LDRS project.

Haha yes I'm planning on building a 4" 13ft tall pvc rocket as well as another 2 stage rocket named Hansel&Gretel. Hope to also fly a minimum diameter 38mm rocket to mach 2.

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Haha yes I'm planning on building a 4" 13ft tall pvc rocket as well as another 2 stage rocket named Hansel&Gretel. Hope to also fly a minimum diameter 38mm rocket to mach 2.

Geesh... And to think, all I am doing is making 2 cardboard scratch builds and (possibly) a 3ft PVC rocket with foam cone. I already don't know how I'm going to be able to buy that many reloads (I know it's only 3 but that's still really expensive for me). I guess that's what Christmas money is for. ( And Secret Santa) :p

Ya I have to start saving now. I have at least 250$ worth of motors.

My issue is going to be finding an adult mentor ahead of time so I can fly HPR.

I think it's hilarious how there are a lot of people (I included) that are already planning and building their LDRS project.

I've started my project as well. It's going to fly too high for either of the (semi) local launch sites that I can use HPR at, so it's probably going to fly once. Or at least once until LDRS comes back to Potter, NY.

My issue is going to be finding an adult mentor ahead of time so I can fly HPR.

if you and matt will be there then maybe it will be easier for us to get someone to mentor all of us. just a thought.

if you and matt will be there then maybe it will be easier for us to get someone to mentor all of us. just a thought.

That's a really good idea actually... I have been talking to one of my normal mentors on Facebook about possibly coming to LDRS but if he doesn't pull through ( I'll find out tomorrow) then I think we should find somebody.

That's a really good idea actually... I have been talking to one of my normal mentors on Facebook about possibly coming to LDRS but if he doesn't pull through ( I'll find out tomorrow) then I think we should find somebody.

ok PM me when you find out.

Back