Where to by mylar?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hornet driver

Reaction score
Anybody know where I can pick up some silver and/or copper mylar sheets. I would prefer a brick and mortar as opposed to online. Thanks in advance H.----I tried Hobby Lobby and Michaels---no joy

Last edited:
I bought a bunch at WalMart in the camping section as "Space Blanket". Package is about the size of a deck of cards.

Hobby lobby has it but it is in the packing material for gift bags. I had to chase around there for about 30 minutes to find where they had stashed it.

Thanks guys, I'm looking for something a little thicker than space blanket material although I could change thinges up a bit and use it. I need a slick surface with NO wrinkles. I'll check out the packaging material idea--might just work---damn , tomorrow is Sunday--Rats.

Thanks guys, I'm looking for something a little thicker than space blanket material although I could change thinges up a bit and use it. I need a slick surface with NO wrinkles. I'll check out the packaging material idea--might just work---damn , tomorrow is Sunday--Rats.

How big a surface? You might check shops that do window tinting, or check Home Depot/Lowes for rolls of DIY window tinting.

Something like:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Viagrow-25-ft-Mylar-2-mil-Reflective-Film-VMY130/202985200

The metallized wrapping 'paper' type material is thicker than space blankets. They come in many colors and can be found by gift wrap in many stores.

None of these are actually Mylar - they are usually polypropylene.
Mylar is polyester.

I found some of the thicker stuff at staples office supply. It was too thick for my purposes.

The copper or gold is harder to find... I've seen it at the "Space Store" gift shop at JSC/Space Center Houston (gift shop inside the visitor center, but they also sell online (though I know you said you prefer brick-n-mortar).

They sell a "space blanket" in the gold or copper color, but of course they're more expensive than the plain silver of WalMart... and of course it's packaged identically to the WM ones... folded up into a wallet size rectangle...

Later and good luck! OL JR :)

You can get mylar rolls at www.misterart.com. It comes in silver, gold, red, green and blue. I have used it from streamers and parachutes. It is very good. The rolls are 23" x 8'.

Careful with mylar, it's one of those TRF "tricks" that has utterly failed when I tried. Maybe I haven't found the right one. I tried the emergency blankets and foil balloons, but they rip in the blink of an eye and I have never actually been able to build a usable parachute out of the stuff.

Maybe I've not found the right stuff.

You must cut the chute out with a super sharp knife and not have any nicks when you cut.

If there are any nicks or tears, they will propagate very easily.

There are different thicknesses of metallized Mylar (or the easier to find polypropylene).

Careful with mylar, it's one of those TRF "tricks" that has utterly failed when I tried. Maybe I haven't found the right one. I tried the emergency blankets and foil balloons, but they rip in the blink of an eye and I have never actually been able to build a usable parachute out of the stuff.

As Shreadvector posted you must use a very sharp knife, Wheel cutter or Hot knife to insure there are 0 nicks in the canopy. I use Chrome adhesive backed Trim monokote for tape discs with 13lb Kevlar 2strand thread as the shroudlines for chutes from 8" to 48" in 1/4 mil chrome mylar. it's the Standard chute material for use on Competition Parachute duration models. 1/2 to 1Mil mylars are used for accordion folded Streamers.

I use a lot of 2mil Wrapping paper colored mylars for sport flying chutes that perform as well or better then Estes plastic parasheets using the same Monokote tape discs and shroud line material.

the only reasons I can see for your chutes not working is either Nicks in the cutout edges or your putting holes in the corners trying to tie on the shrouds... that is a super NO-NO. If you want a spill hole in the top it's best to use a hot knife to cut them.
Hope this helps a little.

12in Silver mylar full_05-14-04.jpg

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?60583-Making-parachutes-from-Mylar-balloons

This should help... also especially note post #2...

Later and good luck! OL JR :)

I found what I think is silver mylar or (polypropylene) at Michaels. It was in a section that was mostly devoted to floral arrangements but also had some gift wrapping items. I think it was labeled "Silver Tissue." Of course, I asked an employee if they had silver mylar and they had no idea what I was talking about, so I found it myself...

The stuff is not tightly folded into tiny squares like a space blanket, but it is folded into a rectangle that is about 4"-6" on one side and 12"-18" on the other (IIRC), and it has some creases. But other than that it is very smooth and flat.

I've bought various colors of the "Glitter Wrap" at a store called Big Lots for 79 cents a package of 6 sheets that are 18" x 26".

Price has probably gone up and who knows if they still sell it, but other stores sell it in the gift wrap area as metallized or shiny gift wrap. They may even refer to it as "paper".

I'm sure you guys are right, that nicks and tears did in the chutes I have tried to make. If I ever get the desire to have a metallic chute again, I'll try the wheel cutter and be very, very careful.

Specialized indoor gardening stores has rolls of it normally on hand and it is heavy duty. It can get pricey though.

Back