Clearing old yellowed payload tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tramper Al

Reaction score
Is it pretty easy (and safe) to restore an old clear plastic payload tube that has yellow/brown haze? Is there a fairly reliable soak and rinse method? Thanks in advance.

depending on the age/thickness of the payload tube i would suggest using a headlight restoration kit from the auto shop. If it is sturdy enough to handle a bit of rubbing it should clear right up with very little trouble at all.

Have a search on model airplane forums, i seem to recall reading there was some type of floor polish that will restore old clear plastic used on model aircraft canopies.

Have a search on model airplane forums, i seem to recall reading there was some type of floor polish that will restore old clear plastic used on model aircraft canopies.
That was Future Floor Polish which then became Pledge with Future Shine and now is something else, I believe.

It does a good job of restoring clear plastic that has scratches but I don't think it will do anything for the yellowing.

It may be possible... not a plastic model expert by any stretch but, depending on the type of plastic it might be possible. Astrobaby's suggestion is a good one to consider.

The headlight restorer thing might or might not work-- depends on the plastic and reason(s) for the yellowing-- surface oxidation is one thing; chemical changes throughout the material is quite another.

Since plastic payload tubes are usually quite thin, and age, generally speaking, tends to embrittle plastics considerably, it's questionable as to whether or not the tube can survive an extended polishing process using multiple steps or a complicated procedure anyway, or whether the ultimate outcome will be successful or acceptable or not anyway.

Without further information, I'd say it's an area ripe for experimentation. One would be advised to consider the consequences if the attempted restoration resulted in either 1) the breakage or destruction of the part, 2) an unacceptable outcome (which ties in with #1 obviously, but if the part just comes out irreversibly cloudy, hazy, scratched, swirled, or generally looking worse than when one started and/or 3) the restoring process does temporarily improve the appearance, but causes chemical damage or something that leads to increased fragility of the part or accelerated deterioration or destruction of the tube at some point in the "near future"...

Might be better to seek out a replacement, either to replace the original part outright, or as a possible substitute should the restoration process go badly...

Later and best of luck! OL JR :)

As I recall Apogee sells some clear plastic tubes, but only of certain sizes and they may be a little bit expensive. I think Semroc use to sell clear plastic tubes, but I assume that they are out of business now.

Semroc is still around, but the clear tubing choices have gotten pretty slim, with only ST-7, ST-8 and BT-55 remaining. Estes has a clear payload tube assortment but each piece is only 4 inches long, so may or may not be suitable for the OP's model.

I am working towards a Scrambler model, so that is a PST-65 tube that is I believe 5" in length. Not readily available new, I think. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Estes has a clear payload tube assortment but each piece is only 4 inches long, so may or may not be suitable for the OP's model.
Actually, the tube lengths depend on the size of the tube. You get 3 each of the following tubes: PST-20J (2.75"), PST-50S (4"), and PST-60R (5"). Unfortunately, there is no supplier for the PST-65R that the OP is looking for. FlisKits used the PST-65R in the PayLord, but the kit was discontinued last December. He may use a 10" length of PST-65 in StarLoad, but I would ask him before ordering one.

Last edited:
There are a number of Clear Polyethylene mailing tubes. Unfortuately most do not match up to our "Standard" body tubes. If we knew the size of the Body tube or transition shoulder you are working with we might be able to get something close.

The photo attached has the ID & OD's of the clear tubes you can get something close.

Repolishing the "yellowed" clear is possible provided it will allow some fairly strong rubbing. Auto headlight kits are one option, 3m Finessit-II is another either followed by a coat of pledge with Future to fill scratches.

Clear Payload Bodytube Storage-b_08-27-06.jpg

Oh - that is a tough one. The Scrambler repros were one of the first ones to go when Semroc announced their plan to close, and the parts went shortly thereafter. US Plastics has 1.75 OD tubing, not 1.75 ID. *sigh*

Back