Rustoleum 2X Paint Warning, Bad Nozzles

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
Today, I was spraying Rustoleum Painters Touch 2X Semi-Gloss White and on my second Can, it started coming out in Flecks. This happened a week ago on a can of their Satin White too.
I swapped the Nozzle out for the Nozzle from the first Can and the problem was fixed.
If it had only happened once, I would'nt complain, but twice is unacceptable. Now I have to sand the Spot where it started getting Flecky.:dark:
Makes me angry, as I thought this would be the final Coat.:mad:
On the first can that this happened with, I just assumed it was a bad Can and discarded it. Now that it has happened on a second Can, I'll be sending an E-mail to Rustoleum to let them know they have some crap Nozzles.
Thankfully, I buy my Paint at the Hardware Store where I used to be the Sporting Goods Dept. Manager, so I still get a Discount, and only pay about $3 per Can, but still, it is Paint, and so the way it goes on and looks is everything.
I really like the way this Paint covers, and when it works right it does a good job, but if it is going to be hit or miss on the Nozzles, I'll go back to Krylon Products, since atleast they have good Nozzles.

One thing that I've found that seems to help (some) is to warm the can in a water bath before painting, and shake the hell out of it for the full two minutes to prevent it spitting.

For my water bath, I'll take a 7Eleven Double Gulp sized cup and fill it with hot water, then put the can in (keeping the nozzle dry), and let it set for a few minutes. Then take it out, dry it, and begin to shake like crazy.

A couple o things I learned years ago with rattle cans are , first never point the can at thew object you are painting without first testing the spray pattern in the air or on a piece of scrap. This also helps make sure it is the correct color. Sometimes some idiot (usually me) mixes up the cap colors. Secondly, when done spraying, hold the can upside down and spray until just the propellant comes out. This will leave the nozzle clean.

Jerome :)

A couple o things I learned years ago with rattle cans are , first never point the can at thew object you are painting without first testing the spray pattern in the air or on a piece of scrap. This also helps make sure it is the correct color. Sometimes some idiot (usually me) mixes up the cap colors. Secondly, when done spraying, hold the can upside down and spray until just the propellant comes out. This will leave the nozzle clean.

Thats how I learned it too... HOWEVER, with Rustoluem 2x Painters Touch, the can is able to spray at any angle, so you can hold the can upside down and spray until the can is empty without clearing the nozzle. They suggest just wiping the nozzle.

I let the Can and the Rocket warm up in the Sun for 20 Minutes before I started painting. I sprayed it into the air first to gauge the Wind, even though I was wearing my Respirator, Gloves and Face Shield.
As I said, I swapped Nozzles and the Problem went away.
Yes, I should have probably made 10-12 passes on a piece of Cardboard first.

You can't clean the Nozzles on the 2X, it just keeps spraying upside down.

Get a small jar and fill it halfway with lacquer thinner. Drop you nozzles from empty cans in it. When a nozzle starts to clog, grab a clean one. This does not always work, but it sure helps.

I let the Can and the Rocket warm up in the Sun for 20 Minutes before I started painting. I sprayed it into the air first to gauge the Wind, even though I was wearing my Respirator, Gloves and Face Shield.
As I said, I swapped Nozzles and the Problem went away.
Yes, I should have probably made 10-12 passes on a piece of Cardboard first.

Using the hot water method really works pretty well. I think it gets hotter than sitting in the sun. The heat adds pressure to the can and it also thins the paint some.

Get a small jar and fill it halfway with lacquer thinner. Drop you nozzles from empty cans in it. When a nozzle starts to clog, grab a clean one. This does not always work, but it sure helps.

I second this method. I have a jar with a bunch of nozzles at the ready. I can relate to how annoying it is when it doesn't spray right and this has helped me to avoid that issue.

The situation is not just with 2X paint. I've had the occasional bad nozzle on other paint brands

The moral of the story appears to be: have an extra nozzle on hand just in case.

I agree save a few good nozzles in some acetone, wipe after each use, and I shake for at a minimum of 5 minutes or longer. It doesn't have to be a vigorous shake,
I found that long slow shaking works well, especially with the metallic paints (the longer the better)

ive used that spatter effect as a finish on some of my rockets and Ill swap the nozzle over to other colors so I get different spatters

I also like to heat the can up with hot water, the little bit of added pressure seems to make for a better finish. I agree with LW, if you use any brand of paint long enough you will get a bad nozzle sooner or later. One thing I do which has seemed to help me, for the finish coat is I only use a new can. For the base coats if the nozzle on a can of used paint has a bit of dried paint in the nozzle and spits not a problem, it is going to get sanded anyway in prep for the finish coat.

Mike

I had a second can of 2X clear clog up on me, went to their web page to complain, they sent me 24 replacement nozzles at no charge.

I have seen a trend with Rust-O white paints where the nozzles get clogged. I don't have the issue with any other of their colors. It is less an issue for me with the 2x cans though. I swap out the nozzle and the problem is solved. I am in Florida and paint is stored in my garage 85-95 degrees and I shake the cans pretty vigorously prior to coating. I do concur with doing a test spray on a piece of scrap tube or a piece of cardboard before spraying the actual kit. The good news about the white though, is that it is an excellent base coat for all of their other colors. I lay down white on just about everything at some point and when I get a good spray it is one of the best most consistent coats from their entire color palette.

Last edited:
I second this method. I have a jar with a bunch of nozzles at the ready. I can relate to how annoying it is when it doesn't spray right and this has helped me to avoid that issue.

I'm terrible at painting, but maybe this has been the reason all along!!! I'll have to give it a shot.

I have never had the problem of spattering with Rustoleum paint. Krylon and Dupli-Color paints, however, do nothing but spatter. With Dupli-Color, to even attempt to use it, I make a couple of quick sprays, then tip the nozzle down to let the pooled paint in the nozzle drip onto the paint drop, then spray a couple more quick sprays. This isn't even a guarantee against spattering.

...Today, I was spraying Rustoleum Painters Touch 2X Semi-Gloss White...

2x Gloss or Semi Gloss White = potential issues.

I use a lot of the 2x stuff. Never a problem with white primer or most colors, metallics etc. in the Rusto line.

Just the just the 2x Gloss White.

I've switched to Krylon for Gloss white. Much better. :cool:

I like Rustoleum 2x Painters Touch and have not had any serious problems with it. But I HAVE had problems with Rusto fluorescents sputtering and spitting gobs. They use a different nozzle, but I also think the paint tends to separate a lot more too.

I've also had problems with the Rustoleum 2X gloss white.
The other colors haven't been any trouble.

It's got to be the amount of pigment in the paint, maybe a glob that didn't well mixed travels up the tube.
If I hear a difference in the "hissing" when I'm spraying I know it's spattering and spraying the rough stuff.
It doesn't happen often and luckily it sands smooth pretty easily.
Still frustrating.

I've returned cans to Home Depot for exchange.

Last edited:
2x stuff blows, its like painting with a fire hose. Yes you can get used to it with practice, but i'm pretty sure you can get used to eating dog poo if you eat it enough times.

TA

Back