G-Force for Lv 1?- Built (page 2)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aerotech G40 SU and G79 SU are both WL.

Yes but I didn't mention them because they won't work for the application...too slow off the rail/rod assuming a 6' one.
I have a 7.5 rail so the G79 will work but the G40 still will be way too slow.

I'd think the G-force would have to be built REAL light for a G40. We have only a few flights on ours, but the smallest motor we used was a G106. It WHIPPED off the pad on the 24mm G145 (extra BP was added for ejection)! If I had to L1 again, I'd give this kit consideration on an entry-level H.

Later!

--Coop

Thanks, when I build it I'll probably fly it on a G74-6 economax or a G78-4 Mojave Green. The thrustcurve results aren't working ("The rocket you have requested has not been made public by its owner.") but after running a few motors in rocksim it seems like it needs a G to launch safely.

Ok I have tried to make it public but can't find out how,, even started a thread about it but no joy there either.
What you can do is go over to www.thrustcurve.org Sign up unless you already are, enter you rocket particulars and edit you settings for the rod/rail length you're using and then you will get the results and info you're looking for.

Hope this helps
Ed

Will an Estes 29mm motor retainer hold long Aerotech and CTI Motor casings? I will be building the G-force in a few days, and was planning on using an estes retainer. I'll leave the MMT clear and use a nomex blanket so I can fly longer motors.

Yes, the Estes 29mm retainer will hold AT HPR cases. It worked great on my 29/240 case in my Leviathan, but that is without any motor stops in the MMT.

So, I got the kit, built it, am on the finishing details trying to get it flyable for a launch tomorrow, and i've run into a problem. The nose cone is slightly bent. I'm not sure if it's significant, but here are a few pics. Think it's safe to fly, or should I fly it with a different (Madcow cricket) NC tomorrow and ask for a new NC?

IMG_0527.jpeg

IMG_0531.jpeg

IMG_0530.jpeg

IMG_0529.jpeg

So, I got the kit, built it, am on the finishing details trying to get it flyable for a launch tomorrow, and i've run into a problem. The nose cone is slightly bent. I'm not sure if it's significant, but here are a few pics. Think it's safe to fly, or should I fly it with a different (Madcow cricket) NC tomorrow and ask for a new NC?

This is normal with G-Force nose, I build 4 of them and they all have the same not symmetrical nose, no worry they will fly very well

It will fly fine with the current nosecone, however it would bug the heck out of me long term every time I looked at it. I expect a certain amount of quality control in the items that I purchase and I would expect the manufacturer to stand by his product. I have used Aerotech nosecones for some of my scratch builds and have not had bent nose cone (I really like the Sumo nosecone). I would contact customer service for replacement.

The kit arrived last thursday, I built most of it on friday, and was able to fly it twice on saturday. The build went great, I really like aerotech kits.
Gforce.jpg

Flight pics to follow soon. I'm not sure if I'll use this for Level 1, but I modified the kit a bit just in case. It has a Estes 29 retainer instead of the aerotech clips, rail buttons (I'm really glad I used rail buttons not launch lugs), no baffle (top piece only), madcow chute protector, and clips so i can remove the whole recovery system. I also added vent holes for an Altimeter Two or other electronics in the payload compartment.

Attachments

• Gforce.jpg
    Gforce.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 75
I actually think the G-Force flies better on small H motors then on G motors. You get more altitude and the deployment charges on the H motors are usually larger then those that come with G motors. I've seen more deployment issues on the G-Force because of relatively weak deployment charges on G motors. I tend to discourage people from using MPR designed kits for L1 cert flights, but the G-Force is the exception.

Good Luck and hope you have an long and fun time with your G-Force.

Thanks. There was another G-force (stock) at the same launch that didn't deploy, I think removing the cooling mesh probably helped and I double checked the coupler fit (and sanded a little in one case) before each flight. After I get Level 1 I'll probably fly it on H's and maybe even the I200. However, I'm not sure if I will level 1 on it, I may use 38mm RMS which would not work with the G-force.

I would never argue with that. I did the same thing. I flew a couple of 29mm rockets on F & G motors for years before building a 38mm rocket to do L1 cert with. I then flew those two 29mm rockets on HPR motors quite a bit afterwards, but doing the cert on a 38mm Loki I110W moonburner with a 4.2 sec burn time was great!

Yeah, I'm actually considering getting a LOC warlock/doorknob for L1 (or after L1). I'd like to try a 7.5" rocket that can still motor deploy, and fly on L1 motors. Do 38mm motors typically have ejection charges safe for a 7.5" rocket?

Here are some flight pics from saturday. I flew it one on a G78-4G and once on a G77-4R. These are the G78G flight.
It flew and deployed perfectly both times, no damage except for a few dents on the tail BT from landing on concrete.

Gforceliftoff.jpg

Gforcelanding.jpg

Here are some flight pics from saturday. I flew it one on a G78-4G and once on a G77-4R. These are the G78G flight.
It flew and deployed perfectly both times, no damage except for a few dents on the tail BT from landing on concrete.

Nice!! Where is that airfield your launching at?

I'm launching at LUNAR, Moffet field, CA. Afterburners, I might upgrade from a 42" chute to maybe a 50".

I'm launching at LUNAR, Moffet field, CA. Afterburners, I might upgrade from a 42" chute to maybe a 50".

Thanks,, the field looked familiar but that's not it.
FWIW I use a 46" Sperachute and it works great and mine with the upgrades is 3.1 lbs.

Ed

Last edited:
I actually think the G-Force flies better on small H motors then on G motors. You get more altitude and the deployment charges on the H motors are usually larger then those that come with G motors. I've seen more deployment issues on the G-Force because of relatively weak deployment charges on G motors. I tend to discourage people from using MPR designed kits for L1 cert flights, but the G-Force is the exception.

Good Luck and hope you have an long and fun time with your G-Force.

Yes really true on deployment issues we add .025g of 4fg bp in red cap almost too the top an have no issues yet just keep a eye on everything :)

I'm using SU motors for now but I check the coupler and sand before each flight if needed. 2 flights and no issues, although it's not the easiest rocket to prep for flight.

I'm using SU motors for now but I check the coupler and sand before each flight if needed. 2 flights and no issues, although it's not the easiest rocket to prep for flight.

Ya thats a Good thing. Man Ohio sucks Theres hardly any rocket clubs around Theres rc plane clubs but They cry like babys lol when it comes to rockets lol

Yeah, I'm actually considering getting a LOC warlock/doorknob for L1 (or after L1). I'd like to try a 7.5" rocket that can still motor deploy, and fly on L1 motors. Do 38mm motors typically have ejection charges safe for a 7.5" rocket?

The 38mm do come with more powder. The Aerotech's come with the powder in a vial so you can see how much. I would definitely ground test a 7.5" diameter rocket because I would be pretty sure it will need a little more powder for a reliable ejection.

Is there a way to ground test a motor eject rocket like the warlock when I will be using DMS motors?

Is there a way to ground test a motor eject rocket like the warlock when I will be using DMS motors?
You could use the same amount of BP as comes with the motor and place the charge at the forward end of the MMT. Just be sure to seal up with MMT with something to simulate the presence of the motor.

What John said. To test ejection charges, they don't have to be in a motor, just near the position the motor will be in. Estes igniters work well. You can put the powder and igniter in some duct tape and fire it with an Electron Beam controller. The only question is how to run the wires. Through the motor tube is always good, but as John said, make sure you plug it to simulate a motor in place.

A good way to simulate having a motor is to keep an old nozzle. I have a used 29mm, 38mm, and 54mm just to plug up motor tubes for ground testing. Secure the nozzle in the casing, add closure as needed, adapter as necessary, and secure as if it were for flight. Works great to plug up the motor hole!

Later!

--Coop

Thanks for the feedback! I'm also considering converting the G-force to dual deploy eventually, but I'm not sure as it will only hit around 2100 ft on the largest 29mm I's.

Back