Madcow Torrent for Jr. High Power Certification

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright I gotta get painting! I'm able to make the August launch!

Great, see you there. If you don't already have your motor you can purchase from Robert https://buyrocketmotors.com and he will bring it to the field (he also brings pretty serious stock along besides the preordered stuff). Avoids those dreaded hazmat charges. He usually stocks the high power single use if you don't already have hardware.

It looks like you have a well thought out plan and a very finely built rocket to go along with it. There will be no shortage of people to witness your flight, and I (Chris Bender) would be glad to be one of them if you like.

Great, see you there. If you don't already have your motor you can purchase from Robert https://buyrocketmotors.com and he will bring it to the field (he also brings pretty serious stock along besides the preordered stuff). Avoids those dreaded hazmat charges. He usually stocks the high power single use if you don't already have hardware.

It looks like you have a well thought out plan and a very finely built rocket to go along with it. There will be no shortage of people to witness your flight, and I (Chris Bender) would be glad to be one of them if you like.

Thanks! I don't have any hardware so a single use motor would probably be the way for me to go. As for pre-ordering a motor I'm I legally allowed to since I'm under 18? Is sounds like I can't when I look at hp motors at apogee's website.

You can order but cannot handle. I just ordered a bunch from performance hobbies but they are going to my mentor.

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

You can order but cannot handle. I just ordered a bunch from performance hobbies but they are going to my mentor.

Okay. That makes sense. So you order the motor with your money and your certification and the motor gets shipped to your mentor.(right?) One more thing, when I buy the motor I just have to specify that it is for a cert. attempt and they will let me pre-order/purchase the motor?

If you order from Robert, he can bring it to the field (no shipping charges), and hand it to your mentor (one of us high power certified), and we can hold it there until you are ready to do your final setup to launch. If you order through the mail you will have to arrange to have it delivered to someone who is at least L1. That is pretty standard, I had to do that for my cert motor too.

Okay so I was looking for a suiting rocket motor on buyrocketmotors.com and I wasn't able to find a single use H motor that was 38mm except for lower impule motors like the H123. The only ones in the correct impulse range were either out of stock or reloadable They did have a couple I motors... Do you guys a secondary suggestion for a rocket motor?

Last edited:
See if you can borrow a case from somebody. My DX3 is 6lbs and it used an aerotech H178DM for my cert. It went to 1300ft and had a good off the pad velocity.

Okay so I was looking for a suiting rocket motor on buyrocketmotors.com and I wasn't able to find a single use H motor that was 38mm except for lower impulse motors like the H123. The only ones in the correct impulse range were either out of stock or reloadable They did have a couple I motors... Do you guys a secondary suggestion for a rocket motor?

It looks like you used an Aeropack retainer. If so, I have the 38-29 adapter you can borrow. That should let you fly a single use 29 mm. The H195 new blue if a fun motor, and the H182R would also seam a good option. I thought the H135W was a bit weak for my 4 lb Mega Der Red Max on a windy day, but that was probably more the fact that it was highly over stable that led to the severe weather cocking. Keep in mind too that Dark Matter motors are forbidden on the DARS field.

I believe the club also has some cases you can borrow, but I'm not sure which one's. Just email Jack Sprague (his email should be on the contact page) and he'll probably be able to tell you. I would loan you mine, but I will be loading my 38 and 29 sets the night before. Worse comes to worse, I'll fly mine and do a baby wipe cleanup to get you a case.

Last edited:
Okay so I was looking for a suiting rocket motor on buyrocketmotors.com and I wasn't able to find a single use H motor that was 38mm except for lower impule motors like the H123. The only ones in the correct impulse range were either out of stock or reloadable They did have a couple I motors... Do you guys a secondary suggestion for a rocket motor?

Two things:

- Contact Robert and find out what his restocking plans are.

- sim some of the 29mm H's and we'll adapt you down.

Okay so after simming some of the 29MM motors, I'm thinking the H195-14A is going to be my best option. It sims to around 1100 feet and leaves the launch rod with a velocity of 60 ft/sec. I think I might take one of you guys up on your offer for letting me borrow an adapter. Thank a ton for helping me out!

I'm painting the rocket today so I'll post pictures tonight!

The paint is finished! There are a few things I'm not happy about with how it turned out though... First I messed up putting on the "torrent" decal so it doesn't look as good as it could. second I used too coarse of a grit sand paper and had the foolish assumption that, "if I can't feel the scratches they won't show up in the paint". I was wrong. All minor problems that can't really be seen in pictures or from far away but it does take away from the look of the rocket once you get closer to it.

1408239158570.jpg

1408239176604.jpg

1408239191246.jpg

1408239204981.jpg

Looking good! That will be one of the prettiest rockets on the field, no doubt. What kind of paint is that?

The paint is finished! There are a few things I'm not happy about with how it turned out though... First I messed up putting on the "torrent" decal so it doesn't look as good as it could. second I used too coarse of a grit sand paper and had the foolish assumption that, "if I can't feel the scratches they won't show up in the paint". I was wrong. All minor problems that can't really be seen in pictures or from far away but it does take away from the look of the rocket once you get closer to it.

Yeah, what the heck kind of paint is this???? My rockets never looked so good! And believe me, I've really, really, tried to no avail!!!

what kind of car??

I remember some guys using "epoxy paint" that had an excellent finish like this. I never looked much further into it, but perhaps they're similar? I guess a standard spray gun was used?

I remember some guys using "epoxy paint" that had an excellent finish like this. I never looked much further into it, but perhaps they're similar? I guess a standard spray gun was used?

It's an automotive base coat clear coat, put on with a standard spray gun. It's actually an original color for the classic Ford Mustangs. I remember my dad saying that it was some pretty expensive paint but it wasn't doing any good sitting on a shelf so he let me use it. I'm really bad at painting a clear coat though so that credit goes to my dad. :)

It's an automotive base coat clear coat, put on with a standard spray gun. It's actually an original color for the classic Ford Mustangs. I remember my dad saying that it was some pretty expensive paint but it wasn't doing any good sitting on a shelf so he let me use it. I'm really bad at painting a clear coat though so that credit goes to my dad. :)

Cool.

Aw now your just showin' off RA ! :grin: Nice job. If you haven't already done so, I would get a final weight on that puppy and print out a few sims to bring with. I know you've settled on the H195NT but having a plan B, plan C, ... wouldn't hurt.

Aw now your just showin' off RA ! :grin: Nice job. If you haven't already done so, I would get a final weight on that puppy and print out a few sims to bring with. I know you've settled on the H195NT but having a plan B, plan C, ... wouldn't hurt.

Yeah that makes sense. Just ordered the H195NT from buyrocketmotors. I'll make sure to print off a couple Sims.

Don't forget to bring a copy of the certification form to the field also. We don't have a printer out there...cow flop, yes; printer, no.

Okay I've printed off all the Paperwork needed for both DARS and the NAR for a HP cert. launch, as well as the DARS launch card for low/mid-power rockets so I can maybe launch a couple of my other rockets there. Sadly most of my rockets are pending repairs from previous launches so I'll have to see what I can get done from today till Saturday. I'm doing the final touches on my Torrent. So far, what I have left to do is attach the rail buttons, and attach the avbay to the main body and attach the parachutes and the Nomex parachute protectors. After i'm done, the rocket will be finished!

Okay I've printed off all the Paperwork needed for both DARS and the NAR for a HP cert. launch, as well as the DARS launch card for low/mid-power rockets so I can maybe launch a couple of my other rockets there. Sadly most of my rockets are pending repairs from previous launches so I'll have to see what I can get done from today till Saturday. I'm doing the final touches on my Torrent. So far, what I have left to do is attach the rail buttons, and attach the avbay to the main body and attach the parachutes and the Nomex parachute protectors. After i'm done, the rocket will be finished!

+1 for the rail buttons. Anyone remember the rod whip on one rocket at the last launch???

Back