about time i got another vw project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris m

Reaction score
Well it been 15year since my last rebuild . Most were pre 1960 bus both the 21 window and the trucks . Yes vw had trucks both single and double cab . This is a bit younger a 73 what looks to be a turtle top and tour with the grateful dead . So could not let to pass through my fingers .I hope someone here will understand what I have found

I do!

I worked for VW from 1970 to 1985.

My boss had a type 2 double cab with a Conestoga top over the bed.

I had a 64 micro bus
a 67 bus
and 5 or 6 beetles and one KG.

Very cool that top over the bed now ( good reproduction ) would be 2 k without the frame . I saw a nos factory option top for my 61 double cab with the safari Windows . For the low price of $3600 . I use to have vw 's go through the Jackson auctions when I lived in ft. Lauderdale . Miss that very much . Worked in a restoration shop . Good stuff .

I rebuilt a Mk2 Golf four door "westy". Built in Westmoreland, PA. A lady in a kia destroyed it, though...

Recently bought a brillangelb 1998 Audi A4. 1.8 Turbo, 5 speed manual. Lovin' it. Almost bought a BMW, but decided to stay in the VW family :wink:

Braden

If these busses could talk, the stories they could tell! I made mine sign non-dislocure agreements --- good thing too, otherwise my chance at a political career would be RUINED!

I had friends with various 60's and 70's busses, and one friend in particular who has off and on owned many beetles, fastbacks, square backs and busses. In college, I would help him bench press the motors in and out. I had a 80's Vanagon for a few years (not as cool as some of the older busses, but still a great fun vehicle for hauling seven friends and all their gear out for an adventure).

Remember the Westphalia vans from the early 90's? Just when they got it right with those, they stopped selling them. Now, if you want to buy a 20-year-old one, they cost more than they did new! I was just on a road trip over the last couple of weeks, and at one place we stopped we saw what looked like an updated Westphalia type camper van. It had a sleeping loft, retractable shade canopy on the side, and a stowable luggage rack mounted to the back. I didn't get to see the inside. We stopped to take a look and the model name on the back was "California" which I had never heard of before. I got kind of excited thinking maybe this was a new model of VW van that would be for sale. I live in California, so obviously I should be able to buy a "California" van, right? Turns out it was owned by a Swiss couple who bought it in Belgium and had it shipped to the US for a year-long road trip. I don't think you can get a "California" in California.

You need to do a trike conversion.

VWTrike1.jpg

In the 15 years I worked as a VW technician (they didn't call us mechanics) I have taken apart and repaired every single part of a VW. Every model except the type 4 (nobody wanted to work or those POS.)

BTW, I was a VW Master Technician. I passed all of the ASE tests and all of the VW training courses.

But that was a very very long time ago.

My favorite was my Turbo Diesel Jetta. Unbelievable mileage and it had no problem keeping up with traffic.

385,000+ mile and the odometer hadn't worked in 3 years before Michigan winter finally did the body in.

The diesel engine was still running great so I sold it to a guy for $500.

I think he wanted to put the engine in a boat.

I love the TDIs Gordy!

On terms of alternate fuels, I've been thinking of doing an E85 conversion in the Audi.

Braden

E85 is the way to go . Last fill up on my 2000 ranger . E85 was 2.80 per gallon regular was 3.60

Also look up the book Volkswagen of the world . It would blow your mind . Like the gol ( that's the spelling ) in Brazil and surrounding countries the golf platform with type 1 transaxle and 1200 single port.

Yay, more folks with interest in my other hobby! I've had a couple beetles (60 and 69) and two squarebacks (71, 72), and almost bought a 65 21 window bus, but the seller stepped out to "partake", and never came back.

I still have the 69 (have had it 32 years now).20130701_195319.jpg
-Ken

Had a 67 and 71 bus back in the day. About 86-87ish I put a 5000$ Gene Berg motor in the 71 that thing was so scary fast. Thought I going to kill myself sold it about 15 years ago and bought a vette. Got tierd of working on the dub every day.

Back