Old new model. Now with video.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpklein

Reaction score
Made this 6 years ago. Finally flew it on a D12.DSCN8467.jpgDSCN8472.jpg

Last edited:
Fan-freakin-tastic! More info on the rocket and the flight please. :clap:

Thanks everyone. I think it is more suited for an E composite motor, I weighs in at about the limit of a D12. The flight was okay but could have gone higher. I came up with the design about 28 years ago. Originaly the lower stage was to have big fins and painted white with black markings like a Saturn V. but when I built it I made it to be more contemporary to today's designs. The upper stage is still the same original design. Ther small Mars Rocket I made last year is similar, but more of an upgraded Saturn V design.

The many little details really add up to a great scale effect. I'm working on a shuttle and banding you acheived with the red primer is exactly what I'm going for on the main tank.

Fan-freakin-tastic! More info on the rocket and the flight please. :clap:

I couldn't have said it any better.
xyxthumbs.gif

I too would like to know how much of the build is the original Sat V and what parts did you add/subtract to get that look?

Thanks
Ed

Very cool... looks sorta like an American Proton, but with strap-on boosters rather than side-mount propellant tanks like Proton has...

Looks like some of the proposals for alternatives to Ares I... A shuttle ET with added on small boosters and an Ares I second stage up top... something like that.

VERY cool! Later! OL JR :)

There is not much more to tell, the flight was a little low, the model is about 11oz. without motor, D12 motors are rated at 10oz. max lift weight, probably because I rolled all the tubes myself from card stock, and the main body beeing the heavyest. There really is nothing about it that is Saturn V related except the original first idea for the paint scheme. It does well with just the SRB things for stability. The whole idea was just one of those things where you get a bug up your ...whatever....and jump into developing a design. In this case, the design started 28 years ago and after laying dormant for 22 years finaly came to fruition with a few modern updates.

Last edited:
Back