CTI 24mm or 29mm G motor preference

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr G

Reaction score
It appears there are similar power G loads for either the 24mm CTI 6 grain case or the 29mm CTI 2 or 3 grain case. The reload prices are almost the same. Do you have a preference for one or the other and if so why?

I've seen both fly (don't own either) but find the 24mm more impressive simply because you see this relatively huge rocket leap off the pad, and then realize it was flying on a 24mm motor :y:
With adapters, the 24mm cases could also be flown in a wider variety of rockets.
Nate

I've seen both fly (don't own either) but find the 24mm more impressive simply because you see this relatively huge rocket leap off the pad, and then realize it was flying on a 24mm motor :y:
With adapters, the 24mm cases could also be flown in a wider variety of rockets.
Nate
Agree I like my 24mm because I have a few rockets I built 15-20 yrs ago with a 24 hole built for the aerotech G-55 and G -110 and the F-39 just quite dont do it

I only own 29mm cti cases, I prefer them cause I dont want to have to replace them & usally bigger rockets are lost less often so better chance I wont lose the case along with a rocket. Plus only my 29mmrockets are set up for longer cases.

The 24mm are usually very impressive visually and sonically. This is because across the board they have short, regressive burns and high average thrust, i.e. G150-BS, G127-R, G117-WH, G107-DT, G145-PK,etc.., which all put out a maximum thrust of around 300 Newtons, meaning there is a lot of smoke and flame, especially for a G motor. The Pro-29 motors are much more neutral burning, and so have maximum thrusts much closer to their average thrust, in turn meaning a less smoke and flame off the pad.

Additionally, the 24mm case has unique propellants not available in the 29mm size - green(G84), pink (G145) and dual-thrust (G107).

However, the 29mm has the ability to use spacers, allowing a much larger range of motors. I have both cases (29mm 3g and 24mm 6g) and fly both very regularly, many times more than once per day. Personally I like the 24mm loads better - perfect for a nice 4'' cardboard rocket, gets it moving and stable very quickly but doesn't go too high - but the selection w/ spacers in the 29mm is hard to beat. I would say just get both!

Last edited:
I have both. In one rocket, we're planning a 29mm skid, then adapting down for a 24mm pink. Fun little motors!

Later!

--Coop

If only one is possible for you go 29mm this allows you to fly mid power and high power.

That said, I really love the CTI 24mm stuff. A 3 grain F85 White Thunder put into my Wildchild is current personal favorite. Once I get the av bay built for it I intend on the 24 mm G107 dual thrust, which should be a cool flight.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

24mm for all the reasons listed above

Plus cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Looks like there is a CTI 24mm set with 1, 3 and 6 grain cases that would cover a good range of loads.

Looks like there is a CTI 24mm set with 1, 3 and 6 grain cases that would cover a good range of loads.

Since you don't have spacer in 24mm, you need 4 cases to enjoy all the reloads, 1,2,3, and 6

case1a.jpg

Keep your eyes peeled fellas, In the next week or 2 "Gary T. Designs" will have a New kit coming out that "comes with" a CTI 24mm 6G Case & Closure for FREE!!!

Keep your eyes peeled fellas, In the next week or 2 "Gary T. Designs" will have a New kit coming out that "comes with" a CTI 24mm 6G Case & Closure for FREE!!!

**ears perk up and head tilt like the RCA Victor dog**

Consider me quite interested...

And on the subject: We did, over this past weekend, fly my daughter's G-force with a 24mm G-145 Pink. Lacking data, it looked just as small at apogee as did the other G-loads, and it COOKED off the pad. Plus, it was pink--something she always approves of. I thought it was amazing to get that kind of performance out of a 24mm motor.

N.b.: a capful of BP was added to ensure ejection. No measurements, but I'd be surprised if it was even half a gram. I'd worried the stock 24mm ejection charge wouldn't get the job done.

Later!

--Coop

Last edited:
Coop see this thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...o!!-With-FREE!!!-24mm-CTI-6G-Case-amp-Closure!!

NEW Painkiller 38mm Micro!! With FREE!!! 24mm CTI 6G Case & Closure!!

KITS BEGIN SHIPPING 8/8/14
The New Painkiller Micro!! Is the original Painkiller 3's "38mm" little brother. The kit is made with the same high quality materials but comes with one big bonus! A FREE!!! 24mm CTI 6G Case & Closure.

Here’s what the kit come with:
•FREE! 24mm CTI 6G Case & Closure.
•5:1 Black VK NC, This seamless cone is an injection molded fiberglass filled polycarbonate material that is easily painted and is epoxy friendly.
•G10 Nose Cone Bulk Plate.
•24” 38mm G12 slotted Body Tube.
•8” 24mm G12 Motor Mount.
•(2) Extra wide G12 Centering rings for mounting Rail Buttons in.
•(3) 1/16” Black G10 TTW Fins.
•Vinyl Decal.

Features:•All Fiberglass Design
•Single Deploy
•Light weight
•Almost 3 Feet Tall
•Approx. built weight 17oz
•Designed by “Gary T. Designs"

Kits will be available through BLASTCAP ROCKETRY and will sell for 79.99

Keep in mind something; if you have large rocket, the 24mm contain only 0,6 g of BP so half of the 29mm ( 1,2g) , so if have a large AFT tube volume, you may have problem.

Keep in mind something; if you have large rocket, the 24mm contain only 0,6 g of BP so half of the 29mm ( 1,2g) , so if have a large AFT tube volume, you may have problem.

Quite true. That's why we added the BP to ours--but I had no measurement for what we added. Will do next time for sure.

Later!

--Coop

Back