New product - how stupid is this?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watching that, these phrases came to mind...

A fool and his money are soon parted.

There's a sucker born every minute.

I wonder what they could have done with 8 years of development time?

I thought they said it was $199. Anyway, if this is a real product, which it seems to be, they will likely sell a million of them at least.

You gotta love free enterprise.

I'll bet when the first one came out there were naysayers that wondered why in the world you would want to have a phone with you all the time. ;)

I thought they said it was $199. Anyway, if this is a real product, which it seems to be, they will likely sell a million of them at least.

You gotta love free enterprise.

I'll bet when the first one came out there were naysayers that wondered why in the world you would want to have a phone with you all the time. ;)
This product is so fundamentally stupid and is being so universally panned on techie sites that I suspect it will sell only to those who are incredibly stupid, but have plenty of disposable income.

So, you're right, it'll sell millions...

You have to worry that civilisation is doomed when a mere drinking cup is smarter than the person using it.

You fill the cup with coffee and it tells you that it contains coffee. To activate it, you tip it part way over, and it tells you that it contains coffee. Perhaps it even tells you that it contains about half as much coffee as it did five seconds ago.

It also tracks levels of various significant things, such as sugar and caffeine, but then if you were worried about those then you shouldn't have filled it with coffee and two spoons of sugar in the first place. You can also alter the record manually in case you dared drink something from another cup that didn't tell you what you put in it, and presumably you can also delete records in case you decided you didn't have enough time to finish the coffee after cleaning the spill and poured the other half down the sink. So, if you're going to manage the records anyway, you don't need the fancy cup.

There is no truth to the rumour that the government monitors the cup's data, then notifies local law enforcement if the cup says you've been drinking beer and Google Maps says you just asked for driving directions.

Back