Eye Catching Design - Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And nothing makes a black rocket more sinister than some red trim

edge trim.jpg

It also helps justify why one didn't round the leading edges of the fins... :rolleyes:

PS - bloody work calls yet again. Won't be able to touch this until Thursday....so please stand by
of course, I shouldn't complain - work gets me the money to play with rockets in the first place

Last edited:
Looks great. Love the black/red combo on it!

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Adding a little subtle color variation. Going to paint the fin panels. trusses, bands with rivets, and top spikes

so all masked up and waiting for paint

mask1.jpg mask2.jpg

Used metallic dark rub bronze

paint2.jpg

Almost done.........

So stripped off the masking this AM

mask3.jpg

And it looks like this. As I said - I was looking for a subtle difference (almost too subtle)

panel paint.jpg

...some soft decals (like a wide band then a space then a slightly less wide band and a less wide space to a narrow band then narrow space and so on for about 5 or so steps) to tie it together. I think it looks absolutely fantastic!

Add some trim tape - did do two bands with different thickness

trim1.jpg

And a little trim on the top, but not as fancy....

trim2.jpg

At the deep edge of the galaxy lies a far off planet called Myopia, home of a race of ophthalmic organisms.

Their Grand Leader, the Opticus, orders a fleet of spacecraft.

These craft, designated the Rapier series, have spikes for gashing and gouging and a confinement system for the immuration of captured villains.

Their goal is to separate these wretched rogues, who usually have a symbiotic relationship with alien hosts, and return them to the home planet for appropriate punishment.

OK, OK – story writer I am not, but I do present to you my Eye Catching design…..

final1.jpg final2.jpg final3.jpg final6.jpg

final4.jpg final5.jpg final7.jpg

Oh - and this thing turned out bigger & heavier than I thought so it really should have been under the mid-power section...

Last edited:
Over the top craftsmanship. GO YOU! I like this and It looks like a stable design. I'm sure Scotty Dawg is drooling at this point. I appreciate your attention to detail. Has a hint of steam punk in it.

Very cool design... Makes me want to maybe someday think about possibly doing something creative. :)

Fan-friggin-tastic! Very impressive sir! I can tell you really had your eyes caged on this build........

Been eyeballing (sigh) this build from the start. Awesome design! I can't let my son see it however. He will be forever disappointed in anything I build! Nice work. Some people just have talent.

Went to the Syracuse Rocket Club and flew the eye catcher on an F79 Smokey Sam (24mm 3 grain)

On the pad, but a tad late with the shutter

launch1.jpg launch2.jpg

Almost landed on their tent and unfortunately hit a kid. Didn't hurt him but scared him :facepalm:
Hopefully wasn't after his eye....

But never fear - decided on a second attempt with the same motor

launch3.jpg launch4.jpg

Not the best picture, but this shows how I used 2 chutes

launch5.jpg

Last edited:
Back