Eye Catching Design - Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the plywood overlay--looks nice. Just be careful the CG isn't creeping too far back.

I like the plywood overlay--looks nice. Just be careful the CG isn't creeping too far back.

Thanks for the reminder.

I need to update my rocksim file for the various changes, but it was grossly over-stable to begin with (margin was over 6! - but that was without an engine) - and the BT60 and 2.75" tubes are longer now

OK - first set of panels glued on (did both sides of the fin)

Had to sand off most of the F&F in the glue area. I did not get it all, so part of the reason I used epoxy - I was concerned wood glue would not soak in

So I smeared some epoxy and squeegeed the excess off and clamped it.

panel glue.jpg

And success!!!
After the first pair of panels dried I tested the fin. Much more stable! :handshake:

Second fin set will be drying overnight.........

All the panels are on. Really stiffened the fins. YES! :w::w:

fin panel 2.jpg

Meanwhile - what am I up to now..... :confused2:

trestle.jpg

Of course - I will need to see if my idea works.....

I need to make a few decisions.

Originally, I was going to use the 18" BT60 for the base and the transition, but decided it would be too short. So I used another piece for the transition. Now I think the base BT60 is too long. I'm thinking of cutting 2~3 inches off.

I also have to figure out the launch lug. With 2.75" tube, I have to move the lug out. I see 3 options
1) - glue the lug to a fin
2) - add a single stand-off between fins just for the lug
3) - Add three strakes to be symmetrical (one of which will just happen to have the lug attached). But I am concerned it will take away from the pod. As some say - less is more

Well, decided to leave the lengths as is

And I came up with an answer for mounting the LL

launch lug truss.jpg

I think the dowels compliment the "cage". I used 1/8" dowels for the truss.

I'm thinking of making 2 more sets for symmetry. I would use a dowel instead of the LL for the other 2 sets

BTW - how would one rocksim the truss????

Last edited:
Here is a better picture of the truss/launch lug without everything holding it together in the way

launch lug 2.jpg launch lug 3.jpg

And the second set of trusses are done and third set are drying - going for symmetry

truss.jpg

What did you use to create/print the design for the trusses? They look great!

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Glued on the trusses with their dowels. I think it looks pretty neat

truss 2.jpg top view 2.jpg

I added some card stock bands and a few more spikes

band spike.jpg

And I think there is enough stuff. Time to do some cleanup and then prime

assy.jpg

Cool - love the truss work and also the ply panels. Really excellent stuff :)

I like it. Looks like something Ming The Merciless would dream up =D

And I think there is enough stuff. Time to do some cleanup and then prime

Who am I kidding? More...MORE!

Sanded supports for upper spikes to match how the fins we done

And speaking of the fins, I added more

top spike.jpg fin strake.jpg

HELP. Make me stop. Added some rivets. No sure if I like them - will need to see how they look after priming. Right now I think it looks funny due to the colors

rivet1.jpg rivet2.jpg

This *is* an eye-catching design. Nice work! Sanding should be fun... ;)

Sweet. Mikey likey. When I first saw the design I was gonna say I had one similar rattling around in my head for some time. But as I see it come together, that is nothing like what I thought it was. My idea was a bottle rocket compared to that thing. Nice build man.

I agree, the over lays really give the fins some definition. Not so sure about the rivits--I think if they were smaller--a little more delicate-- you might get away with it but that's just my opinion or at least me thinking out loud. You got your work cut out priming and sanding so take your time. What are your thoughts on color ??

Not so sure about the rivits--I think if they were smaller--a little more delicate-- What are your thoughts on color ??

That was my thought on the rivets. Going to do a coat of primer to see how they look. I think the multi-color makes them look funny

For color I am still leaning toward a hammered black with red trim. I did pick up some Rustoleum "dark rubbed bronze" (I think that was the name) that I will use for a bit of contrast (like the fin panels and truss). It is a fairly dark color but will be different enough from the black to help accent those items without making them glare out

Most of this evening was using Titebond molding glue for some fillet and using some epoxy to strengthen the truss with the launch lug. I think the super glue is sufficient for the other two that are for symmetry

looking great! I think the rivets will look in place after you get some paint on em. Stand offs turned out great!

I got the first coat of primer on the top section. The rivets don't look too bad now. Still think they would have been better if they were smaller but I'm going to leave them as is

prime1.jpg

RATS...Duty calls

WIll be tied up due to work and won't be able to touch this again until Saturday or Sunday :(

What are those rivets made out of? Marc

They are small brads from Michaels. The things you can pass through paper and spread the ends (like on a manilla envelope). I cut the parts off that would pass through the paper and then used super glue to attach them

I originally was going to use this paint but I tried it on a piece of scrap and didn't like it

paint.jpg

So the rocket is primed and sanded

prime2.jpg

And then I decided to use Metallic Black

Here is the top and bottom

black top.jpg black bottom.jpg

I plan to use some Testor brush on enamel for trim. People think I need to wait the normal 48 hours?

Got to go - time for another coat.....

Back