Phil's Hobby Shop

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bat-mite, while you are technically correct, those use taxes are all but unenforceable. The majority of purchasers don't pay them when owed (yet strangely I would have no idea who those folks are :) )

So in fact (if not if in law), local merchants selling to locals are subsidizing internet merchants selling to other states. Changing this situation requires that state governments eliminate sales taxes entirely :flyingpig: or governments strongarm internet merchants into collecting sales taxes.

Agreed 100%. But the quoted poster said that he buys locally to keep sales tax dollars in his state. He could just as easily do that by buying online and actually paying the use tax. Same difference.

I meant the small portion of the sales tax that is for the city I live in. The use tax is collected by the state and is then squandered, I am pretty certain they do not see whom they collected it from and then send a check to my city. I do pay use tax on items I purchase online from out of state for business.
Amazing how I and others have helped to derail the thread of the OP wanting an endorsement of a vendor. My apologies to Balsa Bob.

Because this one--cent discussion needs 2 more, I will add.

I bet most of us have bought from both. They inherently have pros and cons as both have been well discussed. I bet we are close to, if not at, the equilibream. I bet that the death rate of Brick and Mortar (B&M) stores has flattened, and the boom of online stores is also flattening out. It is important to note that some on-line operations are B&M stores as well. They will tell you that the on-line prices are not available in store.

Then there is Apogee. They are mostly/completely an on-line operation, but there prices are MSRP, or even higher. I have seen some kits go for more than the manufacturer's MSRP. But, I can't think of any on-line rocket store that offers the kind of service and education that they do. Raise your hand if you ever watched a tutorial from Tim (bet a lot of us did). In fact, he says so on his site. His prices aren't the best, but I have had great service (only bought once), watched many videos, and learned a lot. When you go to the discount sites, the description is usually cut and paste from the manufacturer site. Apogee, gives you a lot more info, often from first hand experience with the product, and maybe a tutorial as well. Name an online discount retailer that has actually built and flown most of the kits on multiple motors?

So what's my point? Different strokes for different folks. You get what you pay for. If you want to charge me full MSRP, you better back it up with knowledge and service (on-line or B&M). But if you drop the price, I don't expect you to know more than the description on the box.

Because this one--cent discussion needs 2 more, I will add.

I bet most of us have bought from both. They inherently have pros and cons as both have been well discussed. I bet we are close to, if not at, the equilibream. I bet that the death rate of Brick and Mortar (B&M) stores has flattened, and the boom of online stores is also flattening out. It is important to note that some on-line operations are B&M stores as well. They will tell you that the on-line prices are not available in store.

Then there is Apogee. They are mostly/completely an on-line operation, but there prices are MSRP, or even higher. I have seen some kits go for more than the manufacturer's MSRP. But, I can't think of any on-line rocket store that offers the kind of service and education that they do. Raise your hand if you ever watched a tutorial from Tim (bet a lot of us did). In fact, he says so on his site. His prices aren't the best, but I have had great service (only bought once), watched many videos, and learned a lot. When you go to the discount sites, the description is usually cut and paste from the manufacturer site. Apogee, gives you a lot more info, often from first hand experience with the product, and maybe a tutorial as well. Name an online discount retailer that has actually built and flown most of the kits on multiple motors?

So what's my point? Different strokes for different folks. You get what you pay for. If you want to charge me full MSRP, you better back it up with knowledge and service (on-line or B&M). But if you drop the price, I don't expect you to know more than the description on the box.

CZ you make an excellent point and I agree with you. The Apogee website does have a lot of information. A lot of time must go into it making it as informative as it is.

Apogee has hundreds of my dollars. It'd be more but I only got back into rocketry last summer.

I meant the small portion of the sales tax that is for the city I live in. The use tax is collected by the state and is then squandered, I am pretty certain they do not see whom they collected it from and then send a check to my city. I do pay use tax on items I purchase online from out of state for business.
Amazing how I and others have helped to derail the thread of the OP wanting an endorsement of a vendor. My apologies to Balsa Bob.

I have to take the blame for that. It started when I said they were overpriced. Probably I should have not posted that.

They are local to me and I have been shopping at that store ever since I was a kid when Phil ran the one store on Lake Av here in Fort Wayne.

It sadden me when Phil passed. :( He was a great guy and always taken his time - even for kids. Heck he even let me fly a few of his RC planes behind Lakeside school with him. Great guy!

Anywho I have never dealt with the online side of their business, but in store they have always been focused on customer service and are always willing to go the extra mile for you. (Even if they dont carry it they will tell me where to find it here in FW)

Phil passed!! What @&$^ rock was I under?! I can't count the number times I've talked with him in person over the years.

AcidPaintBall - local to Fort Wayne? Do I or Dennis (couple replies above yours) know you? Feel free to pm me.
- I can see Dennis now... :facepalm: Mike, it's ....!

Last edited:
Phil passed!! What @&$^ rock was I under?! I can't count the number times I've talked with him in person over the years.

AcidPaintBall - local to Fort Wayne? Do I or Dennis (couple replies above yours) know you? Feel free to pm me.
- I can see Dennis now... :facepalm: Mike, it's ....!

Yep I am local to fort wayne. Most likely you dont know me. I have been hiding in the shadows for years. :p

I have been to the SCAM launches a few times but i havent really talked to anyone there, but i have been thinking about joining. Are you apart of the club?

Yep I am local to fort wayne. Most likely you dont know me. I have been hiding in the shadows for years. :p

I have been to the SCAM launches a few times but i havent really talked to anyone there, but i have been thinking about joining. Are you apart of the club?

Hiding... LOL... Yes, we are part of SCAM. Had our monthly local launch last Sunday with a bunch of scouts showing up to fly. Next one I think is 8/17 @ Concordia Seminary (usually starting around 1:30).
No membership required to fly. If you can, bring your rockets and motors and enjoy! Bob from Starlight has been able to make most of the launches, so if you feel the need to pick up some kits or motors, he's usually there.

When I first got into rocketry a few years ago I wanted to build a large Saturn V and went to a local hobby shop to see if they had a 1/100th scale model I could build. I wanted one that had all the main parts, could be disassembled, and wasn't at all looking for a flying version.

The local hobby shop salesman showed me the Estes kit which was for sale for $100 and he darn near talked me into buying it that afternoon. I decided that if I wanted to build a flying model I needed to try a few cheaper ones first, but he was very VERY pushy anyway. He kept telling me that it was a super limited edition, very rare, they flew off the shelves and this was the last one they had, how it would probably be gone if I waited until the weekend to come back, etc.

Later that afternoon I found the exact same model for sale online for just over HALF of what they were asking. A few months later that model was still for sale on their shelf but I'd already bought one online and built it.

If I can find something for a better deal elsewhere, I'll look elsewhere. A better deal doesn't always mean cheaper, it can include excellent customer service even if it's slightly more expensive. Buying a rocket and motors online at the cheapest possible price, but from an online store that hardly ever answers emails, swears at their customers on Facebook, cancels your order if you complain a couple of times, etc. is not at all a better deal. And that exact thing has happened to me too.

So it goes both ways. Neither the local shop nor the online stores are always better. If someone wants to sell me something, offer me the best deal and I'll buy from you.

I purchased 25 Make It Take It rockets from Phil's Hobby Shop. They cam at the expected time. That took longer than I would have preferred, but they were the only one with the product when I ordered. And it did come in the time frame they said it would.

Kirk

I purchased 25 Make It Take It rockets from Phil's Hobby Shop. They cam at the expected time. That took longer than I would have preferred, but they were the only one with the product when I ordered. And it did come in the time frame they said it would.

Kirk

I purchased 2 of these 25 bulk packs at a great price a couple of years ago for Cub Scouts. Can't remember how fast they got here, but came cheap. Didn't get them last year because either out of stock, or not that cheap.

Hiding... LOL... Yes, we are part of SCAM. Had our monthly local launch last Sunday with a bunch of scouts showing up to fly. Next one I think is 8/17 @ Concordia Seminary (usually starting around 1:30).
No membership required to fly. If you can, bring your rockets and motors and enjoy! Bob from Starlight has been able to make most of the launches, so if you feel the need to pick up some kits or motors, he's usually there.
And hopefuly I can get time to finish my website this weekend. But as long as it is not storming I will be there with 10%off on most items including AT,CTI and Estes motors. If you need something call or e-mail me and I will do my best to get it to the launch.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN
574-540-1123
[email protected]

Back