Free Launch Pad Base Score.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
Found this on the side of the Road today for free. It's for Christmas Trees, but a 1010 Rail fits it perfectly.
I'll paint it to look more like a Rocketry Item than a Tree Stand, but it will work nicely, and even has Holes in the Legs to stake it into the Ground. It is not Adjustable, but I never fly Rockets that use Parachutes when there is any Wind anyhow, so that does'nt matter. I'll make a Blast Deflector for the Rail and I'll be good to go.:)

Last edited:
Is the base going to be large enough to handle wind?

Otherwise, I'd love to know what rocket this is :)

Is the base going to be large enough to handle wind?

Otherwise, I'd love to know what rocket this is :)

I don't fly Rockets with Parachutes when there is any Wind. Thought I mentioned that in my Post. It has holes in the Legs for staking it to the Ground too.
The Rocket is a Bashed TLP Gabriel III A/S updogged to 29mm.

Found this on the side of the Road today for free. It's for Christmas Trees, but a 1010 Rail fits it perfectly.
I'll paint it to look more like a Rocketry Item than a Tree Stand, but it will work nicely, and even has Holes in the Legs to stake it into the Ground. It is not Adjustable, but I never fly Rockets that use Parachutes when there is any Wind anyhow, so that does'nt matter. I'l make a Blast Deflector for the Rail and I'll be good to go.:)

Cool find! That seems like it would work well, especially if staked down.

The rocket is very cool! I like how that turned out.

I like looking at posted photos for odd extraneous stuff in the photo. I like the mods to the log chair, but it still seems like reclining is going to be tough. It looks like your cat might be dead. (Or just pretending.)

Cool find! That seems like it would work well, especially if staked down.

The rocket is very cool! I like how that turned out.

I like looking at posted photos for odd extraneous stuff in the photo. I like the mods to the log chair, but it still seems like reclining is going to be tough. It looks like your cat might be dead. (Or just pretending.)

Thanks.

I like doing that about Pics' too. My Log Chair is my Workbench Chair now, as I recently got a new Office Chair for my Computer Desk.
Meow-a-Cat is'nt dead, he's just punked out from the Heat and Humidity. He's still there in the same spot, but laying on his side now.:)

I disassembled the whole thing to scrub down with a Wire Brsh and a #3 Synthetic Steel Wool Pad. Looks like it has seen little use, maybe two Seasons. It will clean up nice, and it figures because it's supposed to be crumby Weather for the next couple of Days.
That will give me some time to make a decent Blast Deflector and plan other Modifications to the unit.
The inside/bottom of the Bowl Piece has a Spikey thing that sticks up in the center, that is intended to keep the Tree from being able to shift when it is set it the Base. This holds the Rail perfectly centered. The Turn Bolts go just deep enough to securely lock the Rail into the Base, but I suspect I will develop some small "Blocks", so as to not have to crank them all the way in to meet the Rail. If I was worried about it being steady, I could always cut four sections of some steel Pipe I have to slide over the Legs to increase the Footprint. I'll likely do this anyhow just to make it look cool.
Maybe I'll use PVC.

Anyway, now I have a new Project to tinker with, so I'm quite excited. Someday I'll get me a Jawstand, but for now, we'll play with this.

I have the exact same Christmas tree stand. In fact I've had it for as long as I can remember. A couple of years ago I repainted the water bowl part with Rustoleum Red using a brush. If only my rockets would turn out so well! Amazing what a little paint can do to and old but still serviceable piece of junk.

You might consider filling the water bowl with sand for ballast, after you fashion your blast deflector of course. Nice find! Ho,Ho, Ho!

It's raining today, so nothing will get done with it. I reallized that I can adapt this to handle all my Launch Pad needs, but mounting my old Scratchbuilt Pads Rod Holder/Blast Deflector into a single Block of Wood that I can hold in the Tree Stand with its Turn Bolts.:)

Painted!

And yup! That's Meow-a-Cat it the Backround. He likes to sleep near the Log Chair.

I have a Stainless Steel Camp Frying Pan that I'll be making my Blast Deflector out of, but not tonight.:yawn:

I found this Hocky Puck shaped piece of Mild Steel in my Shed. It had a Hole in the Center that just happened to be the exact right size to accomodate my LPR Base. I'll have to tweak it a little bit and clean it up, but this preliminary fitting shows how it will work.

As long as it is staked and you aren't launching 4-5 + pound rockets you should be fine

I'm going to start keeping my Eyes open for more Christmas Tree Stands:tree: to do this to. It was fun re-purposing it, and I would not mind making a few or ten more just for the heck of it.
Maybe I could send them as Gifts to some of the great Folks on here that have sent me cool stuff.:present:
Who does'nt need an extra LPR/MPR Pad?:D

Bonus, it gives me a reason to use the Christmas Smileys in my Posts.:rofl:

Last edited:
This thing is working out great. I've got about 15 LPR Launches with the Rod, 1 LPR from the Rail, and two MPR Dual 24mm Cluster Launches from the Rail so far with no problems.
Used a Stainless Steel Camp Cooking Pan for a Blast Deflector for the Rail.

Last edited:
Back